LiFePo packs in unusual shapes?

fourfa

Observer
Hello, I'm building out the power system in my camper (Alu-Cab Canopy Camper on a Jeep Gladiator). And at the moment I'm getting frustrated that the offerings from the most prominent vendors are all shaped exactly like traditional car batteries. I've got a bunch of odd leftover spaces which might otherwise go unused, and I'd rather not displace efficient storage of other gear that really does need a big empty rectangle of space.

From what I understand, the internals of a car battery-shaped Li-ion battery is just a stack of 18650s or flat polymer packs that could be any shape at all. Some examples: a thin (1-2") pack could be like 24"x24" and fit between my bed and aux fuel tank. Or if it were max 6"x9", it could be up to 24" long and fit perfectly along the wheel well. (These volumes seem roughly in line with standard in-market rectangular shapes.)

Obviously I'm on here, I do long offroad backcountry trips with bad washboards. Looking for safe durable and dependable batteries, not just over-rated junk for candlepowerwars and vape pens, nor sketchy alibaba sellers. Needs are fairly modest by overland standards; only looking for around 50Ah, maybe 100Ah at the most. 200W of solar, and I could easily live with 30A off the alternator from the existing trailer harness, so I'm not really pushing any boundaries here. (FWIW my fridge has its own battery and BMS built in, which buffers its draw)

Any pointers or keywords to search, perhaps outside of automotive and overland channels? Maybe there's a niche of small shops that can build single packs to order? Mildly curious about DIY options too, though I expect these need welded terminals for durability, and good matching battery management controllers - seems a bit beyond me but maybe there's something I can learn.

For background: up until now I've just been using a smallish Ecoflow (River 2 Max) but it really doesn't integrate well, too many vulnerable cables on the front panel when things start flying around inside, hard to tie down, it routinely barfs on the ~24v voltage from my panel with a charging overload error, and stops charging until I clear it. Plus I really want a proper DC/DC system that can maintain the starting battery from solar.

highwest

Will Prowse on YouTube is a great DIY source, among others. There’s also some thin lithium batteries out there. I think your goal is achievable, good luck.

TwinStick

Explorer
Have you given any thought to multiple 6v golf cart batteries ? You can get them in some odd sizes and they are pretty indestructible. Just a suggestion.

In other news, I have seen some new 460-480 amp hour lithium batteries but they are large, and I am not sure of the weight but they have to be much lighter than the 2, 100 ah AGM batteries that I have. They are 77 lbs each.

Good luck with your endeavor.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
thin (1-2") pack could be like 24"x24" and fit between my bed and aux fuel tank. Or if it were max 6"x9", it could be up to 24" long and fit perfectly along the wheel well. (These volumes seem roughly in line with standard in-market rectangular shapes.)
A few examples :

Sonny 12V 100AH (LifePO4) SUPER SLIM Deep Cycle Battery (B-LFP-12-100S) 23.5"x10.5"x2.5"
sp.png

BEIAMP Super Slim 12V105Ah LiFePO4 19.5"x 9.75"x2.5"
lp.png

Hardkorr 105Ah Lithium (LiFePO4) Slimline Deep Cycle Battery 28'x 13.5"x2.0"
hk.png

Disclaimer - no relationship with or knowledge of product performance or vendors/manufacturers

As far as build your own. That is a 'thing' with the eBike community. So that/they are a great source of information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy