Jeep Africa, Will it Come to be?

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Yeah, the JK soft top is such a design fail that I too decided to never use it again. It would be nice hower if there would be an option for the soft front portion like the new bestop front panel.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

How is the soft top a design fail? I think it's brilliant. There's a reason no other auto manufacturer builds a convertible, four door SUV. The top isn't hard to operate and is highly functional. If that's a fail, well then I can't wait to see a success.

da10A

Adventurer
How is the soft top a design fail? I think it's brilliant. There's a reason no other auto manufacturer builds a convertible, four door SUV. The top isn't hard to operate and is highly functional. If that's a fail, well then I can't wait to see a success.
It's a fail in the way it completely blocks the rear view and once all the way down, rests as high as the top of the spare which is ridiculous. I have tried different ways to fold it down, but it still blocked the rear view.

The tj system was not as smooth to operate as the jk, but at least it folded down completely out of sight.

The best way is to have a hoist and remove the hard top when you want to go topless. Not practical, but hey at least you can see out back. I've seen guys fold it down so bad, that it was acting as a parachute back there. So it is a serious fail in my book.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
It's a fail in the way it completely blocks the rear view and once all the way down, rests as high as the top of the spare which is ridiculous. I have tried different ways to fold it down, but it still blocked the rear view.

The tj system was not as smooth to operate as the jk, but at least it folded down completely out of sight.

The best way is to have a hoist and remove the hard top when you want to go topless. Not practical, but hey at least you can see out back. I've seen guys fold it down so bad, that it was acting as a parachute back there. So it is a serious fail in my book.

That's never been an issue for me.

da10A

Adventurer
On the africa production model, it would be brilliant to have a raised rear roof portion "à la Defender 110", and have the possibility to remove the rear side and back windows and be able to store them on shelves that would be located in that raised portion. For those not wanting to remove the windows, they could remove the shelves and have more headroom for overlanding....

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I think the most important feature the next gen Wrangler needs, be it an Africa or not, is increased GVWR. That's the biggest limiting factor to making it the best Overlanding vehicle available today.

gfiero

Adventurer
Those following this post, there is now a thread for the Jeep Pick up to be produced as a 2017 model, take a look. As long is NOT the green thing I will hold out hope that they will put the Africa concept on the same chassis as a way to get more value from the R&D, and production cost. But I also keep believing that I will wake and be 25 again....

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The top can be folded and stored very low for it's size.

Premium soft top on JKU folded down and stored in a Smiittybilt boot. Mopar offers an even better version, that comes with a window bag.

Attachments

• Cargo-net-screened.jpg
    Cargo-net-screened.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 36

da10A

Adventurer
Yeah well. If you take the whole rear window off you might be able to do that, but I was just rolling it up as I use to do on my TJ... But I will never find out cause I 've had it with that top. I 'll enjoy the removeable front panels instead.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeah well. If you take the whole rear window off you might be able to do that, but I was just rolling it up as I use to do on my TJ... But I will never find out cause I 've had it with that top. I 'll enjoy the removeable front panels instead.

Yeah, the JK top was designed to remove the rear window. Lowered according to the instructions, it works great.
Thanks for explaining your issue. Now I understand why you had so much trouble.
Good idea to keep the hardtop. :beer:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Simply making it through a trail and making it through without body damage, carnage, winching, swearing, anxiety, etc. are COMPLETELY different things. Just because you can ride a motorcycle through a blizzard doesn't mean it's the same experience as going through with a Subaru on snow tires, so your argument is not logical. I've owned roughly the same number of Jeeps as Toyotas, and I like them equally for different reasons. You are entitled to whatever opinion you want, but the FJ or just about any other vehicle which costs less than $50k new is not as good off road stock as a Rubicon. There is so much objective reporting on the topic from magazines, op eds, user reviews, etc. it's really not even a defensible position. I haven't seen anyone in this thread be a Jeep fan boy whatsoever, but it's clear you have bias towards the Toyota and that is completely fine.

As for the Africa, I would be one of those people who would love to have one, and I think with a pop top similar what Ursa Minor does would be the ultimate overlanding vehicle. My only concern would be the price considering a loaded JKUR is already in the upper $40k range, but I am sure anything Jeep puts out for sale will be a hit with a lot of people. It seems Jeep has been moving in the right direction with the Wrangler since it offered the Rubicon in 2002, and I have no doubt they will continue to come up with cool stuff (albeit more slowly than we would like) in the future. The fact you can buy ready to go Dana 60s at your local dealership along with high top fender, lifts and beadlocks is mind blowing considering how back in the 90s if you put a sticker on your Jeep they would decline warranty coverage for "modification" it seemed.

Best post in this thread. I agree 100 percent. If we don't get the Africa, there will be parts of it available in future models, or via MOPAR.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Since a wrangler pickup is practically a certainty. I was thinking you could put a truck cap on the Wrangler pickup and have almost the same form and function of the Africa concept.

Septu

Explorer
I thought the Jeep Africa was really ugly personally and non-functional. Big time poser vehicle too. Let's put it this way, if they DO announce an Africa package, then every one would have it. Your next door neighbor would have it, a ************-mobile with jerry cans sitting on the front fender that NEVER get used. I bet half the people wouldn't even know what they were "Oh, those hold fuel??? I thought they were for drinking water. I've been letting the dog drink out of them! DOY!". The Africa concept would only be cool if you did it yourself as a one-off and had uniqueness to it, or if it was a limited edition ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

I could care less if "everyone" would have it. Would that bother me? No not in the least. Because I would have it for my own personal reasons - which would have nothing to do with anyone else. I've built my jeep the way I like it, and would do the same if I had one of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman