Looking for first expedition/overland rig

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
The idea of a capable trailblazer has crossed my mind many times. I think they look sharp and are a great starting point for a do-it-all rig.

Check the link in my sig and there are a few others on here that are nicely done. Mine seems to impress people and has definitely impressed me.

reece146

Automotive Artist
The automatic transmission used in XJ Cheokees is an AW4, i.e. Aisin-Warner, same transmission used in a lot of Japanese 4x4s (Toyotas - A340, maybe others). It's pretty bulletproof, I'm not sure what the reference above about it being problematic is about.

There's nothing wrong with RENIX fuel injection if you know how to run a multi-meter - or so I'm told. If anything the fact at it has a knock sensor makes it better option for a built engine.

I'm not trying to sell you on the XJ, you've read my opinion of them above, but incorrect data needs to be cleared up.

A hard body Pathfinder with a V8 swap could be pretty sweet but it would be a lot of work.

If you are handy and can increase your budget you may want to consider finding a truck at has already been worked over (engine swap, SAS, lifted, other mods, whatever). You see lots of 80 series that have been worked over for not a lot of money at ih8mud.com. Or just buy something relatively turn key like a LX470 or Expedition, bolt on some 33s and call it done.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Oh, and there is nothing wrong with the front axle in a XJ... The high pinion version will deal with 33-35" tires off-road fine provided you don't drive like a 'tard or try to be the next KOH hero.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I like the Xterra. The two I've driven (first gens) felt kind of top heavy though. Bolting on some armour could fix that I guess.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well I want an SUV so I could say maybe sleep in it, plus, the extra seating space would be a nice bonus.

As for the 4runner, any reason you suggest the 1st gen over a 2nd or even 3rd gen?

I'll chime in WRT the 4runner.

I'm a Toyota owner but the biggest downside to the 4runner is that IMO they are overpriced in the used market. You can probably find a 2nd gen (90-95) within your price range but it will most likely have the problematic 3.0 (a/k/a "three point slow") V-6. The 3.0 is OK as long as the head gasket is in good shape, a later model would probably be better in this respect. Still, I've seen a lot of these advertised for ~$5k which I think is ridiculous for a 20+ year old vehicle with an underpowered motor.

3rd gen 4runners (which is what I own) are much, much better in terms of having the bulletproof 3.4 and a less trouble-prone rear hatch setup (the problem with the 1st and 2nd gen is that if your regulator is broken, your tailgate is unusable because you need to roll down the window in order to open the tailgate. Every 1st and 2nd gen I've seen has an electric rear window - I've never seen a manual crank like the one on the old Blazer. On the 3rd gen, you can open and close the rear hatch even if the window doesn't roll down.)

Again, Toyotas are good vehicles but IMO you can get more vehicle for less $$ if you go with a Nissan, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Jeep, etc.

BTW, I'll put in a good word for the 1st gen Explorer, too. With a decent suspension they are pretty capable vehicles. Check out my Moab trip report to see some nicely built up 1st gen explorers, they did very well on White Rim and other trails in the Moab area.

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
Jeeps are big mecano sets in a way. I prefer the YJs because of the simpler dash. Some complain about the leaves but any swb Jeep I owned would get long arms in the front at a minimm so that doesn't bother me. Out of he box the TJ is a higher performance vehicle than the YJ.

SWB Jeeps ar seriously restricted by what they can carry or tow.

I'd seriously look at a lwb TJ but that will likely blow your budget. The interior is almost the same as an XJ around the dash area (i.e. craptastically Chrysler)

I was harsh about the XJ. The issues can be fixed but other vehicles are better built and don't need the fixes.

1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees are supposed to have a more robust unibody to the point that stiffeners are not required to add rigidity. Supposedly Porsche was subcontracted to design the unibody. I have no experience wrt how they hold up in off-road usage. The few I've driven felt like the typical Chrysler POS.[/QUOTE

The LWB TJ is the LJ made from 04 to 06 if I am correct. And good luck finding any decent TJ/LJ under $4K. They are way overpriced. As for the YJ and even the TJ they share many componets with the XJ. The XJ is not a bad vehicle, I have a 99 and love it, have had no problems with it. Only downside for me is I live MAine were rust is problem, so my rockers are crap, but frame is in real good condition. If you could find a 95-96 or 98-99 XJ you would be real set. Those are the best years they made them. If you find a good one you will be set. But it is truly like any vehicle there are cream puffs and P.O.S.

bloodycape

Observer
I like the Xterra. The two I've driven (first gens) felt kind of top heavy though. Bolting on some armour could fix that I guess.
Do you have any experience on how they are overall vs a Nissan Hardbody/Pathfinder? Also how does it compare to the Cherokee overall? Thanks.

My uncle had a 3rd gen 4runner limited(was a 4x2, almost prerunner-ish in looks) and I thought it was a nice, but the leather seats were a bit stiff for my taste; then again that was the back seat. I did like how much power the 3.4 had(drove it once in HS). Kind of silly you have to roll down a window to get the hatch open. As for 4x4 capabilities, would the 2nd gen or 3rd gen be a better starting point vs the 1st gen?
Edit: a quick search brought up a few in 3rd gen 4x4 in the 4000 range, which could be a good start, though some were the 4cylinder models.

Not a Ford person really so no Explorer, or Expedition. LC60/80 are a good choice, but size, and MPG are a no(at least for now). And Wrangler unlimited hardtop would be a nice choice, but out of my budget. Thank you though for the suggestions.

Last edited:

bloodycape

Observer
Size wise how does the FJ55 compare to the FJ60? Would the FJ55 be close to size of the 4runner(say 3rd gen or newer)? Thanks.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I love FJ60s, but if you are talking about 4runners, Pathfinders etc, Land Cruisers are in a different league. They are slow, heavy, old, and generally bomb proof. I think 55s are cool to look at, but they are dinosaurs. None of the FJs are good on fuel either.

I forgot to address the size thing... 55s and 60s are bigger than XJs, but not a lot. You said earlier that 20 mpg was a goal, well, you can expect about half that in a FJ. If I were you, I would drive a couple of different 3.4 powered 3rd gen 4runners. If you can get a 5spd, it would be a great rig. If you find one near $4k, bonus!

Last edited:
I love FJ60s, but if you are talking about 4runners, Pathfinders etc, Land Cruisers are in a different league. They are slow, heavy, old, and generally bomb proof. I think 55s are cool to look at, but they are dinosaurs. None of the FJs are good on fuel either.

I agree, the Land Cruiser in a whole other league. The upper class of vehicles consists of the Land Cruiser, Range Rover, Montero, Discovery, G-wagen, Toureg, Q7, Patrol/QX56 etc.

The 4runner is in direct competition with the Montero Sport, Pathfinder, Xterra, S10 Blazer/Trailblazer, Explorer, Sorento, XL7, FJ Crusier, Cherokee etc.

Last edited:

bloodycape

Observer
Well I was thinking if I went with say an FJ55 I could with a motor swap get it to around 20mpg(freeway) with decent power. My father drives a MB GLK that gets around 20mpg out of a 3.5 making about 270hp, and that weights in about 4100lbs, which right around what a loaded FJ55 would weight. If I say put in something like a 4cylinder that make say 200hp, with 200 ft.lb of tq, I could get the MPG I want with out sacrificing power much, since stock the 55 made around 130hp, and 210 ft.tq if I am not mistaken. Or am on the wrong train of thought here? Would the FJ55 be a hard build or since some of the underparts are shared with the FJ40 series make it a bit easier?

Speaking of the Montero, how is the 2dr Montero/Raider as an expo rig? Would the shorter wheelbase be a factor here or will it handle most roads acceptably? Thanks.

Edit: Didn't realize the QX56 moved away from the F-Alpha platform(what every rwd Nissan suv/truck is on) to what the Patrol is using, not bad at all.

Last edited:
Well I was thinking if I went with say an FJ55 I could with a motor swap get it to around 20mpg(freeway) with decent power. My father drives a MB GLK that gets around 20mpg out of a 3.5 making about 270hp, and that weights in about 4100lbs, which right around what a loaded FJ55 would weight. If I say put in something like a 4cylinder that make say 200hp, with 200 ft.lb of tq, I could get the MPG I want with out sacrificing power much, since stock the 55 made around 130hp, and 210 ft.tq if I am not mistaken. Or am on the wrong train of thought here? Would the FJ55 be a hard build or since some of the underparts are shared with the FJ40 series make it a bit easier?

Speaking of the Montero, how is the 2dr Montero/Raider as an expo rig? Would the shorter wheelbase be a factor here or will it handle most roads acceptably? Thanks.

Edit: Didn't realize the QX56 moved away from the F-Alpha platform(what every rwd Nissan suv/truck is on) to what the Patrol is using, not bad at all.

The 2 door Montero is a great little offroad rig. The major down side is space or the lack there of. Many guys get around this issue by going with roof racks and by having a highly organized storage system. I had a 1991 Montero with a 3.0L V6 and it was amazing. It could crawl through 4+ trails in stock form. These are the same trails that gave my fathers 1994 toyota pickup fits. He was amazed by the Montero's ability. I also had a pickup with the 2.6L 4 cylinder and I was not as impressed. It was too underpowered. If you decide to go that route, look for a 1989-1991 model with the 3.0L V6. Both the manual and automatic trannies are great behind the V6. The V6 also has a larger frame and axles than the 4 cylinder Monteros. You can also easily upgrade to a 4d56 or 4M40 turbo diesel.

And yes, I would love to get my hands on a 2011 QX56. There are a few floating around town and I drool every time I see one.:drool:

bloodycape

Observer
Was there any real difference between the Montero and Raider? How is the mileage and fuel tank on the 2drs?

As for the FJ55, would what I am thinking work, or no? Thanks

reece146

Automotive Artist
There's no way a built '55 weighs 4100 lbs in fighting condition. My XJ weighs almost 4200 lbs and it's half the size and hasn't been outfitted with comms, storage control or a rear bumper yet. That'll be at least another 350 lbs.

To make a '55 compete with a modern vehicle you either need to spend a lot of time and money on upgrading it or spend the money upfront for one that has already been gone through. It's cheaper to buy it done already because you never get the value at resale on a vehicle like this. Find a built one for $10k and the person that built it has likely spent $20k+++ depending on how much of the labour they did themselves.

Getting 20 mpg out of a '55 is going to require a lot of attention to detail and a small engine is going to make it miserable to drive once built. Anything less than 300-400 lb-ft TQ is going to be trying on modern highways once loaded and/or pulling a trailer unless you like clogging the right lane. IMO the minimum spec for a build should be something like a GM Gen IV V8 engine.

Even doing all that it still won't be as nice as a modern vehicle unless you really know what you are doing and nailed the attention to detail part.

Do you want a project or do you want to go somewhere?

bloodycape

Observer
The Pathfinder my parents had weighted in at ~4100lbs and that came with a 3.0L motor making around 155hp and 180 lb-ft. I never found power to be an issue on the freeway, and it was able to do 70mph with not much fuss, plus MPG was a solid 16-17mpg the last few years we had it. Therefore, I thought if I went with a FJ55 and put in a 4banger that made around 200hp and 200 lb-ft it would be alright. I guess not? I did notice that some of the FJ55 on sale had a V8 swap in there, and they were going for around 6-7k. I guess that could be the right start. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner