M416 trailer build my brother and I

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
perhaps i missed it, but do you have a handbrake still on the trailer?

very nice! i hope that when i start my build, it will turn out close to this. just saw the pictures.

No we removed the handbrake and replaced the axle with a 3500 pound axle. I have chalk blocks for it now or I can just use a log or rock if I'm in a bind and I need it.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Well as Mark said in an earlier post it's never finished. After playing around with the trailer the ideas are rolling around in my head now and my brother's head. I said that I was not going to put a RTT on the trailer but I have changed my mind on that I should have it in a few days. So my issue now is if I have a tent and mount it on the basket, then the basket is useless, plus I don't have anywhere to put the kayaks. We are going to rework the top with the basket. Here is a few limitations or consideration though, first is I want it to be able to get into my garage (height restriction), second I want to be able to carry two kayaks and third is the tent has to be able to mount and be functional.

3d fj

Observer
Did you use the entire 48" length of receiver tube? In the pictures, it looks like it was welded to the first crossmember on the frame... is this correct? How does it tow? Are there any positives/negatives to extending the tongue a particular length? When you were welding the receiver tube into place, were there any tricks or tips that you used to make sure everything was straight and level? I am planning on converting my lunette setup to a receiver setup and using a max coupler.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Did you use the entire 48" length of receiver tube? In the pictures, it looks like it was welded to the first crossmember on the frame... is this correct? How does it tow? Are there any positives/negatives to extending the tongue a particular length? When you were welding the receiver tube into place, were there any tricks or tips that you used to make sure everything was straight and level? I am planning on converting my lunette setup to a receiver setup and using a max coupler.

We did used the entire 48" receiver and it was welded to the first cross member on the frame. It tows perfect, I've had it up to 70 mph around here and my brother had it up to 80 mph bringing it back here with no issues. The trailr tracks great, no bouncing and you can barely see it in either mirror when towing. As far as positives / negatives to the length, my tongue length was dictated by the need to be able to carry 12 ft kayaks on top of the trailer and not have issues with clearance in the front. I'm using a max coupler on mine also. I'll let my brother comment about any tricks or tips to getting the tongue straight and level since he took care of that part of it. Hope this helps you out.
T109.jpg
It's a cell phone shot but it makes the point of the clearance that I need.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
We did used the entire 48" receiver and it was welded to the first cross member on the frame. It tows perfect, I've had it up to 70 mph around here and my brother had it up to 80 mph bringing it back here with no issues. The trailr tracks great, no bouncing and you can barely see it in either mirror when towing. As far as positives / negatives to the length, my tongue length was dictated by the need to be able to carry 12 ft kayaks on top of the trailer and not have issues with clearance in the front. I'm using a max coupler on mine also. I'll let my brother comment about any tricks or tips to getting the tongue straight and level since he took care of that part of it. Hope this helps you out.
View attachment 159475
It's a cell phone shot but it makes the point of the clearance that I need.

Yeah I'm still contemplating how I'll get my 15 foot kayak mounted over my tent... or if I'll just suck it up and put in on the roof. Would love to get it off the roof and onto the trailer.

sroth

Fabricator
We completely removed the original hitch assembly. The 48" square tube was welded to the underside of the first cross-member then cross strapped under in two spots and over in three spots. As far as the alignment goes just measure from the front corners to the very end of the tube, ensure both measurements are the same. Also when you install the axel measure to the same point on the tube back to a known point on the axel, both side should again be the same. I've pulled these type trailers in the military but this trailer tracks way better.

Ken Miracle

I'll second the request for hand brake Assy. My m416 came without one. The PO removed everyhing. I'm looking for a replacement. Anybody out there that might have one that you would like to sell. Please let me know.

Thanks, Ken
MiracleAvn@aol.com

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Supervising the progress and an important addition to the trailer.
T110.jpg
It would be a bad thing to be caught in the woods without a bottle opener, although I'm sure I could figure something out. :beer:
T111.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater