Introducing myself and my van.

dansvan

Observer
Hello all. Dansvan from Alaska. I've been into vans since I was a child. Happens when your parents own one growing up.

We purchased this one from a hotel here in Anchorage. It was used to shuttle passengers to and from the airport. It had long expanded metal steps on each side. It's a Quigley converted 2000 E350 with the V10. D60 front and rear with BW1356 t-case. Came with 4.10 gears and the OD trans.

We immediately did a shackle flip on the rear and installed coil springs from the earlier series vans for a quick lift. After some minor trimming we installed the 37" Interco SSR's. These were installed in anticipation of our trip to Moab. I built a rear swing away tire carrier and sliders for body protection. The two Optimas are mounted on a tray under the vehicle behind the rear axle. I also removed the factory spare tire hanger and assy. and installed an aux. 18 gallon fuel tank from a F150. A new bumper from Off Road Tech was then installed with a Warn m15000 winch. A few extra lights were added to the bumper. I also built a snorkle (cold air intake) for it. 5.13 gears and a Detroit locker in the rear were installed. A very tight Powerloc was installed up front. 35 spline alloy shafts finished out the front and rear axles. Both retain the factory ABS system.

As for the interior it has a rubber mat over the factory carpet. I built a bed in the rear with 4 drawers in the front accessed from inside the van. Underneath the bed is room for all our gear. The front bench seat gets unhooked and turned sideways up against the wall for one daughter to sleep on and a piece of plywood with foam and upholstery gets put across the front seats for my oldest daughter to sleep on. This makes it very comfortable to sleep 4 inside + the dog. Or 5 with one on the floor. I added a Scanguage to keep track of mileage and engine vitals, and added a Garmin GPS. Throw in the LCD screens on the head rests and the kids have something to do on the longer mileage days. We also have a plug in cooler, power inverter, and the neccesary cell phones and CB radio. Oh, and also the porta potty. Never travel with children without one...

So we made our trek from Alaska to South Dakota this way. From there it was on to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and then Moab, Utah, and then back to Alaska.

Here are some pics of the trip and the van when it was on 37"s.

dans4x4-173.jpg

dans4x4-259.jpg

dans4x4-283.jpg

dans4x4-287.jpg

dans4x4-299.jpg

dans4x4-296_edited.jpg

Last edited:

dansvan

Observer
When the 37" SSR's started to wear down I started looking for some 40" tires. I had a set of 44" TSL's but didn't want to put them on the van. At least not at first. But then when I couldn't locate a buyer for the 44"s so I could purchase 40"s, I went ahead and installed them. As if it was easy as all that. I used shackles and brackets from an older model Pathfinder van. Front leaf springs too. Cut all the Quigley brackets off my front d60 and welded new spring perches on. I had to lengthen the front d-shaft as I pushed the axle forward 3 inches or so to accomodate the need to turn. The front bumper got trimmed back and re-welded. The rear got a small block captured by the spring center bolt and a new leaf pack. I then made some fender flares to cover the tires and keep it legal. Lots of cutting in the front to accomodate that steering thing again. Rear mudflaps were added as well. I wasn't going to carry around a 44" spare with me so the rear tire carrier got turned into a jerry can,shovel,hi-lift holder.

Driving impressions. With the V10 and 5.13 gears the 44" tires are quite livable. It is very quiet inside as the tires are making fewer revolutions per mile as compare to a smaller tire. They are a bias tire and do flat spot. After a few minutes they smooth out. Having centramatic auto tire balancers installed helps too. I lost some turning radius as the tires will hit the leaf springs. The ride is slightly firmer and I don't run a sway bar now. But I did lose the annoying sounds and poppings of the underbuilt Quigley 4 link. It gets 9-11mpg fully loaded for a trip. Verified by the Scanguage which has been calibrated via GPS.

Here's some pics of the install.

p5090618.jpg

p5090621.jpg

p5210655.jpg

p5210656.jpg

p7251042.jpg

Last edited:

dansvan

Observer
Anyway, I love getting away from it all in the van. It's not fancy. It doesn't have the high dollar price tag. For most it wouldn't be suited for their needs. But up here, and for my needs, my family and I love it. Keep exploring! Dan

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Jeezus! I saw a van just like yours when I was in Reykjavik Iceland a few years ago. It seems like your rig would be very topsy-turvy....do you run sway bars?

Spence

jeff@work

Adventurer
Hey Dan,

Awesome van and welcome to the Portal! I was actually just searching around for pics of your van on the pirate4x4 boards. Do you know what year van springs you used to get the extra lift when you were still using the Quigley system? Do you know how much lift it provided? I'm tired of hitting my bumpstops after 1" of uptravel!

Thanks!

Jeff

dansvan

Observer
spencyg said:
Jeezus! I saw a van just like yours when I was in Reykjavik Iceland a few years ago. It seems like your rig would be very topsy-turvy....do you run sway bars?

Spence

Not tippy at all. I've tried to keep the COG low. No sway bars. Being 102" wide helps too. Trust me, I've had this in some very precarious positions.

dansvan

Observer
jeff@work said:
Hey Dan,

Awesome van and welcome to the Portal! I was actually just searching around for pics of your van on the pirate4x4 boards. Do you know what year van springs you used to get the extra lift when you were still using the Quigley system? Do you know how much lift it provided? I'm tired of hitting my bumpstops after 1" of uptravel!

Thanks!

Jeff

I used front springs from a 1991 and older Ford E350. Mine were HD units from a diesel model and worked great. The older model E350's had coils about 3" longer than the current models. Not sure on the exact amount of lift. Hope that helps. Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater