Horse or stock trailer conversions...

mr_ed

Toolbag
...why do you rarely see them? There's plenty of cargo trailer conversions out there, but the google machine only turns up a handful of camperized horse trailers.

I have several friends who have enclosed trailers, and the built quality seems rather hit-or-miss. I have personal experience with conventional RV trailers and I know their build quality tends to be subpar at best. I don't have experience with horse or stock trailers, but at a glance they seem like they would be constructed better than a conventional enclosed trailer or camper (i.e. steel or aluminum body, versus plywood and 2x3 lumber shoddily stapled together with some siding material slapped on). Also, they're obviously designed to have multiple 1000 lb+ animals dorking around inside, and a lot of horse camps are a long ways up potholed, washboarded FS type roads, and yet I've never heard of them falling apart. All that, combined with the fact that there seem to be a fair number of decent examples available at any given time for reasonably low prices, you would think that they would be an ideal foundation for all the DIYers out there who want a simple, rugged, and unique camper. I would think it would be kind of like the difference between a regular RV motorhome and a well-done skoolie conversion. Regardless of what some might think of the whole skoolie conversion thing, there's no denying that compared to regular RV construction, school buses are built like tanks.

My wife and I are beginning to plot our post-retirement course, and it looks like it's going to involve a camper of some sort. I've noticed several gooseneck horse trailers for sale near me that have small living quarters in the front (queen bed over the hitch, kitchen, dinette, and bathroom). It occurred to me that it might be pretty neat to use something like that as a base, knock out all the horse related stuff and finish off the interior of the stable section. It would already have the AC/DC, plumbing, and LP systems more-or-less in place, but otherwise would be an almost blank slate to finish out however we wanted. Properly executed, it could be a pretty unique camper without the chintzy mass-production RV feel, and might hold up better going up into National Forests and whatnot.

To be clear here: I'm not suggesting using them as an "off road" camper. I'm only wondering if, in a world where most commercial RVs are really just designed to go down the highway from RV park to RV park, would a converted horse or stock trailer be more up to the task of handling FS roads and byways without falling apart in a matter of a few years?

What am I missing about these trailers? Is there something about them that I'm unaware of that makes them really unfeasible for a DIY camper project?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
It’s a great question & thought. I grew up farming and ranching, and as you can imagine used a lot of horse, and stock trailers. We use them hard, dragging them all over rough ground, roads and fields.

The short answer, is they are heavy and generally built better, and lower to the ground........but not all conversions are the same.
They are built for hard/commercial use. Much like an Ambulance versus a box truck.

All that said, do it. Just know it will be heavier than its RV counterpart. So adjust accordingly. Your kodiak would not mind the weight.
If you start a build thread id watch,

mr_ed

Toolbag
The short answer, is they are heavy and generally built better, and lower to the ground........but not all conversions are the same.
They are built for hard/commercial use. Much like an Ambulance versus a box truck.

All that said, do it. Just know it will be heavier than its RV counterpart. So adjust accordingly. Your kodiak would not mind the weight.
If you start a build thread id watch,

Good to know, I was wondering about weight. I take it that this even applies to the newer aluminum ones?

Weight is definitely a concern for me...my truck is a Chevy K2500 (i.e. 3/4 ton 4x4), not a Kodiak. This means my max towing weight is 8600 lbs, and I'm not one of those guys who's OK with blowing past that limit just because "it's a big block!!" haha.

Thanks for all the insight!

jkam

nomadic man
There are some really nice horse haulers that have living quarters up front.
Some are huge, but others not. If you are OK with a small living area, the back would make for a nice place to haul your motorcycle or other toy.
You might even be able to get the back made up for hauling toys instead of horses if you find the right manufacturer.
10239_201904093498.JPG

pigsammy

For years I used a 12 foot stock trailer, then a 16 foot aluminum goose neck, as dual purpose trailers. Horses were hauled and unloaded then the trailer used to camp in. The 12 footer was very basic, a box to put cots in. The 16 foot gooseneck with two compartments allowed for building out the front a bit and using modular furniture and cots, basic but awesome to be under cover in bad weather.
From time to time horses were exchanged for four wheelers, or dog kennels were added. We camped and hunted in Colorado,Iowa, Texas, Mississippi, Florida, both Carolinas as well as trail riding and rodeos.
The trailers are well built and rugged, on the heavier side, less well furnished. They are made to soak up mile after mile while pulling well, and not fall apart with a little abuse. You will give up a little width on most, and 6-8 inches of interior room can be huge. The aluminum ones last a long time and hold resale value.( My last two increased in value markedly!) Some trailer manufacturers offer open, cargo-type interiors that are more easily retrofitted.

Definitely doable and functional, but probably most useful if livestock is a part of your lifestyle.

canuck 1

nautical disaster
I have one, 24' goose that I converted years ago into a toyhauler after losing my stick built toyhauler to the wind. They are heavier than a cargo trailer but easier to pull than a regular travel trailer or fifth wheel and way better in the wind. I did space the axles for more clearance.

mr_ed

Toolbag
Thanks canuck and pigsammy! Were I to ever do this, I'd probably look for one of the trailers built for draft horses that are full width (there's actually one for sale on CL a few hours south of me), and build the whole interior out, skoolie-style. Unfortunately, to make such a project even halfway financially feasible, a decent shape trailer would have to pretty much fall into my lap for a song. That full-width one south of me is listed for $11k...by the time I spent the money building it out I could just buy a stick built camper and do my best to live with the poor build quality haha.

r&ktravel

I have been kicking around the idea of an expedition campers\vehicles for about 6-8 years. I have thought about Ambulance conversions, truck camper, Earthroamer styled alternatives and Sprinter vans. Trying to balance size, capability, long term comfort, affordability and creepiness (ambulance). The latest idea is an "expedition" gooseneck trailer, according to my wife I have been fixating on for a couple of months. I started going down the rabbit hole with factory tours of different local-ish companies. (Intech, ATC) which lead to searching for different alternatives, googling different high quality manufactures. Coming across Living Vehicle https://www.livingvehicle.com/ out of California, they look great but way way way out of my price range. Then I found 1492 Coachworks https://1492coachworks.com/ and Outlaws conversions http://www.outlawconversions.com/. better but really, still expensive. Researching some more, they both start with Cimarron custom trailers https://www.cimarrontrailers.com which makes there Freedom and Transtar line , Freedom is a toy hauler and Transtar is a cargo trailer, built the same way as there horse and livestock. Sundowner also offers there Workhorse Cargo trailer. Ideally in my mind something built like these two companies do in a 16-20' main deck plus the 8' area over the gooseneck, for an overall length of no more then 28', because of the gooseneck it wouldn't be any longer then a 20 bumper pull. I don't see this as an off-road camper but more then capable of washboard and unmaintained roads, think sprinter capable. other things I would asks them to do would be.... increase the height 18 to create a basement for tanks, electrical, and storage. 8.5' tall, 2 8k axles with air ride and breaks frame for windows, door and vents. enclose the riser for additional security. I have also been looking at KCT windows which offer Aluminum cover for additional security.
What are your overall thought on using a gooseneck trailer?
I would finish the inside myself, but have them install/ engineer locations for fresh water (100gallon), grey and fuel tanks. making the camper run on solar/ 24v battery eclectic and diesel for heat, hot water, small emergency generator and extra emergency fuel for the truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach