Looking to absorb some of the Jeep wisdom here

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I recommend buying it with a hardtop and then buying a soft top afterwards. JK/JKUs that come with the hard top from the factory are prewired for the wiper and fluid, so it's one less thing you have to do if you end up wanting to use a hard top. Downside is storing it - a hoist is a good way to go if you have the garage and space.

I have a Mopar premium soft top from a 2011, and a Bestop Trektop NX for my Jeep (bought the Trektop first, wanted to try traditional and got killer deal on NIB top), both are great and have had zero leaking or condensation issues. The sound difference is big between the two (Mopar is better) - could be a combination of the shape and the material. Splurge a bit when getting a soft top and buying a higher end fabric (sail cloth or whatever they have now).

Not going to dive into their argument, but I bought a Rubi because I was unsure when I could upgrade to lockers and higher gearing (among other things). I only found cheaper/reasonable models with 3.21s when I was looking, so the Rubi's standard 3.73s in auto transmissions was good enough for me. Runs 35s fine, though I would like to get to a 4.56 or so down the road. Having the upgraded transfer case is great for the wheeling I do, having lockers allowed me to look elsewhere for mod money when it came along, and the stock tires and armor helped me through the early stages of my Jeep ownership and wheeling. Overall, wouldn't do anything different besides looking a bit more for 4.10s and I can say I'd do a Rubi again down the road.

da10A

Adventurer
The JK hardtop is more pleasant to deal with than the softop. The front panels are as quick to remove as the soft top side windows timewise, and you have the exact same driver experience as if the soft top was down since no top is present anywhere over the front passengers head, all the way back to the sound bar.

The soft top is a pain to put down and is nowhere near as simple to lower as any power activated convertible car. The rear cargo area is an even bigger pain to get to since you have to pull, unzip and roll the rear window for any cargo access.... With the top down you just cant access it unless you go over or under the restimg top that is blocking cargo access. Where the hardtop has the liftgate and accessing is a snap for grocery, dog etc...

However, you have to at least get soft door for the front for the odd drive here and there.... That is an experience you must try. Doorless is a charm.

Oh... And never had moisture either....

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I think I found it! It's only a 2 door though...

attachment.php

da10A

Adventurer
Just make sure it doesn't have 3.21 gears and you are good to go.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

da10A

Adventurer
Jeep should be like ferrari... Enzo himself said the only american vehicle remotely close to ferraris were jeeps... One should need to apply with intentions to modify or use to be allowed to buy... But then again, maybe I would have been turned down myself this time around..lol..B-) Cause I sure do not do this jeep justice usewise...

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

NAD

I bought a 2012 Sport and slowly spent $4,500 on 4.11 gears, locker, tires, and a front swaybar disconnect.

Cheaper than buying a Rubicon, my tires are better, and I don't have to enjoy/deal with a 4:1 transfer case.

When my wife and I were shopping for a Jeep, the one rule was it'd be an automatic if it was her daily driver.

I drive it every day, so it's a manual. And she is much happier being a passenger on our adventures anyhow!

So...

After absorbing all the wisdom you guys were great enough to share, I continued into whiling away my hours digging into every stupid Jeep forum and website I could find (the biggest topic on most is "my 35" tires are only 34" tall, I'm taking them back...), but there was a lot of info to be learned too.

End of the day, as many have said here, ended up buying a new one. Even after numerous people (including me) telling her she probably would be happier with a JKU, she opted for the 2 door JK. Then it came down to making sure her needs were covered (and of course mine too :) ). Looking at the used market didn't show anything around here that was close. Probably could have dug around more but, where's the fun with that. Had actually gotten prepped to go in and order one using the Costco discount. I found an order guide that dealers use, shows all the options available for each sub-model, MSRP and Factory Wholesale Price (what the dealers like calling Dealer Invoice). I played with this and that coming up with ideas and dreaming till I got tired of looking at it. Kept checking dealer inventories and anything that was close was black. Neither of us wanted a black Jeep. Looks real cool when they're washed, so it would look good once or twice a year, of course that's the case with any of our vehicles. Anyway, came across a White one that had most of the things we were looking for, and the things missing I can install. It ended up being a Rubicon JK. By the time I was done looking at options, I knew it would be a Rubi, the transfer case being a downside in my mind but not a big deal. Having the D44 front and 4.10 gears (it's an auto and came with the optional 4.10s) off the bat pushed it over the edge. Finding something on a lot that met almost all the criteria vs. ordering and waiting 6 - 8 weeks sealed the deal. Got it under "Dealer Invoice" so not a bad deal in an area that flows these things a lot.

20160315_180433.jpg

As we were waiting for all the paperwork to be done I was trying think of a good name/theme for a White vehicle with Black trim, Panda - no, Peguin - no, Zebra - definitely no. The it came to me, she always called my old truck Bad Habit because I always took it out and broke it, still use Bad Habit on some forums so this could work. So, black and white, Bad Habit - how about a sexy nun? Did a quick search for some stickers, and while I found many I liked, she wasn't so keen on the idea. Then I found this

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Gonna try and sneak at least a little sticker on there, we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, so far so good, got most of the stuff coming that I wanted for her (heated seats to be added, and a remote start system, cheaper to do myself then get from the factory anyway). Looking to get it set up to tow behind our F350/Hallmark so I don't need to go through and deck it out with extra storage and roof racks, etc. Still a lot of things to personalize it and I have to get permission before I do anything to it.

Thanks for all the input.

JR

nice jeep and good nick name

I have an 08 rubi with 315 70 17 that are 34 and they are just fine. Mine is called Burley because the plates are BRL..... One th best names I have seen for a jeep was Jolly Mon on a blue islander Jolly Mon is a Jimmy buffet song just in case you didn't know

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
And...the first poser shot

View attachment 335782

Gonna move into this slowly :)

Congrats on the jeep...you will enjoy it.
...one thing about the jeep fourms - make sure you understand who is posting (JKU vs JK). Different animals when it comes to capability & handling...Example: I was following a stock 2door Rubicon on a trail. My tires were frequently full stuff & rubbed on obstacles where a 2-door jeep went right over w/o issues. I had an easier time of it some obstacles, but by in large, the 2-door Rubicon was able traverse things easier than my 4-door. Both of us were running 285 Duratracs with the same spacers (1"), no lifts.

For your 2 door JK Rubi...I recommend the following as immediate upgrades...Unbelievable difference in handling & control...

1. Fox ATS Adjustable Steering Stabilizer - helps to control the quick/flighty steering that is prevalent with 2 door jeeps.
2. JKU Rubicon Springs (will give you a small lift, reduces body roll)
3. Rancho RS9000XL shocks (reduces body roll) (you can get away with using the RUBI shocks, but the ability to tune for weight/trails is really nice).
4. Manual over-ride of the lockers (allows locker usage in 4hi)...at a minimum, do the rear.

My own 2 cents regarding the transfer case: I frankly don't understand the folks that bemoan the lower gearing of the Rubi xfer case...I have a 2007 JKU Rubicon. I have owned & driven trucks that have a mild 4lo and more aggressive 4lo. A 4:1 case is an ideal compromise between maximum torque control and usability. >4:1 - too slow. <3:1 - not enough torque multiplication & wheel speed control. The speed & control of a 4:1 transfer case makes traversing various conditions much easier, more controlled, and leaves less of a impact (think Tread Lightly). While there are conditions that require speed & wheel spin, I prefer to take controlled approach if at all possible - and minimize speed/maximize safety and control. Sure you can bomb over obstacles...but that typically requires more armor, more beef and more $$$.

With the Rubi transfer case, you have the option to simply choose the best gear to get over/through the obstacle - if that means shifting into 4hi to get more speed, or using 4lo for more torque control. The tranny allows you to fill in the gaps...simple. Again, I think folks under-utilize that ability to shift in & out of the x-fer case gearing.

The ability to disconnect the swaybar and a selectable locker on either axle allows for an approach that is more enjoyable and less prone to breakage.
Regarding lockers: I use my rear locker very frequently on moderate (and harder) trails - constantly switching it on/off to negotiate obstacles. Many I can get over with a little bit of wheel spin/speed, but when locked, I'm controlled and measured. In previous trucks and in this one, a locker is the single most useful item I've ever had on a 4wd. Locking an axle to get a slippery boat ramp, getting off of a muddy ledge, getting out of a snowy ditch/ravine, etc...I actually think most folks in the US under-utilize their lockers.

Retrofitting a vehicle with a controllable/switchable locker is not an inexpensive option. Being able to get lockers AND a remotely controlled sway bar...now there is something that I would spring for in a heart beat.

You will be able to go/do many things with your STOCK RUBICON - especially a 2-door...I was amazed at what the jeep/careful driving could do. The stock tires are damn good on just about every surface - don't be in a hurry to swap them out just because they come from the factory. These things are bigger/more aggressive better than of many the modified jeeps would run just a few years ago. (I think some people have an unjust bias against factory selections...).

Bottom line...try it for a while, I think you'll be amazed and can spend more money on gas for the trips!

unkamonkey

Explorer
The best advice you got was to go out and drive your stock Jeep and see what it will do. The other thing is to practice what you learned and as people on many forums have said, a stock Jeep either an old CJ2A or a JKUR will do more than you think. I've driven a few trails in 2WD high range that others in 4X4s were stuck on the next day. I don't know it all but I still practice after 47 years of driving Jeeps.

More sage advice, thx. For now it's about taking care of some of the creature comfort things for mama, get the seat heaters installed, remote start, get some better (i.e. some) interior storage for all the clutter that just appears. Made the mistake of showing her some WayOfLife videos. She enjoys them but said she's now afraid of what I might do to her jeep, so now I have get double permission before I even start planning :). Overtime I'm sure it will start collecting all the mods, but for the most part, it'll do most of what will use it for straight out of the box. As it's her daily driver, I do have to be careful of reliability and just keeping it on the road and safe, she's not one to nurse a broken vehicle around.

The one major modification we are going to do is set it up for flat towing behind the F350/K2. While I can get the truck into a lot of remote places, it's a little full figured to really explore trails and a lot of different areas. Dragging it behind will be easy and with the truck and I can get into some nice remote camp areas, then base camp it from there with the Jeep to explore. The diesel won't even notice it back there, so other then extra length and remembering that I can't back with it, should work out well.

Anyone familiar with supplemental braking systems for Toads? I want to tie into the F350 brake controller, but so far have only found one, SmartBrakeLLC (I think they used to be called Unified Tow Brake). I could possibly get away with out a system, but I prefer to overbuild things and I'd rather not rely solely on the trucks brakes with camper, jeep, and more crap than what is need for an antarctic expedition (normal packing it seems)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77