LTT-MCC Marine Corps Chassis Overland Trailer Build

hsestes

Henry S Estes
Next up was to figure out spacing and measurements to get the trailer lowered so it would ride level with the Jeep and mock up the Timbren Axle-less Suspension. I chose the Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System - Straight Spindle Only - 3,500 lbs from eTrailer and will start off running it with a idler hub. At a later date I may go back and add Electric brakes. Mounting these will require some modifications and creation of some steel brackets that can be bolted to the aluminum frame to get the new axles at the correct height. Also, since I am running wide tires, I will be required to run a 2" spacer so the wheel will clear the axle assembly and fender well.

2016-08-06 14.29.52.jpg 2016-08-06 14.21.41.jpg

hsestes

Henry S Estes
I was reading some threads here that brought it to my attention. I think I had purchased the trailer less than a week later. That site can be addicting, as I have found quite a few things I want :)

Will follow for sure. How did you find planet.gov web site? Thought bought buying some stuff from them.

Semper fi brother

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
These mil-spec trailer chassis look like just the ticket to underpin an older small pop-up tent trailer.

SamM

Adventurer
Just posting this to help you visualize what your next move might be. I purchased a 48" receiver hitch from eTrailer.com to extend the tow bar on my Schutt LTT. After installing it and getting the trailer back on it's wheels, I unbolted the hitch, cut it and redrilled the holes. When everything is finished I'll go back and weld it into place. Should be super strong and it lowered the mounting point for my Jeep hitch several inches. There is still a military style pintle on my Jeep and the trailer but with two receiver hitches I can now use whatever type of coupler I want. The trailer can also easily be locked with the chains removed to help prevent theft.

You might have noticed this in my thread. Just reposting to give you something to consider. I use a Grade 8 bolt and mount the military chains through it. A redundant system with the chains mounted in a different location, might be better. This is pretty heavy-duty though.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

FMF

Adventurer
Looks like you are off to a great start! You got the trailer I was originally looking for, I still may end up building one out later on. I am looking forward to seeing what you think of the axle swap.

hsestes

Henry S Estes
Last night we got the Timbren Axles mounted. A steel structure was made to drop the the axles to the correct height and are bolted to the aluminum frame. The Timbren axles are bolted and welded to the steel as well. What these pictures don't show is the 2" steel bar that runs between each axle. I will post more pics to show that, and get some measurements once the wheels are attached to give everyone an idea of the ground clearance. I am waiting on wheel spacers that should arrive today.

2016-08-11 18.24.23.jpg 2016-08-11 19.40.16.jpg 2016-08-11 19.40.26.jpg 2016-08-11 19.40.01.jpg

hsestes

Henry S Estes
Are you planning on bracing those lowering blocks laterally?

We have a 2" steel cross bar that was not installed when those pics were taken. You can see some of it in the pic below, and I will take some more to show the entire bar.

2016-08-13 12.12.03_edit.jpg

hsestes

Henry S Estes
Today we got the toe set on the axles spindles, installed the wheel spacers on and got the wheels bolted up! Very happy with the stance on the trailer.

2016-08-13 10.03.32_crop.jpg 2016-08-13 12.34.47.jpg 2016-08-13 12.11.48.jpg 2016-08-13 12.11.42.jpg 2016-08-13 12.12.03.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
We have a 2" steel cross bar that was not installed when those pics were taken. You can see some of it in the pic below, and I will take some more to show the entire bar.

Okay. I was looking at the size of those boxes and as they were in the first pic I had concerns about their lateral stability. Are you going to close the ends of those boxes? That'd beef them up quite a bit more.

hsestes

Henry S Estes
Okay. I was looking at the size of those boxes and as they were in the first pic I had concerns about their lateral stability. Are you going to close the ends of those boxes? That'd beef them up quite a bit more.

We may indeed. I would not want to fully enclose them as I don't want them catching water, mud, and rocks and rusting out from the inside. At least this way I can keep and eye and hit with primer/paint occasionally...

Eventually we will dress that area up, as I think my fresh water tank will be installed between the axle cross bar and the floor of the trailer.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
We may indeed. I would not want to fully enclose them as I don't want them catching water, mud, and rocks and rusting out from the inside. At least this way I can keep and eye and hit with primer/paint occasionally...

Eventually we will dress that area up, as I think my fresh water tank will be installed between the axle cross bar and the floor of the trailer.

Thanks for the "tech explanations". It's nice to other other's thoughts on constructions processes. Nice project!

Are you planning on extending the tongue framework?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk