Lightweight Expedition Options (Element, RAV4, Suzuki)

asteffes

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
The duct tape held on the custom cutout magnetic panels. It is a burgundy VX. :)

Dude, why didn't I think of that?!? :) Maybe he should have bought white instead of a pretty red truck.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
The duct tape held on the custom cutout magnetic panels. It is a burgundy VX. :)

Ahhh... Now I see that! I thought it was just a different paint scheme:hehe: I guess I threw common sense out the window (or maybe because it was 1:00 AM):hehe:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
98dsc00770.jpg

That yellow one is well-traveled. I recognize that spot! :Wow1:

96110176_493cc03fb0.jpg

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Vehicross

The Vehicross was a super cool ride but they were expensive when new and limited production numbers.

The Suzuki's are really not in the same category as the RAV4 and Element. Suzuki's have body on frame construction, coil sprung solid rear axles, and 2spd transfer cases.

What I've learned is that ANY vehicle that is USED is cool:beer:

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Hey all,

New guy here, I found this place through someone's avatar on Ih8mud after my purchase of a 1975 FJ40. This topic really caught my attention because these are the type of vehicles I'm interested in, smaller expedition vehicles. I currently drive a subaru forester, and have been fairly impressed with it's capabilities up until now. I've taken it to a lot places that probably have never seen a subaru track, and for the most part it's worked well.

Cshontz, what year subaru do you have? The first few model years did have headgasket problems, as well as wheelbearing issues, but it seems most of the problems have been resolved in the later years. I thnk the aussie guys at offroadsubarus have really taken the modding of subarus to another level, but they also get a low range transmission that we don't have over here, plus a lot more support in terms of aftermarket accessories like bullbars, liftkits, and skidplates. These things are pretty much non-existent here in the US.

I think the limiting factor on most of these small utes is the angles, front and rear, then ground clearance. I found out very quickly that the bumpers on all these cars don't really hold up to any type of punishment off road. I was actually looking at the Honda element last weekend, admiriing the relatively decent approach angles and departure angles during a trip to death valley, If they had a better AWD system or a real 4wd, it would be a nice vehicle.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrivial of the new FJ cruiser, that seems to me the perfect size car for what I want. Just big enough to carry everything, small enough to be manuverable, comfortable enough to be a daily driver, but also have very good offroad capabilities. I am just waiting (like everyone else) for toyota to redesign the rear door to into hatch configuration.

[Edit] I also wanted to mention at this years autoshow there was a really nice volvo wagon (not the SUV) outfitted expedition style. Complete with lift kit, offroad tires, roof rack, hi-lift, lights, gas cans, etc. Looked really nice, I had never even considered volvos before I saw this one.

2006_Volvo_XC70_All-Terrain_rear.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Ductapeguy :)

I really liked the Volvo as well. I admired it at SEMA. It was actually the most impressive Ford 4WD at the show :eek:

IMG_2290.JPG

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Going back to the smaller, lighter theme ...

Does anyone know how what a Subaru Outback is capable of, you know, outback?

bootzilla

Adventurer
bringing the thread back from the dead thanks to the cross-link from the Element thread.

Had a Freelander for about two and a half years before getting the Trooper.

I absolutely loved that thing - looked cool (mine had a built-in soft brush guard and twin light pods on either side), small and manuverable, great on-road ride, and the all-wheel drive system was impressive - I got through a few spots off-road that I had no business trying with totally stock tires and suspension.

It shares no parts with the Escape/Tribute. That is part of the problem - it sports an anemic 2.5L V-6 that was made by *gulp* Rover. Then Rover shut the plant down (which is why you won't find many 2005's or any 2006 Freelanders...) - imagine how easy finding parts is! (If you enjoy watching paint dry or learning useless information, I compiled a short history of the Freelander here - yes, there is something wrong with me...)

The biggest problem I had was a leaking rear main seal - engine had to come out twice to fix it. With the warranty running out - I made the decision to move into something more reliable (it was in the shop a LOT).

If it weren't for high maintenance costs and spotty reliability - a used Freebie would make an excellent starting point - you can get them cheap, lift them and put on bigger tires, and the 4 wheel drive system (with hill decent - very cool) is the best you can get without having a low range.

Fun car, but I bet the Suzuki is a better value overall.

Last edited:

txsurfer

Ok, im VERY NEW!!! I just signed up for several reasons. lets get into a little history
1st) I live in Texas and im an avid surfer, lets say obsessed!
2nd) I LOVE traveling and exploring especially in less than ideal ways (backpacking, hitchiking, bussing)
3rd) I love offroading/trail exploring, and overland travels are awsome to me

I recently completed a 33 day Mexico trip on busses just backpacking and camping the whole thing, surfing my brains out. It was simple and easy but i found out quick that while easy on the pocket book, exploring remote breaks proved to be an issue, i started thinking, overland expedition baby!

With that being said, im the proud owner of a 97 1st gen toyota RAV4 2wd 5spd manual. I haven taken this car into some very very (sorry what I would consider) sketchy places. Atfer I saw this post, I was just compelled to register. Im not into rock crawling, hardcore baja stuff, just not my style. I love the river crossings, rough trails, overland exploration type stuff. I have been outfitting my vehicle (very modestly) for such a trip next year. I should be heading through Mexico possibly into Belize, then down through the Peten in Guatemala, and back up through mexico for somewhere between 45 to 60 days.

My little RAV4 has suprised me more than once on totally stock suspension, and street tires. I have gone into deeeep drainage ditches, trying to teach myself to hold steady on severe inclines, prepaid to steer in direction of rollover if necesary. I have gotten back out of said ditches (1 barley) as well. I have made a small river crossing on a beach, was roughly knee deep all sand, no problem. I have taken it out on numerous trails and small rough dirt hill climbs, even jumped her once on accident plowing through a still being built holding pond. I love this car!

Before I leave, I plan on installing the folloing. Thule roof racks for surf boards and some camping equipment. Optima Battery backup system with 1 way charge system from main battery. Inverter with power strip to power camping equipment/cooler. Airbags inside my springs to hold the extra rear weight a little better. A floor mounted safe for money/passports. Extra hidden key system, alarm, kill switch, and BFG long trail T/As, 225/75/16s.
I just want to say that this little vehicle is a decent light offroading application, I just wish I had the 4wd!!!!

Hope to have some photos of the car and details of the trip when I get back. We are going through some very backroads in Mexico/Guatemala, so I will be bringing along a poor mans winch (come-a-long).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater