If you were to start all over with a brand new truck, which would you choose?

drewactual

Adventurer
MD54pickupcomfort-InternationalMXTCC.09-560.jpg

p nut

butter
I spent 4 days in the Rockies last year with my 2014 Raptor, a Brand new 2015 PW and 2014 Jeep 4 door Sport, all stock except for the winch added to my Raptor. All were very close to their Max weight when we started the trip. The PW with the new rear suspension and 6.4 was really impressive and a goat when it came to tough climbs and the really rough rocky areas. The payload was also better than my Raptor and the ride acceptable for a 3/4 ton and better than any other truck in the 3/4 ton range. Overall it was a better truck for overlanding in the mountains with a 4 day load in the bed and it could really take a beating with less worry about breaking things up front.

That being said, the Raptor was superior on the forest roads, whoops, or anywhere it wasn't exceptionally rough. The ride and handling is better overall but it's a trade off for the payload capacity. The downside of the raptor was its width on tight trails. but it went everywhere the PW did just not quite as fast in the really rough and tight sections of trail.

The jeep was easier on the tight trails and very nimble allowing better lines, but couldn't keep up with either truck when it opened up or got really rough. It was also the only vehicle to get stuck, but only because of a lack of lockers. The Jeep guys whined about the 900 mile drive each way and said they are riding in one of our trucks and towing the jeep next year, which says something about the jeep comfort and on road behavior.

The 6.4 of the PW wasn't as fast as the 6.2 Raptor, but close, and the gas mileage was close between the two at around 12mpg for the trip. The jeep killed us at about 15 mpg but range was less due to tank size.

This year we are also bringing a 4Runner to add to the comparison, we just need to determine where we are headed.

My $.02 from our past experiences.

Can't wait to see what they do with the new Raptors with ecoboost. Hopefully MPG will go up, along with the power. That would be a fun truck.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
If I ever started over with a brand new expo specific truck it would be a new Silverado 3500 regular cab long bed single rear wheel rig in Work Truck trim then set it up with BDS suspension and Cognito suspension goodies, ARB front bumper and a new custom made truck camper powered by the 6.0L gas engine. Or a RAM Power Wagon or RAM 3500 Tradesman RCLB with their gas 6.4L. Too bad the PW is only available in crew cab short beds and not a RCLB. Either way, a new truck would most definitely be GASOLINE powered. Working for a diesel engine manufacturer and dealing with the modern diesel engine issues on a daily basis, I wouldn't own a one if it was growing on my ear. Gasoline for me and I prefer the cheap work truck trims (Silvy WT or RAM Tradesman) for the more simplistic interiors and manual shift transfercases. I just couldn't imagine having a fully loaded cream of the crap leather clad, electric this, auto that $65K truck to use as a dedicated expo rig.

p nut

butter
If I ever started over with a brand new expo specific truck it would be a new Silverado 3500 regular cab long bed single rear wheel rig in Work Truck trim then set it up with BDS suspension and Cognito suspension goodies, ARB front bumper and a new custom made truck camper powered by the 6.0L gas engine. Or a RAM Power Wagon or RAM 3500 Tradesman RCLB with their gas 6.4L. Too bad the PW is only available in crew cab short beds and not a RCLB. Either way, a new truck would most definitely be GASOLINE powered. Working for a diesel engine manufacturer and dealing with the modern diesel engine issues on a daily basis, I wouldn't own a one if it was growing on my ear. Gasoline for me and I prefer the cheap work truck trims (Silvy WT or RAM Tradesman) for the more simplistic interiors and manual shift transfercases. I just couldn't imagine having a fully loaded cream of the crap leather clad, electric this, auto that $65K truck to use as a dedicated expo rig.

Larry, just curious why you prefer RC? Shorter WB? Aesthetics? Cost?

And 100% agreed on gas vs diesel.

drewactual

Adventurer
that international MTX is discontinued... a dang shame... it was solid...

re: no diesel

they are certainly going through a transition, no? just like the smog pumps on the 70's gassers... they figured that out, they'll figure this out... it'll take time... but I'm with y'all, they're too expensive and too much can go wrong.. as an expedition vehicle engine, they are just kinda dumb... being far from parts and pieces and having a breakage of some sort, and not having the very reasonable expectation of being able to limp it along without risking major damage is just plain stupid... add to this international usage where many if not most of these rigs are exported with different configurations due to fuel and/or lack of emissions standards, which makes expectations of repair parts difficult if not impossible to source.

I would choose the MTX because it's engine lacks many of the emissions that are now standard (medium duty), but retains the added function of modern diesels... Plus, as much as I'd like to say 90% of my travels are off the beaten path, it would be a lie- 99% of my use is on nothing worse than an improved road... a matter of fact, I'm kinda against off-roading, as that isn't conducive to longevity- and truly, most folks don't off-road anyway.. they just drive on varying quality of roads...

Badin

a late 80's early 90's single cab short bed f150 4x4 fuel injected 300 straight six with 4 speed np 435 6.8 to 1 granny, stock 65:1 crawl ratio, 117" wheel base, manual lock out hubs, 195" overall length, buy them all day long for the price of new wheels and tires on a new fluff rig or a used atv. Get one and a used Prius for your daily driver and save yourself 40 grand.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, just curious why you prefer RC? Shorter WB? Aesthetics? Cost?

Well, a little bit of all that but mainly because after several years of doing the long distance off-road travel where we go off into the never lands for 7 to 10 days at a time, I’ve found I’d much rather have more room in the bed (camper) than in the cab and still retain a somewhat short wheelbase (compared to the typical CCSB like the 2010 and later Power Wagons…dumb they don’t offer a RCLB PW anymore). I often wish I would have built up a long bed rather than a short bed as well as started with a newer truck but the K10 has been a 20 year project where newer trucks were too expensive when the K10 project started back in 1996. Since I mainly travel alone or with only 1 additional person extra cab seating is not needed. Regular cabs make sense for my needs…..certainly not for everybody

no1gtkid

I like the New Ram Rebel but seeing as I want payload I would rather go to a Ford F250/F350 or a Ram 2500/3500. This would meet my needs
I only drive truck in bad weather, road trips with Wife, and camping trips. The rest of the time I ride my 2016 Indian Dark Horse.
I want a slide in camper, hence I want the payload. Not concerned on Fuel Economy. Want creature comforts which is why I want the new trucks.
However, money does not dictate cost of a new truck so I will always buy lightly used. Since I have a 2007 a Ram Bighorn loaded with 5.7L Hemi and just purchased a new 122 Leer cap not interested in changing trucks anytime soon. After all I only have 70k on the od.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I had the rebel out yesterday for 3 hrs while my patriot was in the shop. ITS NICE!. But 68,000 cdn....NAH! Its not worth that. I think you could pick up a cheap model, load up aftermarket suspension and goodies, and come out ahead.

p nut

butter
I wish the Rebel had a winch and rear locker (and front?). Baby Powerwagon. That would be a great truck.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah. it would be awesome. there is a trick to give you extra lift on it too. for like 4 bucks. You replace the air system links that adjust height with new longer pieces and it tricks the air system. You gain about 2" of lift on each setting. enough to fit in 35's. That, along with the locker, winch etc would make for a killer rig. I swear I played with the suspension for like 20 mins...ha ha.

Clutch

<---Pass
If I ever started over with a brand new expo specific truck it would be a new Silverado 3500 regular cab long bed single rear wheel rig in Work Truck trim

Larry, just curious why you prefer RC?

I am like Larry, usually travel by myself or with one other person. It is too bad the other manufactures haven't taken after Toyota with their RC's like the Tundra RC. The space behind the seat is huge. I can fit MX gear bags back there. Or is it too bad Toyota doesn't offer a 3/4-1 ton? Though I don't need a 3/4-1 Ton....if AT started making their new Habitat for an 8' bed, that with RCLB half-ton...might be pretty nice setup. Since the half tons are capable of 20 mpg, and keep it somewhat lightweight.

Gas vs Diesel....the fuel cost between 20 and 30 mpg (gas 1/2 ton vs Ram Ecodiesel)...isn't much of savings to make it worth it to me. Especially since the new diesels have very high repair cost. Ram did do the diesel right though, offering it in the work truck package, where-as GM's mid-sizes you have to buy an upper level trim to get it.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Chrysler should kill the ram 1500 and just offer a JK truck. Reg cab and 4 door. 6 foot bed.

Make the Dana 44 front standard, with available rubicon lockers, and the 1500 engine/transmission options. They wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77