fuso 4x4 rebuild

alan

Explorer
A little more progress, 2 standard fuel tanks are mounted on the right side and the battery box and generator box nearly done on the left side, this battery box will hold 6 of the large yellow top optima's.
DSCF6789.jpg

DSCF6790.jpg

DSCF6791.jpg

alan

Explorer
The six optima batteries and generator will be similar in weight to the fuel tanks, maybe 20kg difference.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
What a 'rags to riches' build. I love it!

I hesitate to question someone with skills I can only aspire to, but reflecting LowTech's concerns about weight distribution, I assume when you say the two fuel tanks on one side will be balanced out by the genny and batteries on the other, you're talking about the weight of the tanks when full, right?

Wouldn't it be better to put one tank and the genny one one side, and the other tank and batteries on the other side, so the weight could be better distributed along the range, from full tanks to empty tanks?

What am I overlooking?

Thanks,

alan

Explorer
I did consider one tank each side but what filling them at the servo would be a pain! balance should not be an issue.
I received my 24v air compressor today it looks great very impressed with it 156lpm cast iron cylinder etc, it even uses oil for lube! its hard to find a good quality compressor these days.
DSCF6794.jpg

DSCF6793.jpg

DSCF6795.jpg

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi alan,

Looks like a good size unit, I think 24v stuff is always a bit harder to find.
A bit hard to tell from the photo, but is the compressor a bolt in or portable unit and does it have a built in tank or will you use a separate one.

Anthony

alan

Explorer
Hi Anthony,
It comes with rubber mount feet so it will be bolted in, you can buy them with tanks but I already had a air tank, they also do a 12v model but it is 106lpm not 156lpm like the 24v unit.

alan

Explorer
Hi Anthony,
The manufacturer is Altaco in Taiwan they have no website but if you google the name you should find them, if you would like one I can organise it for you.

alan

Explorer
Got to tackle the front suspension over the last few days, very pleased with the way its all coming together, hoping to have all the fabrication done over the holidays and then strip it for galvanising and final reconditioning and assembly.
DSCF6831.jpg

DSCF6830.jpg

DSCF6828.jpg

DSCF6833.jpg

bptp7270

Adventurer
Alan,

I agree. Amazing build job. I reckon about the only thing Canter that will be left at the end will be the badge!!!

Anthony.

Oh by the way, I still haven't even plugged the compressor in as yet.

alan

Explorer
Thanks Fella's..
A little more progress today, made the panhard bar mounts up and a temporary panhard bar, also put the front hubs and wheels on so i could sit it on the ground with the weight on the suspension, it only drooped 5-10mm which is great by the time it's finished it should droop maybe 40-50mm..
DSCF6840.jpg

DSCF6839.jpg

DSCF6838.jpg

DSCF6841.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater