How would you outfit this custom LJ?

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
That half cab would be great. Wife doesnt like it because the wrangler loses the "Jeep" look to her. If I could have a half cab and keep the roll bar to I could go back to a regular jeep if need be. This would require a bulkhead that could be removed though

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That half cab would be great. Wife doesnt like it because the wrangler loses the "Jeep" look to her.

Just this morning I was mocking up how the half cab would look with LJ roll bars passing through it:

LJRollBars1.jpg

I plan to install this half cab on a friend's LJ next weekend, so maybe I'll post photos of that installation.

If I could have a half cab and keep the roll bar to I could go back to a regular jeep if need be. This would require a bulkhead that could be removed though

I have built a prototype of a "quick release" bulkhead, it's sitting in my workshop right now. Haven't installed it on a Jeep yet though.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Very cool.... not much else I can say except if it works...

:wings:

Yup, it works... here it is installed with the roll-bar pass-through feature. Too bad Jeep was too cheap to paint the roll bars all the way :)

First posed With the Retro Wrangler, its design inspiration:

BobTest5.jpg

BobTest12.jpg

BobTest10.jpg

And next to with the full-length version:

BobTest1.jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I've been lurking on this thread for a while. That is some beautiful design work, and the styling is spot on! I think that full top is a great option for the LJ. The half top is very nice too (what would we expect after the other work?)! And that retro Wrangler pick up... Freaking gorgeous!:Wow1:

Modeler

W1DCS
Does the half cab allow you to keep the factory sound bar or do they speakers and dome lights need to be repositioned?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Does the half cab allow you to keep the factory sound bar or do they speakers and dome lights need to be repositioned?

For the half cab I posted photos of earlier today, the speaker pods need to be moved.

But for the extended cab version pictured below, the speaker pods can remain in place:

BobExtCab4-1.jpg

Here's a photo of the extended cab with the roof panel off showing the space for the speakers:

SpeakerPods-1.jpg

406to417

Explorer
Here's a photo of the laser-cut pre-production hinges for the tailgate reinforcement.

ProdHinges2.jpg

I've got a few minor changes I want to make for the production hinges, but they'll look basically the same as these. They're done in a crinkle finish black powder coat, as are the rest of the parts of the tailgate reinforcement.

Any updates on this?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Two preproduction samples of the tailgate reinforcement/hinges were displayed by the company at the All Breeds Jeep show in PA a few weeks ago.

Several additional samples of the complete tailgate reinforcement/hinge set were manufactured for people to test. They were received by the testers and installed about a month ago. As a result of this testing, several minor manufacturing/packaging issues were discovered (like wrong washers shipped in the parts packet), and also the company testers have asked for a few minor changes. The "punch list" of items to be addressed was communicated to manufacturing about three weeks ago.

One of the testers has 35" tires (315/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs on stock Moab rims) and he reports that it does a great job supporting that size tire, he's very happy with the strength.

Last week I had a call with manufacturing, and all of the items have been addressed and the changes made. They have manufactured one more test unit incorporating the changes, and they were scheduled to ship that unit to me last Friday so I can verify that everything on the punch list has been addressed in a satisfactory way. Assuming everything checks out, I'll forward that unit on to the company, and they can decide if they want to install it for further testing, or if it's good to go. If the company decides that no other changes are necessary, and they decide to offer it for sale, then pretty much all that's left to be done is to create the installation notes, set the price and decide on a release date.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
BTW I've also been using a set of these hinges on the camper trailer project, without the rest of the tailgate reinforcement. Don't need the reinforcement part on this one because all this tailgate is carrying is the barn door upper.

CamperShow1.jpg

Hinges are working great in this application too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
AEV Highline hood/fenders along using the most significant tires that could go with with that mixture (33s? 35?). Re-gear as appropriate. No suspension lift.

Actually I'm not a fan of highline fenders, but I do have plans for the front end... I'm in the design phase of a new project - I'm going to build a "transition hood" in fiberglass; this hood will match up properly with the shape of the TJ cowl, and properly with the shape of the CJ grille, allowing the installation of a CJ grille and fenders on a TJ and all of the body lines will match up like they were born together.

I am probably also going to build fiberglass "CJ fenders" that are based on original CJ fenders but have TJ inner fenders so all of the TJ engine compartment stuff bolts right up. I'll likely customize the exterior of the fenders as well so they gracefully accept TJ flares.

As I said, I'm in the design phase of this project now, I've got a CJ front clip set up in my workshop for the purpose of making measurements and taking curve profiles:

CJClip-1.jpg

In the next few weeks I'll be setting up a TJ front clip in the workshop as well, so I can design the body line transitions. Once that's done I'll begin the process of sculpting a custom mold master for the hood, and making a mold so I can build hoods in fiberglass.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been lurking on this thread for a while. That is some beautiful design work, and the styling is spot on! I think that full top is a great option for the LJ. The half top is very nice too (what would we expect after the other work?)! And that retro Wrangler pick up... Freaking gorgeous!:Wow1:
Thank you!

tweenerlj

Adventurer
BTW I've also been using a set of these hinges on the camper trailer project, without the rest of the tailgate reinforcement. Don't need the reinforcement part on this one because all this tailgate is carrying is the barn door upper.

CamperShow1.jpg

Hinges are working great in this application too.

Any idea on the weight of your trailer? I rented an trailer over the weekend and my Jeep didn't do too well with it (Click here to see other thread on that)

I am beginning to question how much trailer my Jeep can handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal