I'm back in a Jeep, a JKU

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Looks great. The one Front Runner makes uses the roof bolts to secure it as well. I bought their version and ditched it after about a week. It always rattled and seemed to be more in the way than useful for my needs.

Hi

Do You mean Front Runner interior rack?

VACC021_1693_20140226092057.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you compare road noise to a typical AT tire like Firestone Destination A/T or Cooper Discoverer A/T how much louder are the ST Maxx tires. Use a scale of 1-5 with 5 being a typical mud tire.
THANKS
I don't hear them at all except in too-fast cornering; then it sounds like velcro, not like MTs. I don't hear them over wind noise with the windows open either.
Even the Cooper STT is quieter than a "typical" MT --- they always surprised me vs something like an old Goodyear or BFG.
These ST-Maxxes are quieter than the GY MTRs that I had --- and they were really just an aggressive AT also.

Hi

Do You mean Front Runner interior rack?

VACC021_1693_20140226092057.jpg
That's what I had in mind when I built my deck.

But I had built something very similar 6 years ago too for my old 2-door JK. It was bigger, used heavier wood. I made this one lighter and engineered it better. I've been using it all week with different sized containers and am thinking of adding a cleat or two in the center.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Went looking for snow in the Smokies yesterday and flopped sideways into a mud-hole. Skidplate did its business right and I came right out ---- but this was the new Jeep's first real use of traction control.
The snow was only up high but it was seriously pretty to look at.

004_zps6b4a8353.jpg

Jessi is really digging the new ride; she likes her perch in this better than the old Jeep or PW.
Life is easier when the girls are happy.

037_zps2fa0c9a9.jpg

009_zps29753c17.jpg

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks, Andy.

Gassed up in Townsend before going into Cades Cove ---- drove around slowly, stopped and let it idle, etc. The trip computer read 15 mpg when we left.
Filled up at home; 21.4 mpg.
:)
Just loving the JK.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Cool shots bill - how does the teardrop tow behind the jk? Are you going to install a trans cooler?
It doesn't tow anywhere as easily as the PW but it's much better than the old 2-door JK with the 3.8L auto/4.56.
It has the tow package and a manual. It should be okay.

Wish it had 4.10s though. It sorely could use it...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I bought an offset adapter thingie; the trailer sits higher than the Jeep and the handling wasn't the best.
Much better with this thing. Only weighs 6 pounds.

008_zps50f42a7e.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
bill, does that hitch rattle around? I have been told to use one like that on my pop up overlander project. Looks like it would rattle a lot.

Septu

Explorer
The pintle itself clunks everytime you stop lol.

Bill, how's the new JK handling the trailer overall?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
It would be better if the trailer were a little lighter or I had 4.10 gearing (or both...), but it's getting the job done. Fuel economy takes a dramatic drop in the hilly areas since the 3.6L doesn't have the most generous torque curve.
Offroad it's fine. Once I'm in 4-low, it just hums along.

And yes, a lunette/pintle has a clunk factor. But it's so easy to hitch and use. Works great for us.
I've tried everything else and they all have more compromises so I've stuck with this simple arrangement. I'd prefer to use my Maxx Coupler but it's just such a pain to hitch-up with on uneven surfaces or on a hill (like my driveway); you have to line it up perfectly to couple.

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
we need to do a comparo towing your red tearbeast and my conqueror with both our JK's. Not that I'm looking to get into a teardrop, but just genuinely curious what the difference is. :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal