Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

Making some bracket / hinges for my pop top stabilizers. Next up is bending some conduit.

IMG_6391.JPG

ITTOG

You may have designed your lift stabilizers the way they show in the picture on purpose, but if not, you may want to consider turning the top one over. This would allow them to straighten out so that they do not bend inward into your living space.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mules

You may have designed your lift stabilizers the way they show in the picture on purpose, but if not, you may want to consider turning the top one over. This would allow them to straighten out so that they do not bend inward into your living space.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Good catch and they do stick into the interior a bit when up. The way they are designed, you can see that they won't go over center. The good part about this is that in combination with the tension from the struts, the top is very stable front to back as well as side to side. The bad part is that since the vertical tubes don't line up, I can't easily put a push pin through them to lock them in the up position.

Mules

Could someone post a picture of 4 Wheel Camper's upper bed platform without a mattress on it? I like their slide out bed platform, but I don't understand how it works. If it was just two pieces of plywood, wouldn't there be a lump where one slides over the other? Also there's an option that you can slide it out to a queen or even further to a king. I must be missing something.

Last edited:

Mules

Here's a three platform upper bed. Simplest design and I won't need a trap door, since my opening is big enough without it.

Mules

Here's the last option for a bed platform, a push up bed. Sadly, I don't think I can make this work with the lift hardware in the way.

shirk

You could do a drop down bunk like in this van conversion. They use sailing rigging to pull it up tight to the ceiling when not in use, then it rests on the lower platform when in use.

Mules

You could do a drop down bunk like in this van conversion. They use sailing rigging to pull it up tight to the ceiling when not in use, then it rests on the lower platform when in use.

Now I haven't seen this one before. Very interesting.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 5.41.39 PM.png

Mules

Well I can't stop thinking about a push up bed. I just have to figure out how to access the front lift mechanism to make this work. I'll have to experiment with my lift system a bit first, but below is an example of a VW pop up bed.

Last edited:

pith helmet

Makes me wish (again) that the JKU didn’t have the roll bar designed like it is. A bed stowed up top would be great insulation for heat and noise when running all those interstate miles.

Mules

Makes me wish (again) that the JKU didn’t have the roll bar designed like it is. A bed stowed up top would be great insulation for heat and noise when running all those interstate miles.
It would be nice to keep the mattress, blanket and pillows up there, as well. Also the push up bed would keep the tent material out of sight and the bottom would be nice and tidy. Just pull the bed down to use.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle