J8 Expedition Project:

XXXpedition

Explorer
VM 4-Cyl 2.8L Turbo-diesel. It is magic- trust me, and was tuned by Mopar to 400 ft. lbs.
that torque pumped up - how do the turbo hoses do?
are they original?

the stock hoses are crap and chrysler knows it. mine busted with about 30k miles. i know at least 5 whoes hoses broke - as low as 10k miles without added power...
but chrysler seems to have no plans on fixing this weakness.

just wondering, as i have the same engine with raised torque and HP
thanks!
sven

Last edited:

Saratoga

Adventurer
Elcoyote, thanks for posting those photos of the work you've done to J8. The storage solutions look excellent and area a brilliant way to do it. I'd like to do that sort of thing for the LR Discovery when I get it (in the future) but I'm in the UK and you're not :(

Anyway, you've done a real professional job there and it looks excellent! ;)

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
btw. awesome job, mario (and gabe)!!! ;-)
(

Thanks.

Any new updates or pics of the JK Habitat?

In the coming week.

Elcoyote, thanks for posting those photos of the work you've done to J8. The storage solutions look excellent and area a brilliant way to do it. I'd like to do that sort of thing for the LR Discovery when I get it (in the future) but I'm in the UK and you're not :(

Anyway, you've done a real professional job there and it looks excellent! ;)

You're welcome. We've started to work with Mud UK so there may be some hope for the future ;)

elcoyote

Any idea on what mileage the J8 is getting out in the real world yet? Thanks.

My recent trips with the J8 with the ECU tuned for 400 ft/lbs has yeilded 19.4 MPG on the highway @ 65 MPH & 2000 RPM. With the standard ECU tuning for 295 ft/lbs, I believe 24-25 MPG could be reasonably expected. I will note that removal of the roof rack resulted in avg increase from 17.5 to 19.4 and a drop of 10 db in the cab. Another argument against roof racks IMO.

XXXpedition

Explorer
since it's not so far off:
my crd with 360 ft/lbs (also increased to stock) gets around 20mpg in town and on freeways.
at 70 mph constant speed it's still 20mpg - above 80 it increases drastically....
at around 60 it does get better,
below 60 doesn't do much good, because i have to shift in 5th gear...

that is with a stickshift 6spd, a 4" lift, 35" tires and stock 4.10 gears inkl. addl' weight of bumpers, winch, skidplates, roofrack with lights (also more drag) wider fenders and tires than stock...

mario, does the j8 run stock turbo hoses?

thanks
sven

elcoyote

Today we added a few very cool accessories from Off Road Trail Tools.

The J8 is absent of grab handles and ORTT has just the perfect solution. A set of four covers very door.

Flat space to work to work on, whether for a parts repair or mixing a high-ball, is always at a premium. The fold down tray table is just the ticket. Well made and extremely convenient.

Attachments

• ORTT Grab handle.jpg
    ORTT Grab handle.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 191
  • ORTT Table closed.jpg
    ORTT Table closed.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 226
  • ORTT Table open.jpg
    ORTT Table open.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 304

elcoyote

Battery compartment

The J8 we have is a prototype that has a flat floor placed over the top of the normal rear JK storage compartment. Since we have rendered the storage compartment inaccessible with the drawer and fridge anyhow, we opted to cut out the compartment to give us more room to place the monster 245AH AGM 4D battery. We created a hinged battery tray to house the 158 lb battery. It drops down and has a pair of limit straps to hold it in a service position. This modification has lowered our CG a tad and taken advantage of an otherwise unused space. The battery will serve both starting and auxiliary load requirements.

Attachments

• Battery Tray build.jpg
    Battery Tray build.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Battery-Storage area removed.jpg
    Battery-Storage area removed.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Battery-Storage area cut off.jpg
    Battery-Storage area cut off.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Battery Tray open.jpg
    Battery Tray open.jpg