Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

ColoDisco

Explorer
Are the V6 brakes smaller? If so you would be compromising brake safety on a heavier vehicle. Just food for thought.

Ray_G

Explorer
Are the V6 brakes smaller? If so you would be compromising brake safety on a heavier vehicle. Just food for thought.

They are slightly smaller but bear in mind the relative weight of a V6 (or a TDV6 for that matter) and a V8 is just that...very relative. Good pads and a healthy brake system will likely be more than adequate if someone went down to V6 brakes.

morrisdl

Adventurer
They are slightly smaller but bear in mind the relative weight of a V6 (or a TDV6 for that matter) and a V8 is just that...very relative. Good pads and a healthy brake system will likely be more than adequate if someone went down to V6 brakes.

2007 LR3 V6 - curb weight 5,787 lbs
2007 Lr3 V8 - curb weight 5,796 lbs

If I was still into towing a boat or camper, I would stay with V8 breaks but its NOT a safety issue.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I feel the 18's are plenty adequate for off-road use. Not sure the cost relation would be worth it in the end, but happy to see the end result.

A.J.M

Explorer
The tdv6 and v8 use the same brake pads.
It's only the brake disc that's a bit bigger between the models.

I changed my rear discs to the v8 ones, fitted the v8 carriers and the larger disc.

A tdv6 can be remapped to 240-250bhp and give near v8 performance.

Fit good performance pads and decent discs and you will be fine.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
The reason you see 17" on Disco 3 overseas is because they come with a TDV6 for EuroSpec. Any NAS Disco 3 has a V8 and larger rotors and calipers in the front so they will not fit without modification. It is true that you might be able to stuff one on with a spacer but it will be tight and cause interference in other areas.

I spoke to the guy who makes the steel wheels for the Discovery-Parts.de Disco 3 because they advertised 17" with no modification and after clarification, he confirmed they will NOT fit on an NAS Disco 3 without modification. From the looks of MUDTECH, that is the same situation as they are advertising for EUROSPEC Discos. The same goes for the Disco 4 with the wonderful diesel we do not get; but with that said, I do not think any mods are required to put 18" on an LR4 with the right wheel. The problem is no chance of 17" on LR4 without serious modification and only 2-3 poeple overseas make 17" steel wheels for Disco3. Aluminum is too thick to get the tolerance inner wheel diameter to clear any LR specific rotor/caliper combo in 17".

I have a 17" steel wheel in my garage right now that I am starting the fit test on and I will report up when I pass or fail..hahaha

Not to hijack the thread, check mine page out for details and back to Lucky's topics.

You are mistaken my friend.
I have exchanged many E mails with Diego from Mudtech and unless you have big Brembo brakes kit , their 17 will fit Lr3 without any mods.

You are mistaken my friend.
I have exchanged many E mails with Diego from Mudtech and unless you have big Brembo brakes kit , their 17 will fit Lr3 without any mods.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am all about being wrong on this subject because if you are right, I'll be ordering a set from them. 17" wheels are worth the cost for me due to the endless possibibilities and cost savings of a 17" tire. No chance I am spending the price of 5 x Compomotives 18" wheels when I have factory 18" already.

How do we know if we have the big Brembos? I have a bone stock 08 LR3 SE so I am assuming I do not have the Brembos but how am I sure of this?

Thanks in advance!

Clearly this thread is worthless without someone bravely dropping the $$$ to show us all!

I already have dropped the money on one steel wheel for fitting shipped in from Germany. I'm willing to do the same for the Mud tech wheel if I get confirmation back from them on which wheel, required mods if any and how long it will take them to get me one in Hawaii.

I just had ankle surgery a few days ago so as soon as I'm mobile I'm starting the fitting of the steel 17" wheel on my LR3.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Clearly this thread is worthless without someone bravely dropping the $$$ to show us all!

Ha !
Last time I have received an invoice from Mudtech regarding 17 inch alloy Racer wheels, they were almost 1200, for 5 and shipping exceeded 800, so for me ,being at almost 200 000 miles with my LR3, dropping the $$$ is still questionable endeavor . I have bought Prospeed rook rack with many accessories, Anitas , need to buy new set of 5 Cooper STT Maxx tires for VOR next month,also going to Poland for three weeks to travel and visit my family, so experimenting with additional toys for my truck is not an option this year at least.Cheers

Last edited:
Ha !
Last time I have received an invoice from Mudtech regarding 17 inch alloy Racer wheels, they were almost 1200, for 5 and shipping exceeded 800, so for me ,being at almost 200 000 miles with my LR3, dropping the $$$ is still questionable endeavor .Cheers

Yeah with a quote like that, no thanks. Haha. I'll stick to the 17" steels I won't mind banging off the occasional lava rock.

Much cheaper all around.

A.J.M

Explorer
Oh don't get me wrong, I am all about being wrong on this subject because if you are right, I'll be ordering a set from them. 17" wheels are worth the cost for me due to the endless possibibilities and cost savings of a 17" tire. No chance I am spending the price of 5 x Compomotives 18" wheels when I have factory 18" already.

How do we know if we have the big Brembos? I have a bone stock 08 LR3 SE so I am assuming I do not have the Brembos but how am I sure of this?

Thanks in advance!

This is a Brembo calliper, as fitted to my car. They were from a Supercharged RRS that someone ran out of talent in and binned it... haha.
NO D3/LR3 has them from the factory.
15F590F7-434C-46F4-8021-6BB1DFF06EED_zpsjf80lqre.jpg

Why don't you get a set of the 17 inch factory alloys we have in the UK?
£125 will get a set of 5. Then ship them out along with the tdv6 carriers and discs.

Sorted.

This is a Brembo calliper, as fitted to my car. They were from a Supercharged RRS that someone ran out of talent in and binned it... haha.
NO D3/LR3 has them from the factory.
15F590F7-434C-46F4-8021-6BB1DFF06EED_zpsjf80lqre.jpg

Why don't you get a set of the 17 inch factory alloys we have in the UK?
£125 will get a set of 5. Then ship them out along with the tdv6 carriers and discs.

Sorted.

Never really thought of the 17" alloy TDV6 wheels. I guess I just figured I was going for durability of the steel wheel for the trail specific tire set up. I plan to daily drive my 18" factory wheels and when j head up in the mountains on the long weekends do the swap to mud tire on 17" set up wheels/tires.

I'll have to check shipping on the 17" wheel and where I can get them.

Thanks for the idea.

Ray_G

Explorer
Never really thought of the 17" alloy TDV6 wheels. I guess I just figured I was going for durability of the steel wheel for the trail specific tire set up. I plan to daily drive my 18" factory wheels and when j head up in the mountains on the long weekends do the swap to mud tire on 17" set up wheels/tires.

I'll have to check shipping on the 17" wheel and where I can get them.

Thanks for the idea.

So for the sake of discussion...
...and by all means don't take this as me sniping, my previous comment was totally in jest and you have to remember I'm the fool waiting for my truck to clear customs to eventually figure out if my FR aux fuel tank will fit so we're all in this together here...

Finding 17 steelies for an LR3 is really going to be stretch in terms of the economy of it all once it's said and done; mind you I used to be one of those guys who was like "anybody actually know someone to crack an alloy?"
Then I cracked one at the '13 VOT

So I'm all about durability and such, but I still run alloys on my D1 (16's of course) because they are lighter, easier to balance, etc.

I just fear your pursuit will get you to expend a lot of resources to find it would have been just as worthwhile to get a second set of 18's to put offroad tires on and beat up as you see fit, or even find a set of cheap 19's to run street tires on and use the 18's you have for that purpose.

Now I'll return to lurking and shut up till my baby is ready for pickup and I can update my own threads and such!
r-
Ray

PS, cracked alloys make great fire pits!
IMG_0334.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven