Lack of 70 series Land Cruisers.

evilfij

Explorer
Having owned a RHD 110, I really don't like RHD driving in traffic. The sight lines are off, especially for merging on the highway (not like they are fast to begin with) and IMHO it is less safe as a result. I much rather pay a premium and get LHD.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Having owned a RHD 110, I really don't like RHD driving in traffic. The sight lines are off, especially for merging on the highway (not like they are fast to begin with) and IMHO it is less safe as a result. I much rather pay a premium and get LHD.

Was it an ex-MOD 110 with no rear windows? Because those things are dangerous regardless of which side the driver is on.

I agree that LHD is better in North America, but only for reasons of convenience. I've never felt that I had poor visibility and I've never had a close call in the two and a half years I've had my 80-series.

evilfij

Explorer
Was it an ex-MOD 110 with no rear windows? Because those things are dangerous regardless of which side the driver is on.

I agree that LHD is better in North America, but only for reasons of convenience. I've never felt that I had poor visibility and I've never had a close call in the two and a half years I've had my 80-series.

No, it was a full five door station wagon. 1984. You can lose a car under the window with the sight line to your left rear on a right hand drive vehicle. I can only assume it would be worse on a troopy with the high windows in the back. I am not saying it is an insurmountable issue by any stretch -- driving RHD in a LHD country -- just that I think it is less safe and will pay significantly more for LHD.

grimbo

Explorer
Took me about 15 minutes to get used to driving a RHD.

It's a non-issue. I find that the people who are most against it are those who have never experienced it.

Until you use a drive thru or have to use a boom gate at a parking lot.

zimm

Expedition Leader
in a RHD car, pulling out from a parallel parking spot is more dangerous not just for you, but for the poor sap you couldnt see. there really is a reason the drivers seat is where it is on RHD and LHD cars, and as said, its the vantage point in seeing moving traffic. i recall doing a quick park on the wrong side of the road, and coming back later to box truck on either side of me. making sure i didnt pull out and get someone was a pita. now, i always tale the time to face the right way. i can be lazy or stupid and kill me, but i dont want to kill someone else. that would be a situation faced constantly in a rhd truck. instances like that, and others, arnt in the drivers scope of control either.

RHD is for the postman, or people desperate to look cool with a car they cant get here. like having 4 beers and driving, its a risk thats minute and you think you can mitigate with caution, but its absolutely unnecessary, and its manslaughter if something unforeseen happens.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Overtaking other cars with a RHD car in a LHD country is dangerous unless you have a passenger to spot for you. Been there, done that. But since we're talking about 70 series that are coming to this side of the pond, that point is probably moot.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Meh. I've pulled out of a parallel parking space for almost every working day of the last two and a half years in my RHD and I've driven for hours on two-lane highways.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it.

Scott Brady

Founder
Passing is the only thing I have found dangerous, and I typically have a passenger I trust. Otherwise, I have more miles in RHDs than LHDs over the past few years. I don't even notice anymore. I love driving our RHD Land Cruiser. So little power that passing is never a consideration ;)

evilfij

Explorer
How hard is it to convert a RHD 70 series to LHD?

With all the mine trucks without titles, I would assume the parts can be had.

On a defender it is pretty darn easy, but the dash parts will set you back 3k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk