Intech Sol Horizon Rover

Dkurko

Anybody here with any experience dragging one of these trailers into the back country? Not interested in rock crawling but would be nice down forest service and BLM roads. Would even be nice to know if it can handle the trip from St George, UT past Mt Trumbull School House onward to the Bar 10 ranch (easy drive) then out to the Whitmore Trailhead on the N Rim of the Grand Canyon. That's as tough of a route as I want to be able to go.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Anybody here with any experience dragging one of these trailers into the back country? Not interested in rock crawling but would be nice down forest service and BLM roads. Would even be nice to know if it can handle the trip from St George, UT past Mt Trumbull School House onward to the Bar 10 ranch (easy drive) then out to the Whitmore Trailhead on the N Rim of the Grand Canyon. That's as tough of a route as I want to be able to go.

Okay I have never been on your route or driven a sol horizon rover. I did a quick back track on Google earth starting at Witmore trailer head. It didn't look like thier was to many tight turns or whoop d does. That trailer is 20 feet long with minimal clearance so departure angle will limit you. What kind of tow vehicle you got? Going slow and if you have time go drive it with out trailer first. I looked hard at those as they are reasonable but just didn't think they would hold up off road.

Dkurko

Okay I have never been on your route or driven a sol horizon rover. I did a quick back track on Google earth starting at Witmore trailer head. It didn't look like thier was to many tight turns or whoop d does. That trailer is 20 feet long with minimal clearance so departure angle will limit you. What kind of tow vehicle you got? Going slow and if you have time go drive it with out trailer first. I looked hard at those as they are reasonable but just didn't think they would hold up off road.
GMC AT4 2500 is TV. Have been down that trail in a Tundra Flatbed with a FWC. Not very technical trail at all. Maybe a 5/10 but threw it out there as an example of the types of trails I am willing to drive with a trailer to get where I want to be. Mainly looking for a solid trailer that isn't going to rattle apart but that also has some creature comforts and a bit of room to stretch out. FWC was a great rig but not big enough for me at this stage in my life and Mrs wants an enclosed bath and comfy place to stretch out at night. This rig seems to check the boxes but just looking for some validation from someone who has pulled one off the highway. Not looking to be tethered to campgrounds.

With the 12 inches of ground clearance and solid torsion axles I think even easy dirt roads will pound the hell out of it. Back when you could get one for 29k maybe worth taking a chance but if they are up to 40k maybe not. I re joined the FB group for sol horizon. I will see if I can find any posts from folks that have been using then off road. I will admit that if you go off road and have the interior comforts of the horizon it will be 60 k or more.

Just noticed sol horizon rover only has 600 pounds of cargo capacity. Fresh water tank takes near half if that. Not ideal for how many folks you can camp with as well as boondocking. What are they thinking?

rehammer81

I just rented one of these from a guy on Outdoorsy. We only pounded pavement with it and took it glamping to a full hookup campsite at Zion National Park. So, no off-road experience with it. I will say that it will definitely hop around on bumps so I don't think you'll be cruising at any sort of speed off-road even on forest service road. The trailer does feel pretty solid though. Nice fit and finish. The cabinets and everything inside feel tight and solid. I wouldn't call it an off-road trailer but it probably falls in-between the real solid off-road trailers and the "cheap" Indiana built trailers.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl