Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

reece146

Automotive Artist
You sound like youre trying to talk yourself into the Jeep. Just sayin

That was exactly my take as well.

Go test drive a 2003-2006 100 series. Sometimes all it takes is a new perspective on the same thing to realize what you have.

Btw, you know that crappiness you noticed on the inside of the Jeep? It goes all through the vehicle.

3rd Cruiser

I'm making the jump. My 98 100 series is for sale in the classified section and my 2013 unlimited Rubicon is on its way from the factory. I understand how tough the decision is. Hey Klaus, I may even let you drive it at our next "expo approved" outing.:sombrero:

What helped me with the decision, was a number of wheeling trips in my nephews 07 unlimited rubicon. 6" lift and running 37" tires. We ran the Rubicon last summer. Rode nice on the way up there and really showed me what a jeep is capable of.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I'm making the jump. My 98 100 series is for sale in the classified section and my 2013 unlimited Rubicon is on its way from the factory. I understand how tough the decision is. Hey Klaus, I may even let you drive it at our next "expo approved" outing.:sombrero:

What helped me with the decision, was a number of wheeling trips in my nephews 07 unlimited rubicon. 6" lift and running 37" tires. We ran the Rubicon last summer. Rode nice on the way up there and really showed me what a jeep is capable of.

Thanks 3rd Cruiser. Congrats on the sale btw. For the record, I've had a flame red JKU rubicon in my saved TrueCar cars for months. Not just copying you!

muchosdiaz

I will put in my $0.02.
I own a 2011 JKU Rubicon which I purchased when my 1994 FZJ 80 finally became too old to depend on. I have had a great time in the JK, but it is not the best built vehicle. At 5000 miles my front axle seals went out and in the process ruined the brakes. Warranty rebuilt the front end. AT exactly 1 year the factory battery died and when being replaced at the dealer under warranty some chip behind the dash fried. Everything covered under warranty and since I had purchased the life time warranty as an option( I knew the jeep would not be as reliable as the landcruiser and I tend to keep my vehicles a long time) I got a free rental car. I now have 32000 miles and no problems except tires out of round despite being rotated every 3500 miles which I expected as they are mud tires and that is what mud tires do. One other thing is oil consumption. I have to watch and make sure I put in oil every 1200 miles as it does use oil which is not uncommon with the 3.8 and is something I can live with(3.6 is supposedly better, but head gaskets seem to be an issue).

The positives are that this thing can cruise comfortably all day on the highway and when I get to Colorado I can run Mosquito pass and similar passes without issue in stock form. Disconnect that sway bar with the little button and it is like a cadillac on rocky roads. Interior space is not as good as the old TLC, but with creative packing you can get a surprising amount of stuff in and we have taken several 5000 mile roadtrips with a family of 4 comfortably(kids are now 13 and 16 with no open warfare in the back due to cramped conditions)

As compared to the landcruiser, something that has not been brought up is that if something does break, the Jeep will cost a lot less to fix. Price out the Birfields on a LC 80 compared to similar parts in the JK.

I loved the 80, but it was getting old. I now love the JK because it is just plain fun in the woods and even on the road and the truth is most of us are stuck on the road 90 percent of the time anyway. Get yourself a hoist in the garage and the top is off in 15 minutes(but the hoist!!!!)

Have fun

Timgco

Adventurer
Now that the OP has driven a base model JK, he needs to go for a ride in a AEV lifted rig. This is my 3rd JK. 2010 with a Terra 2.5" lift and 35's, 2012 with an AEV 3.5" suspension, and a 13 with 4.5" AEV susp. The JK really does handle better IMHO with the AEV kit on it vs stock. My 2012, I ran their 3.5 w/ 35 BFG AT's. nice ride, did well long distance, and had a GOBI rack for additional cargo room. With the stock 410 gearing it did great on and off road. This 2013, I am running the 4.5" lift w/ 37's. MPG's are very close between the two JK's. AT altitude on my daily stop/ go drive to work and back I am getting 14.7 avg. I get roughly 16 corrected on the hwy under 65mph. I have stock 410 gears too. I honestly don't feel I need to re-gear either. If I do, 488's fit that bill.

The OP also mentioned air bags to support extra weight. Another mod that I don't feel is needed with the AEV lift. It does support the weight of full camping gear, fire wood, etc very well. With Mountain Bikes up top on the GOBI, camping gear, recovery gear/ tools, 2 people, 75lb lab, and firewood on a hitch haul out back, it sat pretty even still. More importantly, the AEV suspension handled that weight on the twisty mountain roads. I can't say that for the stock suspension or the 2010 I had.

Here's what I personally would consider for your build:
AEV 3.5" SC lift
exhaust spacers
AEV bumpers F/R
WARN VR10S winch
Roof Rack
35's on 17x9" wheels w/ 4.5" backspace

With that setup, I think you're good for most trails. If you are going to run the harder trails, you'll need:
EVO Protec skids
front LCA weld on skids
rear weld on shock skids
C Gussets up front (sleeves if you really want to protect that front 44)
Diff Covers/ lube lockers

You've got about $7K in mods if you do your own labor. Another $2K if you're going to pay a shop to do gears. Another $1500 for a GOBI rack if you need a roof rack.

All things to take into consideration on your purchase with intent to build it. I would most surely buy a 2012 or 2013 with 410 gears. Between the base model and Rubicon, there is a bit of a difference in acceleration.

hope that helps some.

BTW- I would keep your current rig too. I have wheeled with both 90's and 100's with 33's to 37's on them. They do very well. I don't feel one is better than the other. They are two different rigs and handle on/ off road in different ways, but both get the job done. That 100 has a bit more interior room for sure!!!!

SamM

Adventurer
I never noticed any crappiness in my new 2013 JK MOAB. I still like my Jeeps with 2 doors. It's much better than the 1997 TJ that it replaced. The heated leather seats have me somewhat spoiled. The interior has a much higher quality than the old TJ. It doesn't have that cheap plastic feel to it that the TJ had.

I've always loved Land Cruisers. Sadly, Toyota priced them out of reach for me many years ago. And I'm thankful for that! Land Cruisers can become an addition. I'm just happy that I was able to beat that addiction in 2006.

You'll love the Jeep!

SamM

Judoka

Learning To Live
If you put the same 2.5 inches into a lift I assure you, that Rubicon will take you places Toyotas deam about.:smiley_drive: At least that is what my Rubi tells me

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I just rented a '14 JKU for a family trip from Miami to Key West and back. This was the second JKU I have rented; the other one was in Hawaii in '07. For one, the interior between the two is night and day different. The '14 was pretty nice in my opinion, but I agree with the others, there was a liberal use of plastic.

I wanted to dislike it from the beginning mainly because I am generally a LC guy, but do appreciate other makes. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The '14 had 18's with I think 265's on it and the auto tranny. I averaged about 16mpg according to the computer.

I also have two infants in car seats. We purposely packed light because I knew space would be at a premium compared to our Land Cruiser. That ended up being two large suitcases and a military sea bag, and a backpack and diaper bag. Thinking about it now, I don't think my double B.O.B jogging stroller would fit easily in the back and if it did you wouldn't be able to get anything else back there in my opinion.

I too long for an FJ40, but with a growing family, including 2 dogs, I know that is a pipe dream right now. A JKUR is a good substitute. However, unlike Klaus, I am not parting with the 100 series. A JKUR would be in addition to the LC. That makes it easier for me to justify.

So what did you choose? Did you get a jeep?

Yeah we never did hear back. I too am interested to see what he chose. I my self was in a similar situation about a year ago and I decided to go with a 10 year old Mercedes G500 instead of a new Rubicon. The price was very similar between the two. I don't know if it was the right or wrong decision and I am not sure if it really matters. What does matter is, I am able to get out and go camping with my wife and kids most weekends. That's what it all about.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I still have the 100. I too lust after G-wagens. But if I think the maintenance on a 14 year old Toyota is expensive....

Just got back from a 9 day 2000 mile trip to and from Cruise Moab including Devils Race Track in San Rafael Swell, Torroweap, and the Whiterim Trail. The 100 did great. Only got stuck once while trying to tow another 100 out of Devils racetrack. Banged up all the bumpers and sliders pretty good in Moab.

I averaged 17mpg on the highway to and from. And that's fully loaded pushing 6500lbs with front and rear bumpers, 8 gallons of water, 5 gallons of gas, etc. The 100 did great on the 200 miles of 60+mph dirt roads out to Torroweap. Probably better than I'd expect a JK to do.

It tackled Hells Revenge and Poison Spider with minimal problems (Lost the top nut of a shock on PS but probably my fault because I got grease on the threads when I was lubing the bushings a few weeks ago). The rear locker really saved the day a few times.

The 100 is coming up on the 180k service now. The power steering stopped working on and off on the trip. After seeing 2 other 100's blow their front diffs in front of me. I definitely need to lock the front. Which brings you back to the "is it worth $3000 to lock and regear an old truck?" I put a new steering rack and upper control arms in it a few months back. But still have front end problems. As it stands, the 100 is still costing more per month than the payment on a JKUR would.

I dropped off my wife's car at the dealer for some recalls today and managed to stumble into the neighboring Jeep lot... still pretty tempting.

Anyone want to let me borrow theirs for awhile. Get it out of my system.

mph

Expedition Leader
I have owned both...Will never buy a Jeep. A great trail rig but not comfy at all on getting to the trail. After all, there is a lot of highways to cover before one gets to the backcountry, trail, etc. Not sure of your budget, but have you thought of a 200 series cruiser. Power, comfort...Not sure what you are using it for...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal