Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

First night sleeping in the Rig.

Alright, I slept in the driveway. Don't tell anyone, I'll might loose my man card!

Here's my review of the upstairs mattress:
The temperature got down to 42 degrees F inside the camper. I unzipped my old school Coleman cotton/canvas sleeping bag and used it over me as a blanket.

I was a bit underwhelmed. The mattress didn't get hard at that low temperature, but I wish I would have gone for 6" thick instead of 4" thick, or bought a different mattress. Some of the reviews said it was too hard, but I think the foam wasn't dense or hard enough. If it was denser, I wouldn't have pushed through the 4" as easily. I'm 210 lbs, so no kid.

One thing to note. I can also sleep on my RecPro tan cushions below. They are also stated to be 4" memory foam, but I've got to say they blow away the FoamRush upstairs mattress. I would highly recommend using RecPro over FoamRush. Even though both are stated to be 4" memory foam, RecPro's cushions are thicker, denser, and much more comfortable than FoamRush.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.05.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 9.19.20 PM.png

Last edited:

Mules

My old Colman canvas/cotton sleeping bag is very comfortable. Just don't get it wet.

F78DFBE1-9DA6-4671-8CCD-54D7983B4885.jpeg

Last edited:

highwest

It looks the part though… and that’s all that matters for Instagram anyways, so you’re good! :LOL: I’ve probably said it before, but I can’t say enough good things about the ExPed MegaMat Duo.

If you go the bag/bucket route for a toilet, skip the seats that are made for 5gal buckets. They are way too small to be very comfortable. We ordered a few like this from Amazon and kept the one we liked (this is the actual one we kept):
69656565-72ED-444A-9CE7-87F062C746A5.jpeg
Pros over the bucket:
Bigger seat, more like home
Taller seat, more like home
Folds down small and flattish
Can be used without a bag, if local regulations permit

Mules

Alright, here’s the best part of the design. Large access to the front of the truck, for heat or A/C! Not the most fuel efficient, but I have A/C, heat, stereo, TV (IPad), 120v (400watt), 12v, and dome lights.

And it’s pretty easy to jump in and out of the camper through the back seat doors.

Damn! I wish I opted for the remote start. Then I could turn on/off the truck (heat) from upstairs bedroom.

18EE02D5-9340-4E9B-BD3B-A235B169B647.jpegA065F3FB-731D-492D-B59D-B88072CD54C1.jpegF36C5FF5-718A-4766-A24F-F8E9A404FBAA.jpeg568AC36B-A09B-49AC-9090-5BB8A2123A36.jpeg77F27B19-3691-4C7E-A7E3-FB2D7842854A.jpeg

Last edited:

Mules

It looks the part though… and that’s all that matters for Instagram anyways, so you’re good! :LOL: I’ve probably said it before, but I can’t say enough good things about the ExPed MegaMat Duo.

If you go the bag/bucket route for a toilet, skip the seats that are made for 5gal buckets. They are way too small to be very comfortable. We ordered a few like this from Amazon and kept the one we liked (this is the actual one we kept):
View attachment 745398
Pros over the bucket:
Bigger seat, more like home
Taller seat, more like home
Folds down small and flattish
Can be used without a bag, if local regulations permit

You are 100% right about short height and small diameter of a Luga Loo. I found the tallest bucket I could find for my Luga Loo (18"), but it's a really small hole to sit on. I actually like the option of no bag with the legged design when outside also. If a bear can go in the woods, why can't I. I'm not camping with hundreds of other people at campgrounds or parks, where that could be a big issue.

Here's my tall bucket Luga Loo, and a nice folding option from TrailRecon.

IMG_7367.JPGScreen Shot 2022-10-02 at 10.16.02 AM.png

Last edited:

1000arms

First night sleeping in the Rig. ... The temperature got down to 42 degrees F inside the camper. ...
:unsure: ... Above zero? Not -42 F? ... I thought you were concerned about the mattress in cold weather? ... :cool:

If you ordered the mattress through Amazon, or from Amazon, you might be able to return it or replace it, even if it says "no returns". Just explain that the mattress doesn't seem to be what you ordered, and that it is possible that a soft mattress was mislabeled.

Maybe open and unroll your next mattress inside your Jon boat? Or would that prevent you from properly examining it?

1000arms

... I actually like the option of no bag with the legged design when outside also. If a bear can go in the woods, why can't I. I'm not camping with hundreds of other people at campgrounds or parks, where that could be a big issue. ...
Have you consider making your own device? Perhaps one that could be used with a bucket, with a bag, and open? Or maybe one for use open, and one for use with a bucket or bag?

Maybe a seat that slides in to a receiver hitch? And a privacy curtain for less remote areas? Something that could easily be used in the middle of the night while camping in your Jon boat? ... I will suggest using a bucket/bag unless you plan to be driving away soon after use. :cool:

Mules

Have you consider making your own device? Perhaps one that could be used with a bucket, with a bag, and open? Or maybe one for use open, and one for use with a bucket or bag?

Maybe a seat that slides in to a receiver hitch? And a privacy curtain for less remote areas? Something that could easily be used in the middle of the night while camping in your Jon boat? ... I will suggest using a bucket/bag unless you plan to be driving away soon after use. :cool:
If it’s hitch mounted the bag is mandatory!! ?

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 5.46.45 PM.png

Last edited:

Mules

Alright, another change of subject. Let's talk cooking! Long term, I want a way to cook both inside and outside the camper. I still love cooking bacon and eggs on my cast Iron skillet over a fire, but I'm ready for something new. First up, let's talk cooking outside.

I'm pretty excited! I ordered a SouthwestDisk Discada, also called a Cowboy Wok and a number of other names. What do you folks think?

Also I don't want to lug a 20lb. propane tank around, and want to get a 5lb tank. I'd like to see how/where you folks are mounting your propane tanks, and if any of you are refilling them.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 7.08.16 AM.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk