J8 Expedition Project:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Hasn't this thing spent most of its very short life in the SW and California? Why all the rust?

There's a little rust but mostly what you see is a lot of caked on Moab and AZ dirt. Looks can be deceiving. Also keep in mind that this vehicle was a Detroit test mule before reaching EW. It's VIN indicates that it was built in 2008 and it is #1 of the series and was most likely subjected to the harshest of conditions while the platform was being proved out.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Its a shame that they didn't make the extra space in the chassis available with a small door from the inside, kinda like a cj2a underseat storage box.

I would have a hard time cutting the floor out.

Its a shame that they wasted so much storage space in the J8 under the rear floor. With the 3-door that I have been drooling after, you have the rear sump that is wasted along with the area under the front section of the floor where the stock rear seats would have gone. They should have mounted the batteries under the front part of the rear floor on the 3-door. That would have been perfect in my opinion, the weight is forward and about as low as you can get it without going through the floor.

elcoyote

The J8 got hard doors today, fresh from the factory.

We also wrapped up some details on the hot water cutoff valves. They are tucked up and way on the lower portion of the firewall. With a heat exchange tank one must not run coolant through the heat exchanger unless there is water to be heated. This is important if winterizing the rig for storage. The cut off valves also allow servicing should it be necessary.

Attachments

• J8 doors.jpg
    J8 doors.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Hot water plumbing.jpg
    Hot water plumbing.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Hot water coolant cutoff.jpg
    Hot water coolant cutoff.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 223

elcoyote

It's been a busy week polishing off final touches on the J8 before she heads to SEMA. If you're going to the show, the J8 will be featured in Mopar Alley. Be sure to stop by.

We upgraded the H4 lights to Trucklite LED's. You can see in the picture the difference of color between the H4 on the left and the LED on the right. The Trucklite also has a very nice flat pattern

We installed a Warn 9.5 XP winch. In order to maintain the mil-spec front bumper and hoist rings, we had to remove the captive fasteners from the warn mounting plate and through bolt.

We completed all of our water plumbing upgrades and had some fun testing out how far the sprayer will shoot. The hot water tank is simply one of the coolest comfort features ever!

We used a Fourtreks bracket to adapt the AT propane holder to the rear roll bar. It anchors the 5 lb Manchester tank quite securely yet is completely accessible for the Partner stove we have installed.

On the electrical side, we tidied up the accessory power system with a Bluesea circuit breaker panel. Each circuit is 15 amps with a resettable breaker. One is for the water pump, one for the accessory outlets, one for the fridge and one is a spare for future goodies. One of the features we liked about this panel is the soft LED backlighting that makes the switches visible in the dark. We also added a main battery cutoff switch for convenience since the battery is now tucked away under the J8. To make jump starting less problematic, we installed an Andersen plug and made up a set of mating jumper cables. They store conveniently in the Gear Safe tire carrier. We also installed a fully wired 7 pin trailer socket. Interesting to note that the J8 actually has amber turn signals so a converter box was required (amber bulbs in the clear part of the housing).

The Off Road Trail Tools recovery strap holder was just the ticket to keep the recovery strap at the ready, just an arms reach away for driver or passenger on the side of the storage system.

We are quite pleased with how very functional kit is all coming together.

...more later...

Attachments

• Hot and cold running water.jpg
    Hot and cold running water.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 257
  • J8 Warn Xd 9500.jpg
    J8 Warn Xd 9500.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 258
  • J8 Trucklite LED upgrade.jpg
    J8 Trucklite LED upgrade.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 252
  • J8 AT Propane Mount.jpg
    J8 AT Propane Mount.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 248
  • J8 Circuit Breaker Panel.jpg
    J8 Circuit Breaker Panel.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 284
  • J8 Andersen & 7 pin.jpg
    J8 Andersen & 7 pin.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 236
  • ORTT Recovery Strap Mount.jpg
    ORTT Recovery Strap Mount.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 294

jingram

Adventurer
Looking awesome guys... can't wait to see pics of the J8 and JK Habitat fully kitted out at Sema!

I notice bare glass in some of those pics. Are the insides of the habitat going to be unfinished glass or are you going to spray a thin layer of gelcoat for a finished look? Clearly unfinished will keep weight down, but curious nonetheless.

elcoyote

Looking awesome guys... can't wait to see pics of the J8 and JK Habitat fully kitted out at Sema!

I notice bare glass in some of those pics. Are the insides of the habitat going to be unfinished glass or are you going to spray a thin layer of gelcoat for a finished look? Clearly unfinished will keep weight down, but curious nonetheless.

The interior will be sprayed. It's returning from paint today.

Scott Brady

Founder
It is ALIVE!!!
73751_10150112856458275_640113274_7725426_349812_n.jpg

Final SEMA prep continues into tomorrow.

Rexsname

Explorer
The one flipped out in the dark is the one I was thinking of. I was there power washing the undercarriage in preperation for the show. I had grandchild duty a bit later that evening so I had to leave before everything was done.

I still think this is one of the best ideas, and the best executed I've ever seen or been a part of. (a tiny tiny part)

REX

kb7our

Explorer
Great pics. Anything yet showing the inside entrance and looking back standing inside? How about a video?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Great pics. Anything yet showing the inside entrance and looking back standing inside? How about a video?

Photo shoot and video shoot set for tomorrow.

Should have pictures and video up during the week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__