How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Waiting on more info on the hinges, looks like a great solution.
The engineering of the hinges and the tailgate reinforcement is done, and I've been running a pre-production set from the manufacturing guys on my Jeep for the past couple of weeks. Everything seems good to go, so I've turned over the project to "the company", it's now up to them to decide if/how/when to offer the tailgate reinforcement and hinges commercially.

Concho

Dont know if you are still looking into ways to dress up your LJ, but here's my two cents. That top reminds me of the old metal World Tops they used to put on Postal CJ-8's in Alaska and it would be awsome to see a modern CJ-8 and the ability to convert from the full top to single cab. Also do the styling of the old school CJ-8 with a moderate width 33's, small lift,and bumperettes.

Also, did you used to have a website for a CJ-8 Overland that took a World Top and put windows in it?

BTW, ditch the day job and make some tops, you'd make a killing.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Dont know if you are still looking into ways to dress up your LJ, but here's my two cents. That top reminds me of the old metal World Tops they used to put on Postal CJ-8's in Alaska and it would be awsome to see a modern CJ-8 and the ability to convert from the full top to single cab. Also do the styling of the old school CJ-8 with a moderate width 33's, small lift,and bumperettes.

I had a World Cab on my CJ-8 daily driver for years, and I loved the styling, so my goal was to design a modernized and improved version (these photos were taken when the new hardtop was still in primer).

SafariAndWC3.jpg

SafariAndWC.jpg

SafariAndWC2.jpg

SafariAndWC4.jpg

Yes, there's a half cab version too. Here's a couple of photos of one under construction:

Spy78.jpg

Also, did you used to have a website for a CJ-8 Overland that took a World Top and put windows in it?
Yes: http://home.roadrunner.com/~jscherb/scrambler/

Love the top, ever thought of the same thing with a TJ?

Yes, a TJ version is in the works, below is a photo/drawing concept of what it will look like. I designed the molds so that any length top can be produced, from a half cab up to a full hardtop for a Scrambler.

PWM1-3.jpg

BTW, ditch the day job and make some tops, you'd make a killing.
I don't have a day job :). But I did license the rights to the top to Gr8Tops, they're working on bringing them to market now.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Someone suggested to me that I should do a higher version of the roof for Expedition use. Since the hardtop is modular, a new and different roof panel is pretty easy to do.

ExpeditionRoof1.jpg

Or:

ExpeditionRoof2.jpg

What do you think?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Good idea. Now make the largest version flip forward into a tent like a Flippac.
Since the mounting flange at the top of the side panels is flat all around the Jeep, it's likely that with minimal engineering some existing flip-up tent could be made to work.

I'd be happy to work with one of the roof top tent companies on a flip-up version. It's probably something I'd need their expertise to do well. If any of those companies are interested, all they've got to do is contact me :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you build that i will come. I beleive i could add troop seats with that extra height?
There would definitely be enough room for troop seats above the wheel wells with the higher roof. You'd still probably have to move/modify the rear bars of the factory "sport bars", because the troop seat passengers in the back would hit their head on the bars, but other than that, yes, troop seats would work out fine under this roof.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Any word on when this might be available and what the projected cost might be? (even a ball park cost would be a help)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any word on when this might be available and what the projected cost might be? (even a ball park cost would be a help)

I've been told by the moderators of this forum that I have to keep this thread non-commercial or risk them closing it. That's why I've never mentioned the name of the company (even though others have).

I think I can say that I was at their facility all last week helping them with some engineering changes they've been making to improve the efficiency of manufacture for the tops, and they've made great progress - I'm really pleased with the improvements they've made.

I also brought home a trailer load of Safari Cab parts, which are going into my trailer project, so parts are being made :)

Hopefully they will make an announcement soon ;)

Anyone going to the PA All Breeds Jeep show in York, PA in July? The company may be a vendor at that show, you can ask them yourself...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few photos from the show:

York4.jpg

Obstacle3.jpg

Obstacle2.jpg

I had the top set up with a hard panel on one side and a roll-up side curtain on the other so people could see both configurations:

York3.jpg

pajeepman

Adventurer
I talked with Jeff about these for a little. The ones there were not production pieces and they looked sweet. I think these tops will a be a big hit! I would love his yellow trailer with the top on it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I talked with Jeff about these for a little. The ones there were not production pieces and they looked sweet. I think these tops will a be a big hit! I would love his yellow trailer with the top on it.
Thanks! The black one is my "hand built" prototype, but the red one is "near production", using parts from the company's molds. The parts making up the camper top for the trailer also came from the same molds.

These half cab parts are derived from the same mold masters:

HalfCabPrimed5.jpg

The half cab has similar styling to the half cab I built for my Retro Wrangler pickup:

HalfCabProject3.jpg

I'm using this half cab to build the prototype for the roll-bar pass-through feature; because these tops are modular, they can be installed without removing or cutting the Jeep's roll bar - the rear wall fits under the roll bar and the roof panel bolts on above it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal