M-416 Build

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I was using some LED tap lights in the shelving unit I built and decided to replace them with some 3-light LED's I got from Massif LED. These little lights are pretty impressive. The only drawback is they dont have a way to mount them with any hardware. They come with a strong adhesive tape so I decided to make my own mounting plates, put the lights on them using the adhesive tape, and fasten them with screws. I had a hot wire already running from the switch panel on the tongue box to the shelving unit. So this made the wiring allot easier. Here are some pics.

P1040253.jpg

P1040241.jpg

P1040244.jpg

P1040242.jpg

Last edited:

socaljeeper

Adventurer
That looks pretty cool Patrick!

Thanks for the compliments. Nathan, it looks llike you have a great trailer to build off of. I am sure it will benefit you to have all that extra space to hit the trails with. Looking forward to seeing it sometime.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Rack Slide

Finally got around to putting a slide on the rack. I was able to get a pair of heavy duty slides. Bolted the slides by modifying the existing brackets slightly. I think I am going to enjoy having this slide because it will provide easy access to the rack, which was difficult before. I was also able to gain 4-5 inches of additional clearance for loading large objects.

P1040568.jpg

P1040572.jpg

P1040569.jpg

pyrate

Rollin' along
Pretty sweet setup and a lot of talented work planning all of that out. :drool:

Good to see you changed the hinged down sides w/ the chains. You were worried about paint and those chains will beat paint off things faster than you can think about it. :)

Do you find w/ the length of the tongue that you have any trouble going over obstacles? Seems the longer it gets the easier to have it hang up somewhere. I'm considering something similar to make it long enough to load my motorcycle on it at times and wondered about how long is too you can get it before you start having problems.

Thanks.

grimbo

Explorer
awesome trailer setup. Certainly loving the US style of camping trailers, little different to the ones we have down under.

I'm in the process of putting togther a butterfly door style trailer for our camping trips.

Anyway onto the couple of questions. How has the Line X stood up to the trail use, any dramas with chipping etc? Would you still recommend it or in hind sight maybe change it?

With the gas can and propoane bottle mounts are you guys welding or bolting them to the trailers?

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Anyway onto the couple of questions. How has the Line X stood up to the trail use, any dramas with chipping etc? Would you still recommend it or in hind sight maybe change it?

With the gas can and propoane bottle mounts are you guys welding or bolting them to the trailers?

So far the Line-X has been holding up fine. One of my concerns when putting it on the outside is the expense of getting it re-lined if it did sustain any damage. Luckily, this has not happened yet. One thing I have noticed after a few trip is the discoloration due to dirt and mud. The liner gets stained and it is hard to completely remove. Next time, I think I would use paint/powder coating on the outside and keep the Line-x for the fenders and the inside of the tub. I also put line-x on the lid of the tongue box, which is nice to avoid scratches.

The propane and gas can mounts are bolted on my trailer.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Thanks. I have been thinking about ways to enclose the rack and turn it into an organized storage space for tools and camping supplies. Having it on the slide makes it really simple to access.

My solar panel is on slides in a similar way but I like the idea of doing it for cargo storage. Very nice!

socaljeeper

Adventurer
It does ok with the rubber gasket around the perimeter, but a little water still get in. I plan redoing it by making it out of metal instead of wood and making the fold down portion fold to the inside of the cabinet instead of flush with the outside. This will eliminate having a gap at the top where water can get in.

looks great man. how does the wood galley hold up to rain?
lots of good ideas in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77