LA(and AZ and SD too) ExPo Death Valley Trip

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Well, it was quite an adventure for Tiff and I, as well as several others, as I am sure you will hear.

All went well from Thursday night, save for a doggie yakking in the back of the WJ, until about 2:00PM on Friday. At that point, my WJ decided to go from 210* to over 260* in a little less than 200 feet. This was due, as we later found out, to a stuck thermostat. We stopped at the cabin in Butte Valley to let the Jeep cool down, and I damn near lost my face, possibly my life.

As I said, I popped the hood, and saw the coolant boiling in the reservoir. I leaned over the engine to take a look at the fan to make sure it was running. When I leaned over the engine, my wife Tiffany said something to me from the cab, which I couldn’t hear due to the engine noise. I stepped to the side and stuck my head in the window to ask what she had said, and at that moment, the passenger side radiator tank decided to frag itself, sending pieces flying up to 20' away, and sending a LOT of hot coolant into the space my head had just moments earlier occupied. 1Leg was to the right in his vehicle, and ViaTierra to the left, and they can attest to the magnificent explosion (consequently heard by the rest of the group over 1/2 a mile away).

So, the WJ was dead, and the long and the short of it was that we left it there, packed stuff into other vehicles, and made it to the campground. After a good night rest, Green Ganesha, Cowboy Roscoe, Gear and 1Leg, along with me, made our way back to the WJ, 20 miles up on the trail. My wife stayed back at Furnace Creek to call friends and figure out a way to get the WJ to LA.

Let me take a moment here to thank a few people. In this day and age, the generosity and kindness shown to us was unbelievable. All of you are welcome in my house, anywhere, anytime, any reason. I will drop what I am doing to help you, no matter what.

Wesel123 and your wife- Thank you for taking care of Tiff, and for the ride home.

GG, CR, Gear, and 1Leg- Thank you for taking time out of your trip to mount the rescue effort. I hope the secondary rescue is afoot by this time and all is successful.

Now, after the rescue group made it back to the Jeep, our plan was simple. Coast on the downhills, tow on the uphills and difficult sections. I felt like a Baja racer as 1Leg scouted the trail for vehicles and conditions about 3 miles ahead, Gear was the pre-runner about 1 mile ahead, and Gear's brother was my co-pilot and radio man.

Let me tell you, it is quite and adrenaline rush to bomb down the trail at speeds of up to 45mph with no engine power, no power brakes, and no power steering. "Controlled descent" takes on a whole new meaning, and according to 1Leg, it is ************ when a WJ gets air through a trail intersection.

We made it to the road, and my wife and Wesel123 had successfully found a tow truck driver to PU the Jeep and take it to Long Beach. While monetarily, the trip sucked, the new friendships and experiences were more than worth it, but a few lessons learned.

1. Taking spares is a good idea, but how do you carry a spare *PLASTIC* radiator tank?

2. BUY AAA PREMIER MEMBERSHIP!! $1300 for a tow is way more than the yearly service.

3. Sat phones rock!

4. Afternoon tea in the middle of Death Valley is a surreal experience.

5. MSR Dragonflys are worth it.

6. Get a friggin HAM radio and license.

Hopefully the rest of the folks will chime in with their more positive experiences, but we had a fun, albeit difficult time.

Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts to EVERYONE that help us.

DeathValley2008053.jpg

DeathValley2008055.jpg

jg45

Wow, what an experience. I don't envy the situation you were in, but it sounds like a great group to be with when something like that happens. I guess all the pressure from the heat and the stuck stat was more than the plastic tank could take. Are you going back with another OEM style or looking into an aftermarket with aluminum tanks?

wesel123

Explorer
Well I think I’ll be the first to say that no matter the small problems that occurred the entire trip was AMAZING. Many thanks to GG for the organization and to Roscoe for taking the lead. My wife and I meet a lot of cool folks and got to see an amazing place that we’ve never seen before.

Gavin and Tiffany are great people and have an awesome attitude even though this experience was very stress full. Heck I was stressed for them!!!!!!! My wife and I sure did make some new friends!!!

Not sure of this is kosher but I’m posting a ton of pics so here it goes!!!

DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

wesel123

Explorer
Justin and Rob I'm totally jealous of your set ups!!!!!

And all you Land Rover Drivers are awsome to watch....nice and crazy lines...just how I like it!!!!!!

A few more.......

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0512.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Gavin, glad you are ok, just remeber those things make for great stories around the next campfire! :beer:

Ian, great pictures! I'm sooooo bummed I didn't go with you all:(

1leg

Explorer
Glad to hear you all made it home OK. Take care.

Just letting everyone know i got home 10:30 Sunday nite. Rob the Brit and I turned around at the race track and came home. I will let Trevor tell the story. It worth the wait trust me. I had a great weekend, met great people and learned alot. I would like to send a big THANK YOU Justin and Miles. They baby sat me all weekend. Looking forward to to more trips.

PS. IF you don't have a 2meter radio. get one!!! They were used all day long all weekend long and were vital to the operation. we were consistently reaching out 15-20 plus miles.

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear about the shrapnel, glad your face is ok!! Nice picts, I can't wait to move back to San Diego, so I can join you guys.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
What a story! What a great group of people too, everyone helping one another out, really cool. :costumed-smiley-007

Robthebrit

Explorer
1leg said:
Glad to hear you all made it home OK. Take care.

Just letting everyone know i got home 10:30 Sunday nite. Rob the Brit and I turned around at the race track and came home. I will let Trevor tell the story. It worth the wait trust me. I had a great weekend, met great people and learned alot. I would like to send a big THANK YOU Justin and Miles. They baby sat me all weekend. Looking forward to to more trips.

PS. IF you don't have a 2meter radio. get one!!! They were used all day long all weekend long and were vital to the operation. we were consistently reaching out 15-20 plus miles.

I left with 1leg and got home about 10:00, no problems. The mog was slow as normal but did great even with some tight spots over a washed out Mengal pass. It had a slow time going home over Towne pass but it made it to the top without problem. 1leg was awesome and waited for me at the top, that was above and beyond what he had to do. I averaged 13.3 mpg for the whole trip including the freeway there and back.

I had a few none serious issues, I dinged the exhaust on Mengal and now the tail piece is working itself free. Before the trip I installed a new camper water pump and because of that I had to fix a minor issue, the new water pump is higher pressure and was causing a hose clamp to slowly leak. I didn't run Titus on Saturday and took the time to explore and take photos while slowly making my way to the next camp, once there I grabbed some spaces and fixed my plumbing.

I haven't took the pictures off the camera yet but I'll hopefully get to it tonight.

All it all a great trip with great people.

Rob

viatierra

Explorer
Yeah! I pulled into the driveway just after midnight. We had an outstanding trip with an equally great EP group...
Thanks Trevor again for pulling this together!

2214241260_310cfc2815_b.jpg

2214226020_33f40679ca_b.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
8 PM Monday night... made it home unscathed save for my Hi-Lift handle :)

We enjoyed ourselves immensely and met lots of cool new people, what a great journey! It was really neat how the group pulled together to deal with carnage and still complete 99% of the planned itinerary!

100_3010.jpg

100_3136.jpg

100_3092.jpg

100_3015.jpg

100_3003.jpg

100_2996.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design