Jah310 Trailer Build. Here goes...!

jah310

Adventurer
Got it - thanks for clarifying...!

1) I think you could probably get away with not having that cross piece but I feel it may compromise strength. I've read about builds where people find that the rear vertical corner uprights start to slowly bend outward. To prevent that from happening you could triangulate those uprights towards the taillight. I've seen many builds like that and imagine they are super strong.

2) Regarding the lid, I think you'd have absolutely no problem having the hinges on the front. I liked the idea of opening from the side so that we could access the lid even if the tent was deployed. It's a personal preference though.

Hope that helps!

BO1LRUP

Awesome!

1. For those back corners, I originally planned on angled pieces but may now consider 2x2 square just to ensure they're solid. I'll look at triangulating a piece too.

2. My lid will only have a yakima rack system so front mounted lid sounds like a winner.

Thanks!

jah310

Adventurer
Finished up my solar slide. Pretty straight forward. When in tow, I'll have the slide and panel secured under the RTT, and when at camp I'll just pull it out. The side is pretty sturdy, could easily hold a few beers and won't move around in the wind. Wish I had about a 1/2 inch more room under the Thule cross bars, but oh well. (I'm getting just a slight contact at the lid and bottom of slide).

I know some prefer to have their panels detached so they can place them in the sun. I didn't want to deal with storing the panel in the trailer or truck. Instead I wanted the easiest set up possible. Now when we arrive at camp, it's literally just a matter of pulling out the slide. It's permanently wired up to the Sunsaver control module so nothing to plug in. We're going up to the Sequoia national park next weekend we'll see how well it keeps the battery topped off.

veda3esy.jpg

2udyrymy.jpg

a5agu4yj.jpg

gune7uju.jpg

egy4erej.jpg

Last edited:

jays0n

Adventurer
Slide came out great, glad the 80/20 people helped you out with the parts list. Was I right about how fun that stuff is to work with? I ended up using it for my awning mounts as well, it's set up to slide up and down to adjust the height as needed, kinda a vertical version of what I came up with for the solar panel :)

jah310

Adventurer
Slide came out great, glad the 80/20 people helped you out with the parts list. Was I right about how fun that stuff is to work with? I ended up using it for my awning mounts as well, it's set up to slide up and down to adjust the height as needed, kinda a vertical version of what I came up with for the solar panel :)

Thanks and thanks for giving me the idea. I was really struggling to figure out a good way to make the slide, but after seeing what you did I knew I had to do the same. You're right, it's awesome stuff to work with. Plus the aluminum is so nice and shinny compared to the raw unfinished metal I've been used to.

Did you use the 15 series extrusions as well?

Last edited:

jays0n

Adventurer
Yeah, I used the heavy wall version, probably didn't need to but was worried the lighter stuff would bend over the distance I'm spanning. It ended up costing more than the panel did for me but it's the way I envisioned it and honestly I don't know how else I could have made it happen. Now 80/20 is the first place I look when trying to solve a problem mechanically, I'm gonna go broke :)

jah310

Adventurer
Yes without a doubt the 80/20 stuff is cool, but it's not cheap! I actually ordered the 10 series stuff first, but it was too flimsy once extended all the way out. I was surprised how much beefier the 15 series stuff was - guess it makes sense being 50% bigger. Cool that you used it for your awning set up too... You gonna post any pics on your build page or did I miss them ? : /

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
P.S. the solar panel was awesome - kept my battery pretty much charged for the full 4 days...

And it doesn't look like it's in full sun. Awesome! From my early morning blurry vision that sure looks like a Sam Adams on the edge of the panel..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven