InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Jb1rd

Explorer
I miss my Sprinter

I have already been toying with the idea of going back to one, but I want to give the Airstream the benefit of the doubt with at least the lift and suspension upgrade before I jump ship. I just loved the way my Sprinter drove, and yeah, 23-5mpg wasn't so bad either. (8-11mpg in the AS OOOOOOUCH)
:sombrero: Me likey!!! That is such a sweet score on the 80/20.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I have already been toying with the idea of going back to one, but I want to give the Airstream the benefit of the doubt with at least the lift and suspension upgrade before I jump ship. I just loved the way my Sprinter drove, and yeah, 23-5mpg wasn't so bad either. (8-11mpg in the AS OOOOOOUCH)
:sombrero: Me likey!!! That is such a sweet score on the 80/20.

I dig the Airstream in concept. Not sure the reality is as cool to ME. I feel like I "get away" with more in my Sprinter than I could in a full camper looking class B.

For example, this morning I've been to the zoo and posting from the park right now. Could do both in the Airstream but I feel like the Sprinter looks less "van down by the river" if you know what I mean?!

Jb1rd

Explorer
I dig the Airstream in concept. Not sure the reality is as cool to ME. I feel like I "get away" with more in my Sprinter than I could in a full camper looking class B.

For example, this morning I've been to the zoo and posting from the park right now. Could do both in the Airstream but I feel like the Sprinter looks less "van down by the river" if you know what I mean?!
Yep, I sure do.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Made a touch more progress on the interior. Even though I'm kinda just milling around figuring out exactly how I want to do stuff.

Here you can see the "gear locker" area being mocked up with my bike. Should hold 2 bikes when when I'm done, or skis, snowboards, etc. You can also see part of the upper cabinets done and a location for the Power tank.

14471315669_9ab0192160_b_d.jpg

I recycled some of the old factory plastic cargo wall and some grey automotive carpet leftover from thE Eurovan project to make some panels. They soled right into the groves on the 80/20. This will make it easy to access the insulation, wiring, change interior bits if I want, etc.

The one panel I made. Looks like this will work out well so I may pickup some more carpet tomorrow.

14471997148_0b2c5c8992_b_d.jpg

The one overhead cabinet mostly done. The bottom is also recycled corrugated plastic from the old interior.

14471992998_f173eb0240_b_d.jpg

rockbender

Adventurer
Envious of your aluminum score. That stuff looks like it works great for adjusting and getting your setup dialed in, not to mention pretty quick gratification!

Cole

Expedition Leader
****!

****!

Ouch!

Crap!

Mother ****er!

.......bang!

DOH!

......I can not even begin to express how painful this stuff has been to my head!!!! You would think that being at fairly smart guy I could remember that I just bolted structural aluminum over my head!!! My brain seems to think its still an empty cargo van!!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Getting closer. More overhead storage framed, more side panels built, installed and insulation installed.

Still not 100% sure how I'm going to so the wheel well boxes and bed support.

Wife already approves!

14665864425_b50e027b68_b_d.jpg

The panels are pretty sweet. First of all they are modular around the window spots. So of I want to add windows later it will be pretty simple. Right now each section is a carpeted panel that slots into the 80/20 and holds in the 4" thick R19 sound proofing. Should help with climate and noise control.

Ignore the spots where I'm temporarily using hinge plates to hold things together.

14663229134_1502e10344_b_d.jpg

One nice thing is that I've been able to repurpose the old corrugated plastic cargo wall. Once cut down and covered in carpet it looks brand new. Which is kinda fun since 95% of this van has been built with recycled parts!!

14661848261_4b9e35a361_b_d.jpg

My waste pile so far!!

14664697342_37c27e46d7_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Interestingly the Sprinter is MUCH nicer to drive now. Not that it was bad before, but the 80/20 framework has added some much needed stiffness to the chassis. My rear doors are much quieter now.

I'm glad I scored so many connectors with the 80/20! Those damn things are expensive!! I've got a ton of little angle connectors but no flats. So today I started hand mankind some flats. What costs about $6 each before shipping I can make for about $0.60 each.

Maybe not as pretty, but these will be mostly hidden anyway. (And I actually cleaned these up much more after a quick picture)

14693006723_a2e2d602df_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Little bits of progress. Another panel made, all the upper rungs are in place. Insulation behind all the panels.

Forgive the glare on my phone, the lens is cracked!

14708043333_68d3e6b343_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've got 95% of my interior framing and about 50% of the paneling/insulating done now.

All the floor level 80/20 was bolted through the floor.

Last night since it was raining I worked on a smaller project that has been eating away at me. Eventually the feel of the van will all boil down to the details. On top of the front seat pedestals are these ugly cardboard/wood crap panels that you can see from anywhere in the van.

So I reupholstered them in the matching grey carpet I've been using for the rest of the wall panels in back. Hard to tell in the pictures, but it made a huge difference for something so small.

14542771849_7976975046_b_d.jpg

14542757010_a7f04fba7d_b_d.jpg

I also picked up 10 yards of this pimp red vinyl that matches the red of the van nearly perfectly! This will go on the center ceiling panels, underside of the cabinets, door panels and maybe a center stripe for a reupholstered bed.

14730951061_71acdde6cd_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Got 6 more panels made today, 5 of them upholstered in carpet. This includes the second wheel well box and the front window sections. Some of those panels got more sound deadening and insulation behind them too. The van is starting to hold the AC better and be quieter down the road.

Also moved a few tid bits around. This is the part of the project where I feel like progress is slow. Work all day and feel like you got minutes of work done.

14574406118_cc1a9da95a_b_d.jpg

14574347010_2193931825_b_d.jpg

Tossed the bed/bench back in to take some measurements and use it during the week.

14761393395_edec82374b_b_d.jpg

My wife has been working on some magnetic curtains for the van. Black on the outside for stealth. With the window up they just look tinted.

14574396539_f6736b9538_b_d.jpg

More color from the inside to make it more homey.

14574412588_2d5f65d58a_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz