Lipstick on a Pig: The 10 Don'ts of Vehicle Modifications

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so I will.
CB and Ham are not mutually exclusive!
I have a 2m ham radio, handheld CB, and a couple of FRS radios in my truck. I also have a satellite phone (so shoot me). I can lend one FRS to someone so that I can relay comms from the rest of the group if needed.
It's more important to be able to communicate, rather than how. Whatever works.
BX

ps: I just happen to be fortunate enough to be able to have these various devices. I do understand that they are not necessarily affordable, or desireable to everyone else. Different strokes for different folks...amen.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so I will.
CB and Ham are not mutually exclusive!
Yeah, one thing I was saying (maybe it was a different thread come to think of it) that if traveling in a mixed group having one or two people with both would save trying to convince one type of user to switch.

Scott Brady

Founder
While prolific, CB and FRS are only popular as a result of accessibility and simplicity, not performance. That was the point I was trying (poorly) to make.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Through trial and error, we have worked out a system for the Central States gang. We strategically place HAM operators throughout the group, and keep most of the banter to the CB. Especially in large groups (like at the Fall Foliage Trip), the range of the CB and the HAM can both work to our advantage. Subdividing the groups into teams and using CB for banter will minimize confusion, while team leaders can still rely on the range of HAM to maintain contact even if the groups are separated. We also have a growing number of people in the group with both, and some with dual band. The equation is always changing, and sometimes it would work better if we could switch back and forth between 70cm and 2m depending on terrain (things can get pretty thick in the mountains of Arkansas).

Perhaps in the desert, HAM only would be ideal due to the group's ability to spread out. When the group needs to stay close due to navigational issues in the woods, CB works just fine (except mine). Banter including explitives is best kept off of regulated waves. I can recall some of the conversations on the last trip, and was glad I was in no danger of losing my license if I participated. :sombrero:

Particularly Bomar and his home brew trasharoo.:xxrotflma

FRS is a last resort. They don't work well and batteries fail quickly. These should only be considered as a backup system in case of failure of others.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
The conversation actually has me wondering if it is possible to amplify a CB transmission using a car stereo amplifier? Might be a way to boost the signal if you find the need to get it out a long way in an emergency...

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
This is sort of a no brainer to folks on this forum, but for me the worst mod is knowledge (or lack thereof) about their own truck. Lots of folks spend a lot of money on things that don't increase their knowledge of their truck. For example, buying Fancy rims and tires does look cool, but in my experience, the only time I have ever gotten myself into trouble was with basics.

It is always a blown alternator, or starter, or bad injector that ends the trip. Never the lack of something. And by information, I mean basic knowhow on fixing things on your truck.

Lots of people ask me why I drive Old Chevy stuff. Wouldn't a sweet new Land Cruiser be better? Or wouldn't I prefer a Range Rover? Sure, those are MUCH nicer trucks that my Suburban or my K30. But I have blood and brains in those old chevies. If my junk breaks, I have the wiring diagram in my head, ready to go. And I have built myself a tool kit and a spare part cache that makes sense for my truck.

Any mod is up to you. But the mistake people make is in not using the mods to learn ABOUT the truck. You and the truck are a team, like it or not. And the more you know about your partner, and the nicer you treat her, the better your love life is gonna be.

;)

Dan

Well said, Dan!

matt s

Explorer
I am sure the other HAM's know this but if you have dual band you can monitor all the FRS frequencies. While illegal to transmit back, it's nice to be able to monitor what's going on with your radio (better speakers reception etc) and keep the 2m tuned in on the other band. I keep a couple of FRS in the console as well. One to transmit with and the other to hand out.

BTW- Talk about thread wander.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
trainwreck.jpg

That'll happen :)

I should mention, I use cb's for one thing only. Communication in a group of vehicles at relatively short range. For any kind of emergency communication its certainly not preferable. That said, its always worth a shot if nothing else is working. Might be able to reach a trucker, logger or even a lookout (worked for me once when I was broke down pre cell phone days).

And don't assume you have no range, either on cb, frs or whatever. I've managed twelve mile on frs, from a lookout line of site down to a lake. Get some elevation and you may be surprised.

rusty_tlc

Explorer

FRS is a last resort. They don't work well and batteries fail quickly. These should only be considered as a backup system in case of failure of others.
FSR rocks for spotting on highly technical trails. I've used a 2M HT but a cheap set of FSR radios let the spotter stay in close contact with the driver with out broadcasting on 2M to the whole world.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
I think this is overkill.

0911or_15_z+off_road_hardware+randy_ellis_light_bar.jpg

how bout this,

HID.jpg

the man does have a sweet truck though,

i have used FRS radios and the past and failed, mainly due to the guy on the other end not knowing how to use it, haha, but i do have a CB in the cab and so do three of my wheeling buddies, they work good for us, camping trips, backyard wheeling and having fun, not to mention the all important "bear report" haha

one of my don'ts would be jeeps with anything bigger than 35"s, my buddy has 37"s on his wrangler and i swear he's gonna roll it one day

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Matt,

I don't like the added weight behind the rear axle, especially on short wheelbase vehicles. The spare tire is usually fairly far from the back of the jeep, more so with fuel cans mounted. A swing out rear bumper is generally about 100lbs, spare tire is 50-100lbs, fuel cans are about 50lbs each. That stuff adds up WAY fast. All the weight is also behind the rear axle, so it not only adds weight to the rear axle, it also takes weight OFF the front axle in leverage. This really starts to mess with vehicle dynamics on a SWB while trying to climb things.

Again, just my own opinion.....

I have to agree. I only have 1 gerry can, but the spare sits back to far. Add in the axe, shovel and Hi-Lift, it's a lot of weight behind the axle.

Makes the front end do this:

IMG_0393.jpg

Hafwit

Adventurer
I am enjoying the comments on this thread. I believe that many good points are raised, but that there can be no universal rules for what is good or bad. In my case, my trail vehicle is also my daily driver. The previous owner outfitted it with a lift and aftermarket bumpers and side rails. In regular use (on-road) I have had 4 people crash into my vehicle. In 3 cases it was parked. My vehicle never sustained any damage whatsoever other than barely visible scratches in the paint on the rock rails. 3 of the vehicles that hit me sustained many thousands of dollars of damage. Those aftermarket accessories have saved me a fortune. On the trail they have also kept me from sustaining nasty scratches and minor body damage. I'm not sure that I would have paid to add these to a stock vehicle, but since it came with them, I am clearly benefiting.

Cheers,
Greg

Ala5ka

VX'er
I literally just bought a CB today at a swap-meet for $12, but now I'm considering not putting it in :(

Michael Slade

Untitled
I literally just bought a CB today at a swap-meet for $12, but now I'm considering not putting it in :(

Ugh. Worst mistake you'd ever make. Don't let anyone else's opinion sway you like that. Make up your own mind. The CB will take 30 minutes to put in correctly, won't take up that much space, and just might come in handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3