Jeep Africa, Will it Come to be?

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Hey I was building a 4R the other day and I did not see the options for a straight front axle and a locking front diff....am I missing something?

I totally get that, but do most overlanders need a solid front axle?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I totally get that, but do most overlanders need a solid front axle?

Those would be the people that don't need a Wrangler. There are some really awesome SUVs out there for people who don't need that capability.
In which case, they can get a much better driving vehicle. For the rest of us, who need those capabilities, There is nothing that works as well. :beer:

Quoting Allpar, is like quoting Geraldo Rivera

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Those would be the people that don't need a Wrangler. There are some really awesome SUVs out there for people who don't need that capability.
In which case, they can get a much better driving vehicle. For the rest of us, who need those capabilities, There is nothing that works as well. :beer:

Quoting Allpar, is like quoting Geraldo Rivera
There is not a place in the world where a sfa will go and an ifs won't. There is ifs running the hammers now.

AZJim

Observer
Which production ifs can articulate as well as a production live axle? Race vehicle suspensions are not legal on the streets.

Jim

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Which production ifs can articulate as well as a production live axle? Race vehicle suspensions are not legal on the streets.

Jim

Nice straw man. Did I say it could? Go back and read what I said how about. :). I said there is no place a sfa will go off-road that an ifs won't go.

adam88

Explorer
I thought the Jeep Africa was really ugly personally and non-functional. Big time poser vehicle too. Let's put it this way, if they DO announce an Africa package, then every one would have it. Your next door neighbor would have it, a ************-mobile with jerry cans sitting on the front fender that NEVER get used. I bet half the people wouldn't even know what they were "Oh, those hold fuel??? I thought they were for drinking water. I've been letting the dog drink out of them! DOY!". The Africa concept would only be cool if you did it yourself as a one-off and had uniqueness to it, or if it was a limited edition ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

AZJim

Observer
Nice straw man. Did I say it could? Go back and read what I said how about. :). I said there is no place a sfa will go off-road that an ifs won't go.

A live axle will keep both tires in contact with the ground more often that ifs, increasing traction. Sometimes that makes a difference whether or not you can continue on. An ifs can be designed to mimic the articulation of a live axle and have advantages as well, but none have been put into production. Very complex and costly. As for the other comment it was due to your mentioning the hammers.

Jim

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
A live axle will keep both tires in contact with the ground more often that ifs, increasing traction. Sometimes that makes a difference whether or not you can continue on. An ifs can be designed to mimic the articulation of a live axle and have advantages as well, but none have been put into production. Very complex and costly. As for the other comment it was due to your mentioning the hammers.

Jim

I understand the concept. But once again, show me a place where a solid axle truck will go an ifs won't go. Ifs isnt really that complex. There are numerous trucks that use independent suspension, humvee, pinzgauer, mtvr, hemtt. It has proven to be reliable. Sfa is simple and cheap to lift. But that really is its only plus. My mentioning the hammers is, that is the probably the roughest, not toughest, off road race, and independent suspension is becoming more common. Baja and Dakar is almost dominated by ifs. There are plenty of ifs trucks that are street legal that have tons of flex also.

AZJim

Observer
I understand the concept. But once again, show me a place where a solid axle truck will go an ifs won't go. Ifs isnt really that complex. There are numerous trucks that use independent suspension, humvee, pinzgauer, mtvr, hemtt. It has proven to be reliable. Sfa is simple and cheap to lift. But that really is its only plus. My mentioning the hammers is, that is the probably the roughest, not toughest, off road race, and independent suspension is becoming more common. Baja and Dakar is almost dominated by ifs. There are plenty of ifs trucks that are street legal that have tons of flex also.

I don't think you could just name a place but there are situations where that could occur, but you might not know because you would have to run an controlled test and of course the road surface would change. Personally I would prefer the better traction. I think most of the vehicles you mention were designed for military and run portal axles. And in the case of the Humvee quite wide to get articulation. Just different preferences I guess.

Jim

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

This isn't a thread about SFA or IFS, better to argue that point in an IFS/SFA thread.
This is about the Africa Concept, and the possibility for it to become more than just concept.
From what we are lead to believe, the next version of the Wrangler will continue to be body on frame solid axle.
Now to see if they come out with something that closely resembles the Africa concept.

AZJim

Observer
Quite right. My apologies for adding to taking this thread off course
On the correct course, I think people like me are looking for a solid body with live axles. The added roof height and longer body make for a large cargo area.
No inside information, just my opinion as to why I think there's a chance.
The timing of the concept, just as plans for the new Wrangler are being developed. As has been stated in the press, the new Wrangler will move to North Toledo plant with higher capacity. Also the old plant will be redone, hopefully to build new models of the Wrangler like the pickup and maybe a solid body version.
Last year at the Detroit Auto show, Sergio said the next Wrangler would retain the live axles.
We still have a couple of years to go to find out.

Jim

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
This isn't a thread about SFA or IFS, better to argue that point in an IFS/SFA thread.
This is about the Africa Concept, and the possibility for it to become more than just concept.
From what we are lead to believe, the next version of the Wrangler will continue to be body on frame solid axle.
Now to see if they come out with something that closely resembles the Africa concept.

Wasn't me that started it ;). But heaven forbid you call out your own.

I would love to see the Africa make it into production. I disagree with Adam88 that everyone would have one. It is still going to draw the same crowd as the current 4 door JK plus a few people that would otherwise lean towards a 4R or other off-road SUV, like ME! I would buy the Africa in a heartbeat. Keep in mind production vehicles based on concepts are never exactly like the concept. So the guy lines and jerry holders would most likely NOT be part of the actual package, but the 2 IMO most important aspects are, Diesel and extended trunk, would be part of this model. Those are the selling features for me that would make me buy this over any other off-roading SUV type vehicle. The removable top and barn door are interesting and would definitely create a love/hate relationship for some. Would a removable top be nice? Yes, but having a roof rack on my current rig, I would like to keep having roof rack on my future rigs too. So I could definitely live without a soft top. Barn door, spare tire?! Well most likely a tire carrying bumper would find its way onto mine, so that would be a draw back of the current design. But bottom line is, I WOULD LOVE THIS TO BE PRODUCED AND BUY A JEEP if it was made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman