In Response to the Congo Thread: A Technical Discussion

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
There are those who talk, and those who do.

I know that its not what you meant by that statement, but I know that the most prepared folks never venture far. It takes a propensity to experience risk to get out there. The most knowledgeable mechanics and the most prepared survivalists rarely make it far from home because they are unwilling to accept the fact that thing can and do go wrong and that they will have to improvise.

Therefor, the folks who are the most proficient mechanically to deal with the breakdowns that happen on these trips rarely see them. They are at home, tinkering, because that is what they like to do. Those that are thrilled by adventures are out there doing just that and becoming as much of a jack of all trades as they can manage. Good enough at enough things to be able to make it through unexpected problems.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I know that its not what you meant by that statement, but I know that the most prepared folks never venture far. It takes a propensity to experience risk to get out there. The most knowledgeable mechanics and the most prepared survivalists rarely make it far from home because they are unwilling to accept the fact that thing can and do go wrong and that they will have to improvise.

Therefor, the folks who are the most proficient mechanically to deal with the breakdowns that happen on these trips rarely see them. They are at home, tinkering, because that is what they like to do. Those that are thrilled by adventures are out there doing just that and becoming as much of a jack of all trades as they can manage. Good enough at enough things to be able to make it through unexpected problems.
That's just rubbish! There are many, many examples of folks w/ great skills and well prepared vehicles on this site alone that have posted up great 'adventures' (epic as everyone wants to say) in countries around the world many times! Take Scott Brady, Sven w/ XXXpeditions, many of the sponsors and people like 'Antique Land Cruiser on the road since 2003' , beemerchef (Oasis of my Soul), D. Hackney, and dozens more. All well prepared and skilled.
The line mentioned you quoted is like "those who do do and those who can't teach", just another stupid line. Lots of world skilled, experienced genius's out there teaching! Give me a break.:coffee:
I just noticed you are w/ Overland Rally, so I assume you are one of those skilled well prepared folks too.

Last edited:

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer

OMG, relax everyone. The above statements are generalizations. Of course there are exceptions to the above statements. Exceptions to general statements are minority, contradictory facts. True they are fact but when the context of the original statement is generalization, the exceptions are hardly grounds for definitive dispute. Classic case of this is Land Rover Discovery reliability generalizations. It is generally well established that Discos are less reliable than their Toyota etc. contemporaries however we Disco owners on ExPo are fortunate enough to own nearly every 100% reliable auto Rover ever produced. Where does the truth lie, probably somewhere in the middle? (generally)

That's just rubbish! There are many, many examples of folks w/ great skills and well prepared vehicles on this site alone that have posted up great 'adventures' (epic as everyone wants to say) in countries around the world many times! Take Scott Brady, Sven w/ XXXpeditions, many of the sponsors and people like 'Antique Land Cruiser on the road since 2003' , beemerchef (Oasis of my Soul), D. Hackney, and dozens more. All well prepared and skilled.
The line mentioned you quoted is like "those who do do and those who can't teach", just another stupid line. Lots of world skilled, experienced genius's out there teaching! Give me a break.:coffee:
I just noticed you are w/ Overland Rally, so I assume you are one of those skilled well prepared folks too.

Yea, but every now and then, those that do, give all of us a gift by talking.
Mr. Brady is Santa Claus.

It takes a propensity to experience risk to get out there.
If "adventure" is what the discussion is at the moment, then I may take a moment to quote Merriam on this "a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome."

DRC trip was Bold. Risky and hazardous, and they did not know the outcome.

Semi-skilled, semi-prepared. Leary is just a big goofus that does actually get out there! Albeit "out there" is a relatively safe distance from home and in less than DRC-like adventurous places. We (Leary and I) have another friend who is one that is mechanically capable. He has his ExPo truck that he has been building for 3 years. It looks nothing like the expo trucks here, and will never. It also hasn't been on its true maiden voyage. I cant seem to type this where it doesn't sound degrading or negative, so read it as not.

I am disappointed that this line is from the forum founder.:(
As much as it pains me to say this, its true. There are those who talk and those that do. I'd do a lot more if I had more mulla.... then I'd talk a lot about it when I got home!:)

I'll update this thread as events unfold, sir.

:coffee:

Uhhhhhemmmmmpt.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire

... and every one of the folks mentioned above is a skilled jack of all trades, and none are professional mechanics. When you do this stuff for a while, you get good at it. Fixing rigs on the side of the trail is a product of neccessity. Now personally, I think Scott Brady drives like a maniac :Wow1:, but he has made it through just fine so far, and been to some places that I might be lucky enough to see someday. I remember him saying that he actually looks forward to some breakdowns and curve balls because they make the trips more adveturous. Maybe when I've gone on more trips I will share this sentiment.

I can't claim to belong to that elite list of pillars of the Overlanding community. I'm just a regular guy who dreams of having crazy adventures. I like to meet people and make things happen, and that's why I volunteered to be on the Rally Board, so I could do my small part to support the hobby that I love.

Semi-skilled, semi-prepared. Leary is just a big goofus that does actually get out there! Albeit "out there" is a relatively safe distance from home and in less than DRC-like adventurous places. We (Leary and I) have another friend who is one that is mechanically capable. He has his ExPo truck that he has been building for 3 years. It looks nothing like the expo trucks here, and will never. It also hasn't been on its true maiden voyage. I cant seem to type this where it doesn't sound degrading or negative, so read it as not.

Hey. I resemble that remark!

Bones would be the first person I call if I had a problem while out on a trip and had a serious breakdown. He is a very competant mechanic who also has enough experience in improvisation to get through some tough situations. Case and point, however, he will not take his rig anywhere unless it is in perfect mechanical order. Hence, he has not been on any big trips yet. He likes to tinker. He's good at it. It has served him well. He has also said repeatedly that he has little interest in traveling the world. The U.S. is just fine for him, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are those of us who want more, and a small subset who actually go do it.

The_Mrs. and I have solidified our intent to travel around the world in our Land Cruiser. I hope that our dream bears fruit. Are we experts? Definitely not. Are we determined enough to make the trip happen? I hope so. Are we going to talk about it after we pull it off? You bet.

RU55ELL

Explorer
I would have to agree with Bones about not wanting to travel the world. I still have a lot of the US to see before I worry too much about going elsewhere.

I would have to agree with Bones about not wanting to travel the world. I still have a lot of the US to see before I worry too much about going elsewhere.

Sure. There is a lot to see... But the world is a whole hell of a bigger than our tiny country!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Brady

Founder
I just trimmed a bunch of ******** chat.

My point about talking and not doing is simply that I believe criticism should come from a position of experience. If someone has direct experience in the particular topic, then the criticism is useful, as it provides a different perspective based on relevant situations and learning. Unfortunately, with regards to the Congo thread, I am seeing a lot of criticism that lacks perspective, that lacks context, and in most cases, lacks experience.

Being "prepared" is a relative term, and one that can only be determined by the person actually traveling. Being "prepared" will also vary throughout a travelers lifetime and depending on the risks involved.

The world is not nearly as scary a place as most believe, and the world is certainly better developed and easier to travel in than most expect.

It is all about perspective, and each person has their own. . .

Oh, and do I drive like a maniac? It is all about perspective. . . :smiley_drive:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Oh, and do I drive like a maniac? It is all about perspective. . . :smiley_drive:

I seem to remember thinking that I was going to have a part of a certain red tractor sitting in my lap on our way back to Hollister!

Driving like a maniac... at least your good at it! :sombrero:

vaulter09

If someone has direct experience in the particular topic, then the criticism is useful, as it provides a different perspective based on relevant situations and learning.

I agree. That is why I started this thread. Not to talk good OR bad about those who completed this, but what can we learn as a community through talking amongst ourselves.

So let me start....
Their story confirmed to me that a winch and lockers are invaluable when traveling alone on what is expected to be rough terrain. I am a stout believer that a good reliable locker will allow you to continue the drive even with a broken shaft. A winch for the obvious reason of not needing to go for a hike to get help.

So, that very quickly, is a few little things I walked away with. I ask, what lessons vehicle modifications can YOU the others readers of that thread walk away with. And again, I beg you keep it relevant to your rig and your lessons.

Scott Brady

Founder
I agree to a point. Would their vehicle have performed better with locking differentials - absolutely. Would their recoveries been easier with a winch - absolutely.

However, if I recall from their thread correctly, they had a limited budget. IMO, they made the right choice by spending less on the truck and more on the travel.

If a person's budget comes down to travel vs. truck, IMO, the cash should always defer to the travel.

I have also encountered another issue with 12v, vehicle mounted winches - they FAIL ALL THE TIME. Controllers, solenoids, motors, cables, etc. It is highly likely that it would have worked in the start of their trek, and not be working at the end of it. Most people assume winches are reliable, and will function when they need them. Reality is much different, and if I was doing that trip, I would carry a ton of spares for my winch, and likely start with one that would cost almost as much as their truck. . .

Just something to think about.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
My Dad is broken down in Nairobi right now. The photographer he's with wrote on Friday:

"The most important part of vehicle maintenance is clean windows, so if you are broken down you will enjoy the beauty of the view." - Dan Eldon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater