Jah310 Trailer Build. Here goes...!

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
A few from the long weekend up in Kings Canyon...

I happened upon this thread while searching for info on Kings Canyon and am glad I did. Superbly done; well designed, well planned, well executed, and well documented. Followup posts showing your family enjoying the fruits of your labor is icing on the cake. Kudos to you.

jah310

Adventurer
Very kind - thanks man.

Still not complete. Eventually I need to take it apart and get the whole thing powder coated, however we're moving the SF Bay Area which puts a number of other things ahead in the priority line. Once we get settled in there, I'll take it apart and get it powder coated. Anybody know a good powder coat shop in the East Bay or Bay Area in general? Thanks -

jah310

Adventurer
Took our trailer on our moving trip to SF. Stopped in Big Sur...

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Had to drop the trailer off on Treasure Island in a container until we find a new home... Thought it was a cool storage set up!

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
Just found this one from our Anza trip...can't wait to get this thing out again.

P1140589 - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:

zmad

Just read through your entire build thread in one sitting. Fantastic job, definitely an inspiration for many who are starting builds. I really like how the side paneling looks. Great trailer and awesome pictures of it in use!

jah310

Adventurer
Thanks Zmad...

I just pulled this go pro video from one of our trips. Gives an idea of how the suspension works and trailer handles. What do you guys think?

[video=youtube_share;sC6G10LZPmw]http://youtu.be/sC6G10LZPmw [/video]

rustED

Adventurer
Just read through your build, awesome job! I'll probably have some questions on electrical when I get to that point, lol.

jah310

Adventurer
Weight - Fully loaded

Managed to get the trailer on a scale today (at the local recyling center I jumped on when no one was paying attention). The total weight of the trailer fully loaded with 20g water, arb fridge with beers, camping gear, bbq, ezup, stove, chairs, solar panel, battery, RTT, etc etc was 2310 pounds. Could be better, could be worse.

I had a spreadsheet which kept track of all the build materials / items and it had the trailer weight unloaded and dry at about 1429 pounds and 2108 pounds fully loaded. Reality has the total about 10% higher, but not too bad. Would have loved to see it weigh less, but I'm happy with the result given its my first build...

IMG_2978.jpg
[/GMAP]

IMG_2977.jpg

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
So this weekend was the beginning of the build down. I've officially started to take the trailer apart in anticipation of final welds, adjustments and powder coating. Don't hold your breath as it probably going to be a slow process given the limited time at hand. Nonetheless I started by removing the RTT and solar panel slide. As I tear it down I'll post my progress.

8ab8e086c07a685f342da15b4f0e5aa4.jpg

9b863cef99616578c19df01c30211428.jpg

2010 Double Cab Tacoma

Tiger Overland

Observer
Awesome build! Thanks for sharing. I plan to use many of your designs on my future build.

I'm just discovering expedition trailers (I know, what rock did I crawl out from under), and have been impressed by the many designs that I have found. I hope you don't mind me asking what kind of ballpark figure do you think I would spend replicating your trailer (just the trailer, not accessories ie water system, electrical, rtt, etc)? I've got fair fabrication skills and some time on my hands for the next few months. I've seen some good condition m419 trailers for $2k-$3k...I'm just trying to figure out which way to go. Can I build a similar trailer to yours for half the cost of a m419, or am I going to spend a comparable amount? Thanks in advance.

jah310

Adventurer
Derek 41 - I think you could make yourself the exact trailer you want for about the $3k you mention above... If you're up for it and enjoy this kind of stuff I'd say go for it. This was my first ever fabrication / welding project and it turned out way better than I thought and was more "doable" than I imagined. Regarding cost, raw steel is really not that expensive - how carried away you get with the wheels tires, suspension and axle is what makes or breaks your budget. If you keep it it fairly simple, you'll save on cost, if you get carried away you might not see the efficiencies. Either way, if you build you'll probably get exactly what you want which i loved...Just my two cents. Hope that helps and good luck. Reach out with any questions - I'll do my best to help if can.

jah310

Adventurer
Got some work done today. Decided that before I tear everything done, I'm going to build a new lid. Conceptually it will be exactly the same, but I'm using lighter gauge material (.083) and an aluminum sheet to top it off. The old lid with nothing on it weighed 145 pounds - too heavy! Not sure what the new one will weigh, but my calculations come up with about a 60 pound or ~40% savings. Here are some pictures...

c431a2625695ad37f9a59791131ac2b0.jpg

Old lid coming off. Keeping it around incase my new one doesn't turn out that good!

5e166f51b0eaff4fc11b13767311ddb4.jpg

No lid!

65434dec7496a84ebad3fa41d582126e.jpg

Used the same 1.5 x 1.5 tube, but in .083 guage in lieu of .120. the center sections are also just angle iron, not full square tubes.

502d7b115be35320ff0e7d9a8cb5913d.jpg

Here it is with the aluminum sheet top. I managed to make this one much more square than the last...I will tap a bunch of threaded holes and bolt the sheet down as I can't weld metal to aluminum. (Upon final assembly both these pieces will be painted and I'll probably put some silicone sealant between to pieces to ensure it's weather tight.

7e8e7fc500f3d388b4e45692fca22e70.jpg

Here's one of the stainless steel bolts holding it down. It's turning out great.

It was awesome to get the welder going again. Had the 220v put in a few weeks back...New garage is finally in use. Trailer is finally getting some time.

More tomorrow....

2010 Double Cab Tacoma

Last edited:

JeepinJensen

Happy to say this is my first post, and I just read through your entire thread. Amazing work for your first fabrication project! Hope that I can produce some quality results like that for my first build.

I do have a few questions.

- What welder are you using for this project? (flux core/gasless?)
- What type/size of metal did you use for the frame?
- What did you base the box dimensions off of? The WMS-WMS of the axle (which I am guessing matches the Tacomas) or was there another factor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven