I need new boots....

bucketosudz

Explorer
I need a new pair of boots, and I'm looking at a pair of White's Boots.

http://www.whitesboots.com/store/Whites_Boots.php

anybody have an experience with them?

Honored as some of the best boots on the market ask a Wildland Firefighter! I have owned a few pairs myself. They are built hell for stout and will last a very, very long time if properly cared for. And another plus side is they are completely rebuild-able if you get any of the lines over the Explorer. The Explorer line can be re-soled, but CANNOT be re-built. For some the downside can be the high arch, but then again many buy them for that reason. My personal favorite is the Whites Ranch Farmer with a Vibram Kletterlift sole. Lower arch and wider heel.

Check out their website for a place near you and try a pair first before ordering or do their fitment paperwork BEFORE purchasing. I have been to the factory and it is amazing to watch them build the boots.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I had a pair of Vasque Sundowners for over 12 years of heavy use before the soles decided to depart from the upper. I liked them so much they are still sitting in the corner of my closet although they are retired, I just can'g bare to throw them away, I may have them resoled.
Vasque_Sundowner_GTX_hiking_footwear_7142_450x450_L_S.png

I recently got a new pair of Vasques, the Breeze XCR. I decided to try a more vented boot for the desert heat in AZ. They are a lighter hiking oriented boot rather than a backpacking boot. So far they have been very comfortable.
Vasque_Breeze_XCR_hiking_footwear_7466_450x450_L_S.png

If vented is not what you want, take a look at thier backpacking boots they offer several full leather upper boots and they have proven to last.
Vasque_Summit_GTX_hiking_footwear_7134_450x450_L_S.png

Regards,
Brian

Photog

Explorer
These are the boots I have been wearing for the last couple years. They are rebuildable and tough. If they fit your feet, they would be very comfortable.

Boots2.jpg

They are the Arkansas Boot, by Frye.
For more views of the boot, here is a link to their website. Frye.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I wear Georgia Giant "Romeo's" (
31166168-300x300-0-0_Georgia_Boot_Georgia_Boots_Men_s_Briar_Brown_Giant.jpg
) nearly every day and even for some pretty technical trail hiking as well...

But my Backpacking boots are Vasques (2000 GTX's or something VERY simillar to these but an older model or something
vasque_wasatch.jpg
Mine actualy have Cramp-on lips like Koflachs). I have to say that the company (Vasque) is quite awesome. I TRASHED a pair of their boots on a lengthy trip through the bush in Australia that involved alot of climbing, scrambling and in general was just TOUGH... But any way when I got back to the Station (ranch) my boots were done. The gromets had pulled off in a few places, I'd abraded the leather so much in a few places that I'd lost watterproofness to some degree... I had KILLED these boots in the year I was living there (and I wasn't wearing them all that often honestly, I wore Blundstones most of the time to work in...) Anyway I get back to the states and send them in to get some re-furbishing if they could do anything... They send me a new pair of 360.00 boots and asked if they could possibly use my boots in a print ad :D I said yes enthusiasticly (although I don't know if they ever did) and I still have the pair of boots they replaced mine with and they're still running strong. I realize it soulds like they were kind of poorly made boots to go to heel in a handbasket that quickly, but I really was hard on them...

BUT, biggest suggestion I can make is to go to somewhere like REI or something adn TRY THEM ALL ON!!!!! Everyone has different feet and some boots that fit some feet amazingly fit others terribly. It really behooves you to try them all on. I can tell you from experience that Danner, Asolo, Vasque, Kofalchs, Saloman and Merrell make quality boots. Pick a price point and compare them all to see wich one fits your feet the best.

Let us know what you get mate.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
My next boot will be the safety grade Blundstone's

worn-in.jpg
make sure and try'm on and really get a feel for'm, they're funny feeling at first but they're great boots. They have all sorts of different options (Wide, Narrow, hard to find sizes etc) to fit different feet if you order online I belive. I know every tradesman and Cow-cocky in Australia wears either those or Red-backs so they make boots to fit ALOT of feet. I own a pair of Non-safety Blundstones with the Riding sole (made for getting in and out of stirrups and with a stiff sole to hold up to standing in stirrups) and I have red-backs with the hiking soles... They're both SUPER comfy But the Red-Backs are alot more squishy on the feet and do better to standing for long periods of time. But the Blundy Safety's look to have a nice thick sole too eh.. Tell ye waht though ;) . Fly to Oz and buy'm at the local feed store for like 39.99 Aus. It'll be worth the plane ticket seeing as they want 145.00 someplaces around Portland for the things(don't know how much you were looking at paying but they're not cheap here in the states eh. Plus you get to go to Australia and have a bloody great time :wings: I'm tempted to sell my "real cowboy Blundy's" to some of these effite' yuppy folks I see around from time to time, bet I could get a pretty penny for'm since they're all worn in and "tough looking" HAHAHAHAHA.then I'd have to go back to Australia... Aw shucks. This time I'm never coming home ;)

Cheers

Dave

Adventurer
Well I tried the Blundy's on, loved them, they fit larger then regular safety boots but still comfortable, work payed $135, I payed $40. They're black, not the brown.

Blun161.jpg

Thanks work! :wings:

Explorer
I have always had good luck with Carhartt clothing, and found these boots on Cabelas. anybody got any feedback?

I like these.
$149.99 at cabelas.

But these Danners are pretty sweet too...
~James

Those are Garbage, no offense to your tastes but I would only invest in boots made in a country whose people wear them! Italian boots are very nice and they last way longer. Spending $200-400 on quality boots is a great investment you will never regret.

Buying a boot from the orient is like booking a meeting for disappointment with your feet.

Alico is another brand too add to the good list.

landshark23

the asolo 520 gtx boots have treated me well and have lasted me many years. i would highly recommend them to anyone looking to get a new set of boots. Also right know they are on sale at REI for 179.99 which is a good price for them just picked up another park had the first set for 8-9 years.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I just pick up a pair of these. Montrail Torre GTX. So far I love them.
MontrailTorreGTX.jpg

I went for Montrail Torre GTX because I have a pair of Montrail CTC Mid GTX and they have been outstanding!

montr256412_142905_jb.jpg

Louie

datoy

Adventurer
Today, many manufacturers make there boots with lots of bling. I guess it makes them look hi-tech. I HIGHLY recommend that you look for boot with the least about of stitching possible (Exposed stitching tends to get worn and blow out) and the simplest construction. A full rubber rand will also help the boot wear well in heavy use. Good classic hiking boot are built of one piece of leather that is only stitched at the back and maybe at the ankles.

the asolo 520 gtx boots have treated me well and have lasted me many years. i would highly recommend them to anyone looking to get a new set of boots. Also right know they are on sale at REI for 179.99 which is a good price for them just picked up another park had the first set for 8-9 years.

I picked up a second pair at REI last week and sold a couple of pair to other customers while I was there.

Kilroy

Adventurer
Ok, after spending a few hours (literally) on the Russell Moccasin site, and re-reading the overland journal review, I am sold. It is hard to beat the level of exactness that these boots should be built to compared to an off the shelf boot.

If you are one of the lucky guys who can buy pretty much any boot or shoe from a store, and have it fit perfectly, this probably is not neccesary for you. I however have never been able to do that easily. I think its time for a custom made boot, and once I decide on the style and options I want, I am going to make the purchase. Its a fairly involved ordering process with all of the measurements, but I think it will be worth it. I also apparently have to make my Orvis boots last another 5 months (18weeks), as that is the time it will take until I get the custom pair from Russell. I think I can do it.

It will also be nice to not have to throw out these things when they get some wear (aka 'broken in to the point they start to fit right') on them. Just send em back in, and they come back as good as new for a few bucks.

Now, anyone wanna help me build my new boots? LOl....

Seriously, if you need new boots, spend an hour or two reading over the Russell wesbite.

I am probably going to go with their Safari PH, with a few custom options of course...

safari_phlg.gif

You ever get these boots? Happy with them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy