Hello Miss FJ62. Flaco's dream.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Ferg,

I hear so many great things about the treadwrights. I wish they had more selections for 15" wheels. I've got the stock FJ62 wheels and the Marty McFly wheels (8x15). I'm not likely to drive the truck in any hardcore wheeling situations, I'm almost thinking about finding some used 33x12.50s to run.

My big question and consideration now is whether I want to do an SOA or OME type lift. I am seriously leaning SOA. My wife on the other hand is fine with stock height, maybe even OME lift... her justification--- our daughter is able to climb in the truck by herself. Even in the 4Runner, she cannot. I said she can grow into it.:coffeedrink:

Well, after MoGas and I lifted his red 62, it was a damn nice ride with the OME.

For reliability and servicability, I'd stay with the stock suspension configuration. That way, if you ever have to replace an entire housing or something of that nature, you won't need to muck around with welding on new brackets and such.

On the wheels and tires, I went with the 16s for my 80(came with 15s that year) because I want to upgrade to the FF axle from newer models, and the discs require 16" wheels to clear everything...something to consider.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
If it were a bad seal, I would have seen gear oil in my ATF, correct? Still need to crawl under the truck this morning.

Not necessarily. ATF is a much lighter oil and can migrate far easier. Plus, the transfer case is physically lower than the transmission.

Not necessarily. ATF is a much lighter oil and can migrate far easier. Plus, the transfer case is physically lower than the transmission.

Reading on Mud, ATF in the T-Case isnt as bad as gear oil in the transmission. Some even run the ATF in their transfer case, not recommended per some, but not a huge worry. I'll go grab some more 90weight and change the oil in the t-case. Havent had the time for that yet.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Well, after MoGas and I lifted his red 62, it was a damn nice ride with the OME.

For reliability and servicability, I'd stay with the stock suspension configuration. That way, if you ever have to replace an entire housing or something of that nature, you won't need to muck around with welding on new brackets and such.

On the wheels and tires, I went with the 16s for my 80(came with 15s that year) because I want to upgrade to the FF axle from newer models, and the discs require 16" wheels to clear everything...something to consider.

Spring over is a slippery slope.....

Ugh. So... transmission is slipping badly in second today while taking my daughter to school. By the time it warmed up it was fine though.

I'm about to call it quits on the automatic and collect the bloody parts for the manual swap.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Ugh. So... transmission is slipping badly in second today while taking my daughter to school. By the time it warmed up it was fine though.

I'm about to call it quits on the automatic and collect the bloody parts for the manual swap.

You need to add coffee to the fluid in the morning. I'm sure that would help. :sombrero:

Just got the camera back from my wife.
65830_573354077291_62002887_32706263_2962508_n.jpg

And....
64092_573354027391_62002887_32706262_986207_n.jpg

64092_573354022401_62002887_32706261_6789823_n.jpg

Pictures dont do it justice.... (daughter played with all the buttons on camera and changed settings) but the oil out of the transfer case is much thinner and is redder than good old fashioned used gear oil...
So, at least the t-case has some fresh new oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad