Lifetime trailer @ costco

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
The tent used looks very similar to the cabela's 2&3 room versions.
I like the fact that costco is selling these, especially for those that can't fab up a trailer project.

As for me, I'm gonna stick with my Venter.

-Sam

captblack

SE Expedition Society
I really want the Jumping Jack without brakes to tow behind my 95 Wrangler.

I think you will really like the Jumping Jack, although the Lifetime trailer seems to be well built as well. Check the JJ pages and find a distributor in your area. There are only two in CA but they are up north - check NV. They will ship by ABF but you will probably have to assemble.

Good luck, which ever way you choose to go.

boks

Jumping Jack vs. Tent Trailer

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Jumping Jack is a 6x8 foot trailer while the Tent Trailer is a 5x7 foot trailer. So the Jumping jack carries more but has a wider wheel base. The Jumping Jack has a single wing that folds down and the tent trailer has a double wing that folds over and out that needs wing supports. Tent trailer has more sleeping area unless you purchase the extra bed converter for the jumping jack which makes the extra floor space smaller than the tent trailer. Both are around 95-96 sq. feet of room. At this point, there are more accessories for the Jumping Jack like the cooler rack, water rack and sink rack. It looks like the Jumping jack is a little quick to set up and take down. Jumping Jack GVWR is 3000 while the Tent Trailer is 2000 however the Tent Trailer is about 350 pounds lighter.

I've been looking for a Jumping Jack trailer for about 2 years but they weren't sold in Michigan. I almost had one on Craigslist but someone purchased it about an hour before I called to say I'll take it. So when Costco started selling this new tent trailer, I reviewed both designs and figured I would go with the tent trailer. Main advantage was cost and ability to purchase (and delivered). Over the Jumping Jack, I like that the beds are bigger without the bench accessories and the trailer is lighter/small which tracks nicely behind my Tacoma. Disadvantage is the wing supports that require a bit more level ground when set up but they do adjust up and down.

I'm planning on creating some type of spare wheel/tank mount on the tongue and also adding some type of quick mount for kayaks and mountain bike system for loading the top. Also, might look at making some kitchen sink attachment on the back of the wings when set up, similar to the Jumping Jack.

captblack

SE Expedition Society
One correction to the above - the Jumping Jack has two wings that open up for the beds. The wings brace against the trailer sides and do not need legs.

Both trailers are good deals, it just depends on what you plan to do with it.

boks

One correction to the above - the Jumping Jack has two wings that open up for the beds. The wings brace against the trailer sides and do not need legs.

Both trailers are good deals, it just depends on what you plan to do with it.

Yes, the jumping jack has two single wings on each side and the tent trailer has two double wings on each side. Jumping jack wings brace against the trailer and the tent trailer has the wing supports.

jeep_n_co

I'll second everything boks said. Here are 10 differences I can find:

1) JJ can carry 2 full-size ATVs, LTT only one (1800 lb payload vs 900)
2) LTT smaller in width, with a much larger sleeping area stock (just two inches from a queen sized sleeping area on each side). For me, this was a huge plus... smaller trail footprint with a larger sleeping area.
3) JJ tent setup very quick. For me, meh. LTT pretty quick also, but not "pop and go" like the JJ
4) JJ has canvas tent from what I understand, LTT has "rubberized" nylon.
5) Both are constructed using the same materials and concepts. Same company makes both (Lifetime purchased JJ). My guess is this was in JJ's product development pipeline before the purchase, and Lifetime decided to brand it under their own name.
6) No brake option on the LTT.
7) LTT is leaf-sprung solid axle, JJ is torsion bar suspended. A plus to the JJ in my opinion.
8) Integrated lights on the JJ... they hang off the sides of the LTT. For what it's worth on the LTT the lights are surrounded by very heavy steel plates.
9) Currently a lot more factory accessories for the JJ, next to none for the LTT. Hopefully, that changes over time.
10) Price... When I got my LTT, it was $3k at Costco. For that price, used JJs were on craigslist in my area, but I went this route anyway. I think the LTT now lists for $3500 at Costco. Primarily, this is because JJ has been around for a while, whereas the LTT looks to be new in 2009. Eventually, the used market for the LTT will place these in an even lower price category.

Like I said, I saw some of these differences as a positive in the direction of the LTT, but you may have differing requirements and needs. I personally wanted a profile that matched the width of my JK. Those with full-size trucks may not care about the 91" width of the JJ.

In fact, having just finished reading the Expo West link in full, I would say the LTT has all of the advantages the author lists in his conclusions (sturdy construction, an amazing amount of tent room), with none of the disadvantages (too wide).

18seeds

Explorer
my guess is that the jumping jack sets up quicker are easier than the LTT. i owned a jj and it is pretty slick how it sets up.

Errant

Explorer
Great idea with the license plate location. I wasn't too excited about the location below the driver side rear taillight.

They put it there to meet the lighting requirement. You'd need to install a plate light if you move it, right?

boks

They put it there to meet the lighting requirement. You'd need to install a plate light if you move it, right?

Interesting! I didn't think of that. It might be a state to state requirement but I don't even know what it's in Michigan. I'm not sure if it's enforced at least because there are a lot of home made trailers that don't.

Errant

Explorer
That's why the bottom half of the driver's side tail lamp has a clear window, to illuminate the license plate. No idea about Michigan, but most states I've been to have that requirement.

jeep_n_co

I did think of it... if it becomes an issue with the Charlie Cherry Top, a screwdriver and thirty seconds will resolve it. Most likely, it will never come up.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Price down at Costco 2999.00 delivered!

while supplies last!

Thanks for the heads-up! :wings: I just bought one to tow behind my Tracker. I may build a custom suspension lift for it so it can fit some larger tires and handle some of the bigger rocks on the mountain trails I'll be towing it on. It shouldn't be a big deal; I lifted a 10-foot Starcraft tent trailer 12 inches to tow behind a bigger truck and the only thing that held it back was its width squeezing between the trees. This Lifetime Tent Trailer is the best deal going!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Well, the trailer was delivered today straight from the factory, palletized exactly as in the previously posted photos. I spent a couple hours depalletizing it and starting assembly, but I haven't finished it yet.

Initial impressions are that this is a very well designed trailer. The size and gauge of the tubing and expanded metal are right for the job (strong enough for abuse, yet not overweight). Weld quality is good, and the powdercoating is good.

The primary improvement I'd like to see made are shock absorbers to help dampen trailer bounce on rough roads; I may add them once I get everything sorted out. I plan to add a locking tongue box and maybe see about lifting the suspension and adding some taller tires for better trail clearance. I don't plan to do the Rubicon with a trailer this big, but I'd like to make sure I'm able to drag it to some of my favorite remote camping locations. Depending on how I wind up using it, I may upgrade to a Max Coupler or one of the new improved Lock'N'Roll hitches.

I'll post up some photos when I get it all together and get a chance to take it out!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Well, the trailer was delivered today straight from the factory, palletized exactly as in the previously posted photos. I spent a couple hours depalletizing it and starting assembly, but I haven't finished it yet.

Initial impressions are that this is a very well designed trailer. The size and gauge of the tubing and expanded metal are right for the job (strong enough for abuse, yet not overweight). Weld quality is good, and the powdercoating is good.

The primary improvement I'd like to see made are shock absorbers to help dampen trailer bounce on rough roads; I may add them once I get everything sorted out. I plan to add a locking tongue box and maybe see about lifting the suspension and adding some taller tires for better trail clearance. I don't plan to do the Rubicon with a trailer this big, but I'd like to make sure I'm able to drag it to some of my favorite remote camping locations. Depending on how I wind up using it, I may upgrade to a Max Coupler or one of the new improved Lock'N'Roll hitches.

I'll post up some photos when I get it all together and get a chance to take it out!

Congratulations on your decision, any pictures yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3