Lexus GX470 Expedition build

DNGRZN

I have had great luck with my uv5r plus. It is not quite as user friendly or as feature rich as some Kenwood and yaesu options, and that leaves me feeling the little radios are minorly limited. That said, you can buy them for less than some FRS radios and do tons more. They can (illegally) talk into FRS/gmrs frequencies and commercial bands. Handy in an emergency which is the only time that would be legal. Used as a handheld to repeat to a base station in a vehicle is an awesome use. Also nice in high loss risk environments. If you lose it, so what. I do recommend a different antenna the one that comes with it is not nearly getting the radio to potential.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

StVeronus

Marten,

Great thread! Signed up just to keep up to date with what your doing to your GX470.

Congrats to you and your family! That said, looking forward to the trailer buildup and wanted to see what hitch coupling you plan on using. From the masters in off road trailers, here is a list of the most common from down under...Couplings

Last edited:

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Good choice on the mobile and the handheld. Will you later be adding the APRS option to the mobile?

I've got a Yaesu ft-60 and 2 of those baofengs as loaner/backups.

Still contemplating b/t the Kenwood d710 and the Yaesu FT400. Crazy stuff!

boo471

Adventurer
Im going to spend some time on the driveway this weekend and look over the car on what needs to be done in the near future. I also spent some time yesterday sketching on some design changes for the front bumper to give it some flavor. Any thoughts? My only problem will be to be able to open the hood if going down this route. Which is kind of a big one...

I'll keep you posted on upcoming fabrication plans.

de8ybu3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Oooooooh ************! If that could be made where opening the hood is no problem you'd be set! Your front bumper write-up is what got me making my own bumpers. The rear is nearly done so I'm excited to follow some tips from your write-up and start my front. Yours always look so cool!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
with materials what would you say you have a cost in (not time) of your front bumper? I'm debating fabricating my own front bumper over the course of many weekends. i can't imagine you have more than 250$ in steel in yours (if you bought it at a steel yard)

boo471

Adventurer

boo471

Adventurer
Oooooooh ************! If that could be made where opening the hood is no problem you'd be set! Your front bumper write-up is what got me making my own bumpers. The rear is nearly done so I'm excited to follow some tips from your write-up and start my front. Yours always look so cool!

Im glad to here that my write up was of help! Nice build you have there!

I think I need to chop of the front of the hood to get this done. Might be worth doing. We will see. First I need to focus on the rear bumper and swing out. And rear storage. I'll have a look at your swing out to see if I can get some ideas :)

//Marten

boo471

Adventurer
Wow, great thread! Well done.

Thanks glad you like it!

Marten,

Great thread! Signed up just to keep up to date with what your doing to your GX470.

Congrats to you and your family! That said, looking forward to the trailer buildup and wanted to see what hitch coupling you plan on using. From the masters in off road trailers, here is a list of the most common from down under...Couplings

Thanks! Not sure on hitch coupling yet. Or when to start the camper build. There is just not enough time :( Need to finalize some work on the truck first then I will move on with the camper build. I will never get anything done if I do two things at the same time.

SGTCap

Adventurer
Im going to spend some time on the driveway this weekend and look over the car on what needs to be done in the near future. I also spent some time yesterday sketching on some design changes for the front bumper to give it some flavor. Any thoughts? My only problem will be to be able to open the hood if going down this route. Which is kind of a big one...

I'll keep you posted on upcoming fabrication plans.

de8ybu3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I seeing this right? Looks like the plan is to get rid of the tubing that makes up the hoops and replace it with plate that forms new hoops. Sketch looks awesome, just trying to follow.

Btw, what program or app are you using to draw that? Looks like it would be very helpful in the design stages.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Darklight777

Your sketch is pretty good looking but I really like the way your current bumper looks as is. Is there a functional issue with the current design or just want to switch it up? BTW I think I am heading to Richland Gap trail on March 22nd with some folks from Tacoma World.

Looking at the sketch again it does look pretty bad ********!

Bobby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal