Looking for first expedition/overland rig

reece146

Automotive Artist
Keep in mind that a Pathfinder is likely twice as aerodynamic as a '55 and that drag increases at the square of velocity. The difference in power required to push a '55 at 55 mi/h is a lot less than at 65 mi/h. Now add a lift, extra weight, etc., etc.

I don't want to be negative on a project truck but by the sounds of it you'd rather have a driver now.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Btw, for me if the choice was between a hard body Pathy and a '55 I'd probably pick the Pathy. More modern, doesn't stand out in a crowd.

I stopped at a gas station today with my Jeep, which is a sleeper of sorts, if you don't know Jeeps you'd think it was stock. A member of our local 4x4 club showed up in his Pinzgauer and within the time it took to pump gas into the thing he ended up surrounded by people asking questions, and such. If you don't mind the attention get something unique like the '55. I'd rather be anonymous and keep moving.

I do get stopped to talk when I'm towing the Starcraft RT though. That thing is a gawker magnet.

Just something to think about.

bloodycape

Observer
Not really, I want a project truck I can slowly build, but I also don't want something that is going to be a guzzler, or not able to reach 75mph(nor do I want 0-60 in 14 second range). Would something the 1GR-FE 2000's Toyota motor be suitable for a 55, or is there a better and more fuel efficient V6 that would be a better swap option?
Also, you really think a boxish 93 Pathfinder would be more aerodynamic vs a FJ55, which looks less boxyish(at least vs the Pathfinder). I think I would be fine with the attention at first, but may get a bit tired of it, then again I am located in southern california, so it may just be another person who like the classics. Thanks.

From reading everything you have said, you are looking for:

2 door SUV is acceptable
Turbo Diesel is preferred
Fuel efficient
project vehicle would be fun
Maybe something a little different but you can get parts for it
can go 75mph on the freeway
Power is not a big concern, it just needs to be adequate.

Is this correct?

deadbeat son

Explorer
A few questions...

What are your plans? You mention wanting to tour from AK to the Amazon. Why the requirement to do 4+ trails? Are you looking to explore off the beaten path, or to go 'wheeling? If you're looking to travel reliably and see a lot of sights, a vehicle built to handle 4+ trails on your budget may not be reliable for the distances you want to travel. Plus, the serious off road use could cause added wear and repairs creating additional budgetary concerns.

What does your budget of $4k include? Vehicle purchase price only? Vehicle plus necessary maintenance to freshen it up? Vehicle plus maintenance plus mods? Is $4k the total budget, or the beginning budget? If just the beginning, how much do you plan to spend overall? How much work are you planning to do on the vehicle yourself?

You seem to be pretty young, is this a first vehicle of your own? If not, what do you currently have? What do you like/dislike about it? How long until you plan to begin your travels? How long until you make your purchase? What will you be doing in the time between purchase and departing? (IE what kind of time can you dedicate to maintenance and prep?)

Providing some more background such as this should help those trying to provide some suggestions as to your vehicle.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I do get stopped to talk when I'm towing the Starcraft RT though. That thing is a gawker magnet.

Which RT do you have? We just traded our '08 14RT for an Adventurer 10T truck camper. We did over 400 nights in the 14RT, but the set-up and tear down started to be a drag, and paying extra tolls for the third axle on the Autopiste sucks too.

bloodycape

Observer
From reading everything you have said, you are looking for:

2 door SUV is acceptable
Turbo Diesel is preferred
Fuel efficient
project vehicle would be fun
Maybe something a little different but you can get parts for it
can go 75mph on the freeway
Power is not a big concern, it just needs to be adequate.

Is this correct?

I dunno if TDI is prefered, but it would be a bonus/nicety. I would overal like an engine that will give me some solid MPG(close to 20), while still allowing me to keep up on the freeway. The rest is pretty much spot on.
~4k would be my starting budget, and then I could slowly work from there when I am able to get more.

I'm 26 actually, and my current ride is IS300 that was my fathers before he decided he wanted something else. I like the car a lot, but I would like a 4x4 for overlanding and seeing parts of the country less traveled, something not offered in the Lexus. I would keep that as like the DD.

bigmack

Observer
The perfect suv for you may actually be the Isuzu VehiCross. It's kind of rare, has the near 20mpg you want(I think I read with a mod or two and driving normally you can get it to do 24mpg on the freeway). Parts can be fairly cheap, and available since it's on the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport platform. The only down side for you maybe it maybe on the smaller side for you. I have seen them going for as low as $3000 in pretty solid condition. Check one out.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Which RT do you have? We just traded our '08 14RT for an Adventurer 10T truck camper. We did over 400 nights in the 14RT, but the set-up and tear down started to be a drag, and paying extra tolls for the third axle on the Autopiste sucks too.

It's an 11RT. I really wanted a Jayco Baja (10Y?) without the front storage deck but they are non-existant on the used market on this end of the country it seems... at least when I was shopping. Still need to put on a bit of lift to match the height of the Jeep, may cut the deck off at some point.

I don't find the set up and tear down too terrible. It would be easier if it eas better made but I'll address that at some point. My unit is much smaller so easier I guess?

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
~4k would be my starting budget, and then I could slowly work from there when I am able to get more.

I'm 26 actually, and my current ride is IS300 that was my fathers before he decided he wanted something else. I like the car a lot, but I would like a 4x4 for overlanding and seeing parts of the country less traveled, something not offered in the Lexus. I would keep that as like the DD.

When buying a used vehicle, you need to account for the routine maintenance that should be performed before embarking on any extended trips. Such items would include servicing the engine, transmission, t-case, and both diffs. In addition, it would probably be a good idea to flush and fill the radiator, replace all belts and hoses, possibly replace brakes and repack or replace wheel bearings. You may need to replace the timing chain or belt as well; a $4k vehicle is likely going to have some serious miles on the clock.

All of those items are necessary to prevent any catastrophic failures and should be considered a minimum for safe travel off the beaten path. As you can imagine, doing all of that maintenance will take a considerable chunk out of your $4k budget, hence the reason I asked if you're willing to do some work yourself. Even if you do perform all of the labor, this will still take a significant amount of money. This is something you really should factor into the budget regardless of vehicle you plan to start with.

The reason I asked about the 4+ trail capability is most of your travel goals could possibly be done in a soft-roader (Subaru Forester, Honda CR-V, etc). These vehicles should allow you to average the fuel economy you desire, but don't have a low range for serious off road use. (A dual-range transmission can be sourced for the Forester, but that involves importing one from the EU, Australia, Africa, or somewhere else.)

Any modded 4WD vehicle is going to have a difficult time meeting the 20mpg requirement. Weight and drag play a significant factor. Since I swapped out the tires on my Tacoma, I have difficulty getting better than 18mpg where as 20 wasn't an issue with the lighter weight highway tires that came installed on it. Add some serious weight for travels, etc, it will continue to drop.

bloodycape

Observer
I've thought about the Forester, but they seem to be a bit more rally oriented(at least from what I have seen) when it come to off-roading. Still something I may look out for if more people think it could work. I know the site has a project Forester in the works and I would like to see their end results before making a judgement on it. I also think the Forester would be much better at off-roading vs the CR-V as from what I have seen in videos, it comes with a better 4x4 system.

I saw a FJ60 on the street today and thought the size may work for me actually, but I still like how the FJ55 looks. But, then again I have seen a lot of semi-ready FJ60s going for 6-7k, a bit over what I would want to initially spend, but if I wait longer could be a nice option. hmm.

scrubber3

Not really here
Check this out

http://www.fourwheeler.com/howto/128_9704_cheap/viewall.html

I'm biased towards my Mitsubishi (see build thread in sig) partly because of the low entry cost. A little wrench turning and they are bombproof.

There are many makers out there to choose from and one will be right for you. I say, take your time and test drive what you can. Do some solo research, and get what you know you'll use and enjoy owning.

Good luck!

Check this out

http://www.fourwheeler.com/howto/128_9704_cheap/viewall.html

I'm biased towards my Mitsubishi (see build thread in sig) partly because of the low entry cost. A little wrench turning and they are bombproof.

There are many makers out there to choose from and one will be right for you. I say, take your time and test drive what you can. Do some solo research, and get what you know you'll use and enjoy owning.

Good luck!

I don't think you're bias towards Mitsubishi's I think your eyes have been opened and you see the Montero for what it is. Not only is it the best kept secret when it comes to 4x4's, they are extremely capable and very reliable.

scrubber3

Not really here
I don't think you're bias towards Mitsubishi's I think your eyes have been opened and you see the Montero for what it is. Not only is it the best kept secret when it comes to 4x4's, they are extremely capable and very reliable.

Ahem, I really like the fact of them being a secret. If people start buying them, our prices for support will increase. So, yeah, they're just okay.... Hint hint. Work with me here.

bloodycape

Observer
Thank you for the link, I will take a look at it.

Well the Montero/Raider does looks pretty nice. Is there a difference between the two or are they exactly the same car just with a different badge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven