Knife thread

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
Here is my latest knife, and final project for 2015. Thanks for looking, comments welcome. I wish you all a very blessed and happy New Year!

1075 differentially hardened
6 1/4" blade
11 1/4" OAL
Hamon
Madrone Burl handle
Burgandy Micarta spacer
Copper guard

Attachments

• PC280103.JPG
    PC280103.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 31
  • PC280105.JPG
    PC280105.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 27
  • PC280106.JPG
    PC280106.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 32
  • PC280082.JPG
    PC280082.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 31
Wow, y'all make some great looking knives!

I am still not on your level but finally made one I was comfortable enough to sell.

3/16 O1 tool steel
Heat treated by me to 60-61 RC hardness
Black G10 liner and maple handles with loveless bolts

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451402071.388677.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451402085.321157.jpg

* I also need to learn how to take better photos of the knives before they leave.

Last edited:

texascrane

Adventurer
This thread inspired me to take a picture of some of my knives. I very quickly realized I owned way more knives than I thought. This doesn't even account for all the little case trappers and whatnot that I've got sitting in drawers and boxes.

The Benchmades from top to bottom:
Volli Auto 1000001: I normally don't care for autos and have sold the ones that I've received as gifts in the past, however this one came from my brother for being his best man. It has my initials etched on the blade (blurred out) and is a first production run knife.

Osborne Rift 950: Nice looking knife that I received as a gift.

Triage 915: This has become my EDC knife. Very grippy G10 handles, N680 steel, belt/cord cutter/gut hook, and carbide window breaker, axis lock. What's not to like?

2 Griptillians: I have no idea how I ended up with 2 identical griptilians. They're great knives and what I used to carry prior to the Triage. The only thing I don't care for on them are the plastic handles. I think the griptilian is hard to beat for a good all around knife at a reasonable price.

20160118-DSCF0793-Edit_zpsbai8cizt.jpg

From Top to Bottom:

Emerson M-wave: I've had this sitting in my safe for years. It was part of a special release from Emerson in conjunction with Hilton Yam/MD Tactical. I believe there are 300 of these knives that were made in total and 34 with this color/blade combination. I love the knife (although I'm not a huge fan of liner locks). When you flick it open, it has the best feeling lock up and makes the best sound of any knife I've ever heard. The G10 handles are perfect and the overall size/shape/blade design are on the money. The problem is that I honestly don't care for the wave feature so I never actually carry it. I may be interested in selling it if anybody is in the market.

Spyerco Military: Big knife. I like the handles and the blade (although I'm more partial to plain edges these days) but I don't care for the liner lock and I just can't really seem to get into Spydercos for some reason.

Spyderco Salt: The H1 steel is awesome in salty, wet environments. I specifically bought this to tuck inside a pocket while diving in case I ever need to cut free of something.

Spyderco Endura: Nice knife but I prefer the lock and blade design of the griptilians.

NNxnKJDl.jpg

Multitools from top to bottom:

Leatherman: I didn't even know I owned this until I went through my desk looking for knives. I'm not sure exactly what model it is, but I must have owned it for a long time. The blade was still razor sharp.

Leatherman Skeletool: I picked this up originally as an EDC knife. I think they're really great little tools. Everything you need and nothing you don't, all in a size that will clip inside a pocket.

Leatherman Skeltool CX: I liked the Skeletool but wanted a plain edge and I think this was the only model that had one.

Victorinox Swisstool: Rock solid, heavy duty multi-tool.

s710x70l.jpg

Last edited:

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
Here is one fresh off the finishing bench. As I explore different handle materials and combinations these little EDC knives really are beginning to come alive.

Natural/OD Green Canvas Micarta EDC

Hand Forged and fully hardened 1084 3/16" steel
Acid etched blade
7 1/2" OAL with a generous 3 1/4" cutting edge
Full Flat Grind
Canvas Micarta
Lanyard with custom Micarta bead
Coyote Brown G-10 liners
Nickle Silver pins
5 oz.

Attachments

• P1210027.JPG
    P1210027.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1200042.JPG
    P1200042.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1200024.JPG
    P1200024.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 27
Here is one fresh off the finishing bench. As I explore different handle materials and combinations these little EDC knives really are beginning to come alive.

Natural/OD Green Canvas Micarta EDC

Hand Forged and fully hardened 1084 3/16" steel
Acid etched blade
7 1/2" OAL with a generous 3 1/4" cutting edge
Full Flat Grind
Canvas Micarta
Lanyard with custom Micarta bead
Coyote Brown G-10 liners
Nickle Silver pins
5 oz.

Wow, that looks great! My favorite one yet!

I really like the green and tan micarta mix.

Do you have a picture showing the spine with the liners?

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
Thanks for the kind words RTF. Here are the pics you requested.

Attachments

• P1220030.JPG
    P1220030.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 24
  • P1210023.JPG
    P1210023.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 24
  • P1220025.JPG
    P1220025.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 25

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
That whole knife looks clean and the colors go together very well. It's getting saved to my "knife inspiration" photo gallery.

Thank You! I have some really cool stuff coming up over the next few weeks including new designs, handle materials and color/texture combinations. I am beginning to get my feet under me as a knifemaker and am looking very much forward to this years workload.

Here is another recent project. Enjoy :)

Attachments

• P1190032.JPG
    P1190032.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 60

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thank You! I have some really cool stuff coming up over the next few weeks including new designs, handle materials and color/texture combinations. I am beginning to get my feet under me as a knifemaker and am looking very much forward to this years workload.

Here is another recent project. Enjoy :)

Love this handle color blended with the blade!! Great work

dozrmn

DSCN0463.jpg
This knife was a wedding gift from a fine southern gentleman, it is among my most prized possessions .I have carried this knife all over North America and Zimbabwe It was retired after harvesting the elephant tail used to make the bracelet in the picture. I only bring it out for special occasions.

Last edited:

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
This neat little EDC is my latest creation, featuring a hand forged, fully hardened 3/16" 1084 high carbon steel blade dress in a colorful combination of canvas micarta and stabilized Koa wood, with accent liners made of Dark Earth G-10.

Attachments

• P1250005.JPG
    P1250005.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk