Lone Peak Overland

lonepeakoverland

Good to see you've made it over here. (y)

Saw the IG video on the extrusion redesign, less deflection and less weight are good things in my book.

Curious to see how the tent and tent support structure gets revised. I know there were concerns with snow/water shedding, and you had mentioned the windows were cut too high to easily unzip them.

The tent support will be a fun problem to solve. We’ll be using 28mm aluminum tube to create the support structure so it should be rock solid even in high winds. The more challenging part is making it adjustable so we can make sure it’s properly tensioned when it clicks into place. Not quite there in the redesign process but I’m open to ideas if anyone has any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonepeakoverland

My last question has been answered. Full size truck bed platform is 80x54, so effectively a long full. 4" thick mattress. Hoping I can use a 6" thick memory foam, checking to see. Don't mind rolling up my sleeping bag and pillow to make it work. Basically we all know OEM camper mattresses are garbage. I want something comfortable.

Gotta see what the must haves are to not go to the poor house. Port for heat / air. Not sure how that would work with air, but heat I assume it is sized for a chinese diesel heater. Awesome.
Handles. Not sure I need the ones at the front, but definately need the ones on the back.
Bed ladder. I am planning on a Maxx Fan, but figure I could do my own wiring. Especially since I need some custom stuff for my CPAP anyway... Not sure if the interior wiring is worth it for me or not.

They list something called the tall edition. What is that? If that means they make the clamshell taller for a thicker mattress, I am all over that.

There’s 1/2 of gap between the mattress and the roof support struts for bedding. I don’t think it’d close with a 6” mattress. Ours is super comfy and is half gel memory foam and half high density foam. The vent is 3” and will work with a normal diesel heater. We’re making one that will store in a Gear Vault so the setup workflow will be pretty easy. The tall edition jus creates more space between the camper in your cab to clear a roof rack or a shark fin antenna.

lonepeakoverland

I have a Tacoma with sharkfin, but I am wondering if I really need it.
Also wondering that if I go with the taller version, does that mean I will have more ceiling height in the cabin under the sleeping platform?

We’re still finalizing all the measurements on shark fins so it’s unclear if you’ll need the tall version to clear the one on your truck. We need to do a lot of measuring on all models before we can provide a clear answer. Yes, it’ll give you more ceiling heigh but as if now that’s not an issue even for tall guys.

Zillon

The tent support will be a fun problem to solve. We’ll be using 28mm aluminum tube to create the support structure so it should be rock solid even in high winds. The more challenging part is making it adjustable so we can make sure it’s properly tensioned when it clicks into place. Not quite there in the redesign process but I’m open to ideas if anyone has any.

I feel like some inspiration could be drawn from ground tents here. Perhaps a tension pole that bows out to keep things tight?

There’s 1/2 of gap between the mattress and the roof support struts for bedding. I don’t think it’d close with a 6” mattress. Ours is super comfy and is half gel memory foam and half high density foam. The vent is 3” and will work with a normal diesel heater. We’re making one that will store in a Gear Vault so the setup workflow will be pretty easy. The tall edition jus creates more space between the camper in your cab to clear a roof rack or a shark fin antenna.

Might have me opting for the vents if a diesel heater that stows in the gear vault is something that's on the table. That sounds fantastic.

Roam.Wild

Perhaps a tension pole that bows out to keep things tight?

this is how the roof on our last RTT (Ironman Nomad 1300) was, a tension / spring rod that bowed. It was placed up in the roof when we did all the rain fly tension rods. I’ll try to find a good picture.

lonepeakoverland

this is how the roof on our last RTT (Ironman Nomad 1300) was, a tension / spring rod that bowed. It was placed up in the roof when we did all the rain fly tension rods. I’ll try to find a good picture.

Ok, nice. That’d be good to see. The Roofnest Falcon uses an adjustable bar on top but it’s so high up on ours it’s be hard to get to. I’m hoping to have something at the base of the assembly to adjust easily.

dbhost

Yeah, I've been hitting you guys up on email. I need to figure out the order process. A pity I missed the discounted sale. Didn't even run across the ads for them or see them discussed here until earlier this week...

Roam.Wild

Ok, nice. That’d be good to see. The Roofnest Falcon uses an adjustable bar on top but it’s so high up on ours it’s be hard to get to. I’m hoping to have something at the base of the assembly to adjust easily.

YEah I forgot that roof is like 10ft tall, so this probably even isn't an option. Maybe something like a strut on each side?

starts at the 6:08 mark,the link will take ya right to it.

Zillon

Somehow missed the comment about the Roofnest Falcon - disregard the message I sent on IG, then. ?

TexasSixSeven

Observer
We’re still finalizing all the measurements on shark fins so it’s unclear if you’ll need the tall version to clear the one on your truck. We need to do a lot of measuring on all models before we can provide a clear answer. Yes, it’ll give you more ceiling heigh but as if now that’s not an issue even for tall guys.

Any chance you can post a picture or two of the interior cab side wall? I’m trying to figure out a mounting solution for the cab side wall. In one of the pre release videos you talked about a molle panel on the interior wall closest to the truck cab, and that would be perfect if so. However I didn’t see anything about it on the release videos, so assumed that idea might have been scratched. Not a problem really, but will need to figure out my own solution if so.

BP89

@Roam.Wild - Do you have any updates you might be able to share beyond what has been posted on social media? I'm excited for this camper and some of the revisions! I'm disappointed there are delays, but those were expected. Hoping you might be able to share some ambassador insights if you have any.

Two things I'm curious about (like TexasSixSeven) is in the videos, it looks like there are some accessory molle panels in the space that wasn't in the original accessory options, or is there a way to mount some? Do you know when the second prototype and production model might be out and when we might be able to see it in person?

Roam.Wild

@Roam.Wild - Do you have any updates you might be able to share beyond what has been posted on social media? I'm excited for this camper and some of the revisions! I'm disappointed there are delays, but those were expected. Hoping you might be able to share some ambassador insights if you have any.

Two things I'm curious about (like TexasSixSeven) is in the videos, it looks like there are some accessory molle panels in the space that wasn't in the original accessory options, or is there a way to mount some? Do you know when the second prototype and production model might be out and when we might be able to see it in person?

There will be 2 "final production" versions out at the end of April! One on his F-150 and one on a Tacoma. Once those are built and all final checks are done, they will be placing a large material order to start building all of ours. They are getting their shop ready at the moment and are just waiting on materials really.

There are going to be a few more accessories released throughout the year as mentioned in the latest video. There are going to be 2 different molle panels, a square version that can be placed anywhere inside along their modular track and one that goes the entire bulkhead, but when they are going to be released I'm not sure, I'd imagine before the first set of campers starts shipping out though.

No exciting updates other than that, just playing the waiting game! Hopefully once material shows up for the 2 final production "prototypes" there will be more activity!

BP89

@Roam.Wild - thank you for the update! I appreciate the insight!

Definitely looking forward to this and hoping fabrication goes smoothly to facilitate mid summer deliveries so we can all use the campers this summer. I know they have been working hard to bring this to market, and I'm looking forward to being on the front end of it. Thanks!

Roam.Wild

@Roam.Wild - thank you for the update! I appreciate the insight!

Definitely looking forward to this and hoping fabrication goes smoothly to facilitate mid summer deliveries so we can all use the campers this summer. I know they have been working hard to bring this to market, and I'm looking forward to being on the front end of it. Thanks!

Yeah I am really hoping for no more delays, but people have to understand delays are totally the norm when bringing a new product to market. So it would not surprise me if there were more delays.

The biggest time suck is just waiting on materials, they've said before once all materials are on hand they can build one out in 4-5 hours!

But I'm tired of waiting! Not that it's remotely close to camping weather here in CO lol, but dang I want it already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother