good theory as to how it missed the mark.

nickw

Adventurer
Precisely why I got one. Could use a F150 but needed 8 seats. The heavy Tow Expedition is definitely different vehicle than the standard version in how Ford packages them.

Cost!!!!! Is a huge factor!!!! You can buy a fully kitted F150 for less than a fairly basic Limited trim Expedition.

The standard Expedition is sort of the awd mini Van alternative that comes with a full sized spare tire😆. The heavy tow Expedition has some considerable differences that easily place it into the F150 zone of work capability like proper 2spd transfer case, Heavy cooling system, 3.73 HD gear set, etc. The two might look the same but there are quite a few differences.

But cost is huge.
When I bought in 2019 the lower trim versions with lower msrp were actually pretty rare and dealers were not dealing. I found a white Limited with most of the options I liked wasn’t easy dealer wanted msrp plus $1000 pushing it to $78,000

My local dealer didn’t have any limiteds, had one of the first stealth packages which was just a jazzed up basic limited. Then they had a pile of Platinum trims fully kitted out like 12 of them!!! The MSRP was 85k!!!

I got my Platinum for 75k then tacked on the $3500 Ford cash deal. I bought a freaking Platinum loaded to the max for nearly $7000 less!! Than the limited I liked with some extras 😆.

Yeah the price of these full sized SUVs really impact how people shop them. They are not cheap!! Ford even started selling a version without the 3rd row and dropped the price some. Obviously they knew price was a big factor
You also have the HD rear diff, 9.75" I think? People spend huge dollars and LC's and IG's not to mention all these trucks that are $75k+, I just think the Expo like you have is an excellent reasonably HD alternative that ticks a lot of boxes.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You also have the HD rear diff, 9.75" I think? People spend huge dollars and LC's and IG's not to mention all these trucks that are $75k+, I just think the Expo like you have is an excellent reasonably HD alternative that ticks a lot of boxes.
Yeah that rear end is the heavy truck gear set same one you see in the heavy F150 packaging. Its still running the independent rear suspension tho. But honestly unless your towing heavy a bunch the rear suspension has been nice. I can see heavy towing would get a little old with the independent suspension doing the typical loose feel over the solid rear axle feel. A friend had a good observation/description. They handle like a big Crown Vic to a certain point regarding corners in town etc. Which isn’t a bad thing considering the size. Its a big vehicle.

nickw

Adventurer
Yeah that rear end is the heavy truck gear set same one you see in the heavy F150 packaging. Its still running the independent rear suspension tho. But honestly unless your towing heavy a bunch the rear suspension has been nice. I can see heavy towing would get a little old with the independent suspension doing the typical loose feel over the solid rear axle feel. A friend had a good observation/description. They handle like a big Crown Vic to a certain point regarding corners in town etc. Which isn’t a bad thing considering the size. Its a big vehicle.
IRS doesn't scare me at all, it offers handling and clearance benefits, I actually thing it's a fine idea....your point stands for load carrying capability, but IRS seems to work on military rigs like Hummers, the new JLTV, Pinzgauers (sp) and a number of other MIL spec rigs....conceptually at least.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
In all honesty, the Expe (dition) is kind of ugly and soulless. I had to learn auto mechanics out of necessity, and from that I decided life is way too short for boring vehicles.

nickw

Adventurer
In all honesty, the Expe (dition) is kind of ugly and soulless. I had to learn auto mechanics out of necessity, and from that I decided life is way too short for boring vehicles.
It's not a fashion show, or is it? Practical simple rigs of yesteryear are cool and fashionable today.....25+ years ago Landcruisers, Gwagons and Defenders were not nearly as "cool" as they are now, they were work vehicles, people wanted Cadillacs and sports cars, now it's all about Expo cool.....maybe somebody should design a modern iteration of an old school Defender and charge $70k+ for it, oh wait.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
It's not a fashion show, or is it? Practical simple rigs of yesteryear are cool and fashionable today.....25+ years ago Landcruisers, Gwagons and Defenders were not nearly as "cool" as they are now, they were work vehicles, people wanted Cadillacs and sports cars, now it's all about Expo cool.....maybe somebody should design a modern iteration of an old school Defender and charge $70k+ for it, oh wait.
It’s about fun, driving as I see fit, and hopefully selecting a vehicle I can drive for 20 years.

I’ll add that ford/gm/stellantis are the Fashion Plate. They’re non-starters. I don’t even look at their products.

nickw

Adventurer
It’s about fun, driving as I see fit, and hopefully selecting a vehicle I can drive for 20 years.

I’ll add that ford/gm/stellantis are the Fashion Plate. They’re non-starters. I don’t even look at their products.
I don't think it gets much better than a F250 w/7.3 or a Ram 2500 w/6.4 if you are looking for a practical 20+ year HD rig, simple with wide support and a long standing reputation.

Expedition / overland means different things to different people but for most of us, including the guy with the Ford Expo you said was soulless above, it's more about practicality and getting places in comfort that being in love with the way it looks.

I agree you gotta drive stuff that gets your blood boiling - I'd put a Ferrari or vintage muscle car in that territory, not a expo rig but YMMV.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don't think it gets much better than a F250 w/7.3 or a Ram 2500 w/6.4 if you are looking for a practical 20+ year HD rig, simple with wide support and a long standing reputation.

Expedition / overland means different things to different people but for most of us, including the guy with the Ford Expo you said was soulless above, it's more about practicality and getting places in comfort that being in love with the way it looks.

I agree you gotta drive stuff that gets your blood boiling - I'd put a Ferrari or vintage muscle car in that territory, not a expo rig but YMMV.
Pretty funny how a heavy utility vehicle needs to have capacity to safely carry gear and people yet still be magically zippy and exciting 😆. Anyone see that Simpsons episode where he gets to design a car?

nickw

Adventurer
Pretty funny how a heavy utility vehicle needs to have capacity to safely carry gear and people yet still be magically zippy and exciting 😆. Anyone see that Simpsons episode where he gets to design a car?
I have not seen that.

It wasn't too long ago when big 1T rigs had less than 200 hp and people just knew they were going to get there slow, but they'd get there.....

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The Hilux, Dmax, Ranger

This is kind of a prove for how much of a practical vehicle the trucks are. Everywhere.
Their readily availability, price and relative comfort is hard to overlook.
Even in the EU, where there is a less of truck culture compared to the US/AUS, you still can get a diesel truck with a stick shift and the modern amenities cheaper than IG.
It's great to feel sentimental about the IG and what it represents, but practically speaking, a Ford with a locker in the US and a diesel HiLux in Australia will always be the practical choice for the middle class.
Maybe the IG is not even a middle-class / working-class SUV and only just appears to carry the attributes of a working-class vehicle.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This is kind of a prove for how much of a practical vehicle the trucks are. Everywhere.
Even in the EU, where there is a less of truck culture compared to the US/AUS, you still can get a diesel truck with a stick shift and the modern amenities cheaper than IG.
It's great to feel sentimental about the IG and what it represents, but practically speaking, a Ford with a locker in the US and a diesel HiLux in Australia will always be the practical choice for the middle class.
Maybe the IG is not even a middle-class / working-class SUV and only just appears to carry the attributes of a working-class vehicle.
There were a few Ranger Raptors in Italy during the trip I did last June. I was surprised how many we did see. However they were huge in comparison to most vehicles being used.

nickw

Adventurer
It's hard to separate emotion from practicality - I think IG is pulling on those heartstrings in a big way, IMO.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Precisely why I got one. Could use a F150 but needed 8 seats. The heavy Tow Expedition is definitely different vehicle than the standard version in how Ford packages them.

Cost!!!!! Is a huge factor!!!! You can buy a fully kitted F150 for less than a fairly basic Limited trim Expedition.

The standard Expedition is sort of the awd mini Van alternative that comes with a full sized spare tire😆. The heavy tow Expedition has some considerable differences that easily place it into the F150 zone of work capability like proper 2spd transfer case, Heavy cooling system, 3.73 HD gear set, etc. The two might look the same but there are quite a few differences.

But cost is huge.
When I bought in 2019 the lower trim versions with lower msrp were actually pretty rare and dealers were not dealing. I found a white Limited with most of the options I liked wasn’t easy dealer wanted msrp plus $1000 pushing it to $78,000

My local dealer didn’t have any limiteds, had one of the first stealth packages which was just a jazzed up basic limited. Then they had a pile of Platinum trims fully kitted out like 12 of them!!! The MSRP was 85k!!!

I got my Platinum for 75k then tacked on the $3500 Ford cash deal. I bought a freaking Platinum loaded to the max for nearly $7000 less!! Than the limited I liked with some extras 😆.

Yeah the price of these full sized SUVs really impact how people shop them. They are not cheap!! Ford even started selling a version without the 3rd row and dropped the price some. Obviously they knew price was a big factor

why not just get a lower trim level?

no one needs the hundreds of bells and whistles they cram into these $70k SUVs these days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater