JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

Yeah, we're going with the cry once theme and going to drop the $ on one in the future. It's just a question of which fridge, which dual battery setup, and which to buy first. They basically are all interdependent at this point. How do I know where to start? It's basically the cost of two fridge slides but only takes half the floor space.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I know exactly where you are all coming from. I have a family budget to live within too, but at the same time I'm a firm believer in high quality durable goods.

I agonize over purchases and tend toward buying a few high quality products, rather than a plethora of items of will eventually end up in my junk pile. My biggest fear is to have a critical item fail in the field as a direct result of me trying to save a few dollars.

keithro

Adventurer
What are the stove dimensions? 12x18? 12x16? Are the stoves in stock?

Does the stove just sit in the tray? The extra room in the tray makes up the small pocket next to the stove I presume....

Martyn

What are the stove dimensions? 12x18? 12x16? Are the stoves in stock?

Does the stove just sit in the tray? The extra room in the tray makes up the small pocket next to the stove I presume....

We are using an 18" stove with the controls on the end.

The additional space in the lower section can be used to store small items.

Attachments

• JK1sl.jpg
    JK1sl.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 105
  • jkrear2.jpg
    jkrear2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 90

kb7our

Explorer
We are using an 18" stove with the controls on the end.

The additional space in the lower section can be used to store small items.

If and when it becomes possible, I would love to see an above perspective looking down at the small JK trunk area with both fridge and right storage drawer open in order to see how much of the small trunk is accessible for storage. I have an expanded trunk area and am trying to decide what to do with it. If I can still get to it with the fridge and right storage drawer in place then that might be good enough to go with the same rear setup as the J8 shown.

Martyn

If and when it becomes possible, I would love to see an above perspective looking down at the small JK trunk area with both fridge and right storage drawer open in order to see how much of the small trunk is accessible for storage. I have an expanded trunk area and am trying to decide what to do with it. If I can still get to it with the fridge and right storage drawer in place then that might be good enough to go with the same rear setup as the J8 shown.

A difficult place to get a picture of. I think I show the area in one of the videos.

RR1

Explorer
Interesting, so it is pretty much a big RTT.

I was hoping the whole back area would be open for standing and living.

I was hoping for the same thing. I guess that makes the decision for my new vehicle purchase easier, Jeep is out. Back to looking at pickups....

Now if the guys a AT (or FlipPac) would put one of these rear doors on. Hint Hint....

FordTopperFullDoor-lg.jpg

Martyn

I was hoping for the same thing. I guess that makes the decision for my new vehicle purchase easier, Jeep is out. Back to looking at pickups....

Now if the guys a AT (or FlipPac) would put one of these rear doors on. Hint Hint....

FordTopperFullDoor-lg.jpg

The JK has an internal roll cage that makes full access to the Habitat, i.e the same area available in a pickup with an AT FlipPac, impossible for us to do as manufacturers. What you do to the Habitat and your JK is a different matter. We leave the vehicle stock and just replace the hard top.

As soon as you add a rear door to the FlipPac it becomes vehicle specific. As soon as it become vehicle specific the price goes up. As the market for this product is small the price goes way up.

RR1

Explorer
The JK has an internal roll cage that makes full access to the Habitat, i.e the same area available in a pickup with an AT FlipPac, impossible for us to do as manufacturers. What you do to the Habitat and your JK is a different matter. We leave the vehicle stock and just replace the hard top.

I was looking on your website, the entry doesn't look that big compared to an Earthroamer JK. My buddy has an older Flip Pac on his truck, I like it because if the weather is bad there is plenty of room to change clothes, cook, hang out whatever. Just getting in and out of a conventional tail gate setup is a bit of a pain, those doors like I pictured off that ARE are fricken nice. Have one on my current topper.
I do understand the higher cost of building vehicle specific doors.

I can't find any pictures of yours to compare it side by side, only the video on your site. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/vehicles/jk_habitat/video/

I was hoping for a "poorman's" Earthroamer, but, no worries I can get what I want from a pickup truck.

EarthRoamer_XV-JP_Interior.jpg

Last edited:

bmwrider75

Great looking conversion!!

I have another question about the sleeping arrangements. Your website says the mattress is 4ft x 7ft, yet you say it can sleep up to 4 up top?

What am I missing? That seems only fit for 2.

But I'd love to find a nice, solid, 4x4 capable vehicle like this that allows me to sleep my wife and I and our two kids, with the dog downstairs somewhere. Currently I have an FWC Hawk on my F150 but I am finding it a bit heavy for a 1/2 ton, and like the single-compartment camper-van-like setup of this rig.

Thanks!

Dan

Harp

Adventurer
I have investigated the door option. Have you ever crawled through the A.R.E door? For me being 5' 9" it was a small fit. I like having a tailgate area to sit and put stuff. Having one big gull wing door on the back would be all right it would act as a small canopy but you do lose the tailgate room. I have a pull down screen for bug control while leaving the back open. a handle on the inside of the flippac window helps to close it from the inside. If your putting in a door see the post from Bella about his full size door. Alot of retro fitting. Flippac did have a barn door option years ago but Martyn is right about the cost thing. Would maybe be feasable for one small, regular and one full size specific vehicle but with a nitch market that to would be expensive.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Martyn,
You said in an earlier post that the tent for the Habitat will be more like a RTT, having window awnings and similar heavy waterproof fabric. Will this tent configuration and material make it's way into the standard AT Flip-pacs?

-

Scott Brady

Founder
Being the only person on the planet who has owned both an XVJP and an AT Habitat , I can provide some perspective on entry and interior space and a few initial thoughts.

The Habitat is clearly designed to augment a stock vehicle, and as such, the price is 5% of an EarthRoamer conversion (which can only be purchased one way). No doubt the XVJP is easier to enter, although my JP had a terrible rear bumper that had to be swung-out first before opening the rear door. An AEV bumper would solve that.

The EarthRoamer also feels more like a camper- because it is. The Habitat is more simple and robust, and still allows five passengers. The EarthRoamer has many integrated systems and reflects Bill's uncanny ability of making something small seem big inside. I lived in my XVJP for three months straight and never felt the design to be laking (considering the platform). The EarthRoamer JP is a unique and extremely niche (and expensive) product. I was owner #6.

With the Habitat up, the space inside is massive. It is so big, you could put a table and two chairs in the space above the driver passenger and have a tea party. You can also sleep 4-6 comfortably in the Habitat, and the Habitat can be configured to sleep 1-2 with the top closed. That is one of my expectations of a pop-top- you must be able to sleep in the vehicle with it closed-up (weather, security, etc.)

There are a few things I really like about the Habitat design.
1. Simple, Strong and Light
2. A la carte approach, from just the top to a full camper design (which can be done by the owner or AT)
3. Vehicle can be returned to stock and a new Jeep can be purchased. Have a 2007 and plan to upgrade to a 2012 for the new V6? No problem.
4. No change to the vehicle warranty and limited change to its ride/drive/functionality.
5. Incredible bargain IMO. $6,000 for a top, which is less than the factory top option, a rack and RTT - amazing.

kb7our

Explorer
Being the only person on the planet who has owned both an XVJP and an AT Habitat , I can provide some perspective on entry and interior space and a few initial thoughts.

The Habitat is clearly designed to augment a stock vehicle, and as such, the price is 5% of an EarthRoamer conversion (which can only be purchased one way). No doubt the XVJP is easier to enter, although my JP had a terrible rear bumper that had to be swung-out first before opening the rear door. An AEV bumper would solve that.

The EarthRoamer also feels more like a camper- because it is. The Habitat is more simple and robust, and still allows five passengers. The EarthRoamer has many integrated systems and reflects Bill's uncanny ability of making something small seem big inside. I lived in my XVJP for three months straight and never felt the design to be laking (considering the platform). The EarthRoamer JP is a unique and extremely niche (and expensive) product. I was owner #6.

With the Habitat up, the space inside is massive. It is so big, you could put a table and two chairs in the space above the driver passenger and have a tea party. You can also sleep 4-6 comfortably in the Habitat, and the Habitat can be configured to sleep 1-2 with the top closed. That is one of my expectations of a pop-top- you must be able to sleep in the vehicle with it closed-up (weather, security, etc.)

There are a few things I really like about the Habitat design.
1. Simple, Strong and Light
2. A la carte approach, from just the top to a full camper design (which can be done by the owner or AT)
3. Vehicle can be returned to stock and a new Jeep can be purchased. Have a 2007 and plan to upgrade to a 2012 for the new V6? No problem.
4. No change to the vehicle warranty and limited change to its ride/drive/functionality.
5. Incredible bargain IMO. $6,000 for a top, which is less than the factory top option, a rack and RTT - amazing.

Thanks for the brief and helpful comparison/observations from a very practical standpoint. Do you think the AEV bowl snorkel will interfere with the open Habitat? I have one mounted on my JK and would like to keep it. How about the ram air version?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater