Haggis' Multi-Use Tundra Build

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
That's a good lookin' Tundra. We almost ended up with an '06 that same color of green, but got a much better deal on this one. Are you happy with the ARB bumper? I'd like to have a HD bumper on this one mainly because of this being a high deer strike part of the world, but I'm not real happy the way all the available aftermarket bumbers for the Tundra stick out so far.

That's my approach also. I like to know how everthing went together so if there's a problem further on down the road I have a good understanding of how to mend it and make it right. I'll tell you though, I was really surprised how easy it was to put a mild lift on this thing as compared to the Jeeps and Dodges I tinkered with before.
The bumper sticks out just alittle,gotta ask 12lb plastic or 170lbs of steel for a deer strike? I do feel safe with the arb bumper up front. That was the forth thing I did after I bought the truck. I did do the bilstein coilovers but when the bumper was installed it drug the front end down. The last mod I did was the lift and that was about a year ago. I do like the water tank idea,I just purchased a Horizon trailer so my water needs are met. I would like to see more of the build of your tundra in the future.You have a solid platform to build on and a nice start.I did not have any problems with installing anything to date,do your research really good and it should all come together nicely. Here is a shot of the front and rear.
trucklfitinstall020.jpg

trucklfitinstall018.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've been lovin' your Tundra forever Boreggo 60... Here is a shot of the one I had to sell to buy a one ton for towing...:oops:

Forgot to mention f+r ARB lockers, magnaflow, airaid etc etc. Kinda makes me wanna barf, looking at these pics again. Boo hoo.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We did a trip from Vancouver towing our 14RT through Yellowstone, Jackson, Park City, Zion, across to Ventura and the two weeks of surfing up the coast. The final nail in the Tundra coffin was losing a wheel while towing through the twisties on the road from Ukiah out to Fort Bragg. The wife was less than impressed. I had three similar incidents, (all due to mechanic errors at our former dealer, who of course blamed all problems on "non oem equipment" and left us holding the bag full of owed money. Destination Toyota Vancouver BC!). I loved everything about that truck except the lack of roll-down rear windows...

2 pics... Happy days in Jellystone, unhappier in Mendocino!

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0210.JPG
    DSC_0210.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 311

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Wheel

Odd I am wondering why did the wheel fall off? You said something about not being OM parts.what happened or what part failed? Your ride looks just like mine did stock.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
wheel and truck parting ways...

We had a rear brake/wheel seal job done. Toyota "updated" the axleshaft and they no longer make a seal to fit the original shaft. So after two episodes of all gear oil puking out and ruining shoes, drums, etc and leaving it un-driveable they replaced the whole axle shaft to fit the new seals. Huhhh? It was then that they didn't torque wheel nuts properly, or seat wheel studs properly in the new shaft. This led to the wheel leaving the truck. They blamed it all on the RCD 6" lift and a set of hub-centric wheel spacers. I have been over this with so many different people with different opinions. The majority blame the dealer, (including engineers, vehicle inspectors, mechanics etc), only one, (Downey Off Road) agreed with the dealer. I offered to go halfers on the repair bill with the dealer but they didn't even bother to call me with an answer to that offer. I have officially begun the slander campaign!

Forgot to add that no parts failed. The lug nuts backed off. And the dealer stated that since the factory lugs were designed for the factory wheels not 7076 spacers, that was the problem. Case closed.

Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Uncool, Sounds like the dealers fault to me. I also have a RCD on mine,I did the install in my garage and have yet had no problems.I only take my truck to the dealer if I can not do the work myself. I had them do a rotation for free and found half the lugs were still loose and one wheel was not on right and causing it to wobble. Man was I pissed. I just changed dealers and happy now with the guys in Carlsbad. I even found some wires unplugged one day after they worked under the hood.I always check after they do anything to the truck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, I should have re-checked stuff myself. We were in a hurry to get on the road etc etc. I bought the truck from a friend and he had put the spacers on it and I kinda forgot they were there the day the wheel came off. I felt something weird and pulled over to check for loose nuts, tire pressure etc. I couldn't find anything wrong so guessed it was the 30 odd gallons of water sloshing around in the trailer tank on the super windy road. Drove another mile, felt something weird again, looked around for a place to pull over again and noticed a 35" MTZ rollin' along in the on coming lane.:Wow1: Beamers and Miatas scattering in all directions! Got helped by some guy just down from a "crop check":sombrero: Just another experience in life. So the wife lost all trust in the truck and refused to travel in it anymore. Can't really blame her. The whole fiasco had us broken and stranded three times in two months. Sooo I had to find this big boy on craigs in Oakland, and start to build again... what a freakin tragedy:ylsmoke:

Attachments

• DSCN0144.JPG
    DSCN0144.JPG
    489.3 KB · Views: 271

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
That is really unfortunate that had to happen, I have nothing but kind words for my tundra. Looks like the new rig would pull a tree house.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ummm, yeah. A tree house in a biiiiiig tree... It is not a Tundra though. The 03 had such an awesome ride with the RCD. I just loved it. The 350 is roomier and I don't worry about the tail waggin' the dog when I tow, and I guess putting $20,000 BACK in the bank was a nice change of pace! My Tundra went to a great home ( the guys wife still hugs me every time we meet up!), so I am happy for them. When my house sells and we move into our trailer for a year of fun in the southwest and mex I will be soooo happy! Maybe I'll see you on the road down Oceanside way. I want to surf at San Onofre on my way south this time.

And sorry for the threadjack Mr Haggis! I will follow your build! Enjoy that 4.7...

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Be nice to see you. San Onofre is just 17 miles from my home, I use to work there as armed security.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
And sorry for the threadjack Mr Haggis! I will follow your build! Enjoy that 4.7...

Mr. Haggis...that's funny. Wait a minute! Now you're making me feel old.

No problems, you two seemed to be enjoying yourselves and I've got nothing going on with the truck right now. We just got done doing the final load out for our UP trip and truck mods are way at the back of my mind.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I get called sir and look behind me for my dad... Have fun up in the maritimes. My family is of the Duff clan and there are quite a few left in Nova Scotia. I haven't been there since I was a kid but it looks beautiful in pics. Houses being about 20% the cost of where I live, I might be seeing it some day soon too!

gnarshredder

Tire Question

Haggis-

How are you liking those tires (Dean SXTs in 285/75/16s) thus far? Are they loud? Are they wearing OK? 10 ply? Those are one of my considerations. Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I really like the Deans and am currently running them on both the LJ and the Tundra. They have great road manners with good handling and great grip in the snow and rain. On my Jeep they are not noisy at all but with the extra weight of the Tundra they have abit of a growl, but nowhere as loud as a full on mud terrain tire. I've got 15,000 on the set on the Jeep and at this wear rate I'll probably get around 45,000 to 50,000 miles out of them. I rotate them every oil change. They work great in the mud as they are on the more aggressive side of all terrain tread design. I haven't had them in sand yet, but will find out how well they work when we hit the Core Banks of NC come September.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater