M416 trailer build my brother and I

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
The finished product, at least for now. It's in the driveway but I'm hoping to take it out later this month and try it out.
T141.jpg
T142.jpg
T143.jpg
T147.jpg
Here's the jeep and trailer together.
T151.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Let me ask this what type of battery is everyone using out there, I know you need a deep cycle. I'm looking to power some LED lights with it, later I may add solar panels to recharge it.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Yeah, a deep cycle is what you want. They are designed to discharge a lot deeper than a standard starting battery without damage, and to go from discharged to charged for many cycles. That would kill a starting battery fast. I used a group 24 Deep Cycle from Interstate as I had it available to me. It is a good size and should power all the stuff I am using, which is a water pump and a few small LED's.

Sorry to hijack your thread... AWESOME trailer build boys, those cold beers were well deserved.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
You may have answereed this but what year and model was your tail gate ment for?
I bought it on amazon, it's for a 1976-1983 Jeep CJ5 (Omix-ADA DMC-685459). We cut the top roll off and replaced it with a larger rounded pipe to match the top of the trailer. Also there is two holes in the bottom to fit the hinges that we welded closed.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Can you tell me about the finally version of the rack? Maybe I just missed it in the thread, but what did you do so you can adjust upward.

If you look closely at the pictures, the pipe on top slides into the bottom pipe, we drilled holes through the outside pipe in two places. The rack stays in the down position until I need the room. Then to adjust the height I just slide the rack up and put pins through the outside pipe in one of the two holes. We did not drill holes in the inside pipe because it would be too hard to line up the holes and just a hassle. When you put the pin through the hole on the outside pipe the inside pipe will rest on the top of the pin.

ChuckH55

Thanks, I see that now... you would need two people I would imagine to lift it with the weight of the tent on it. I think that might work for me.

3d fj

Observer
I was wondering... I don't know if it's possible, it might make your life a little easier, but.. can those sidewind trailer jacks be installed at the corners or maybe in the middle somehow? It could make lifting the tent up a bit easier as well as give you the ability to make fine adjustments for leveling the tent. It kinda sucks sleeping in the RTT while it's not level. Especially if you're sleeping at the lower end and there are people sleeping uphill. Trust me. I know!

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Thanks, I see that now... you would need two people I would imagine to lift it with the weight of the tent on it. I think that might work for me.

It does take two people to lift the rack up and you have to lift it at the same time or it will jam up. It's really not that bad though.

I was wondering... I don't know if it's possible, it might make your life a little easier, but.. can those sidewind trailer jacks be installed at the corners or maybe in the middle somehow? It could make lifting the tent up a bit easier as well as give you the ability to make fine adjustments for leveling the tent. It kinda sucks sleeping in the RTT while it's not level. Especially if you're sleeping at the lower end and there are people sleeping uphill. Trust me. I know!

As far as leveling, the tent has to go up evenly so that means that if I want it level I have to level the trailer. As long as I'm level from side to side I can level the front and back with the tongue jack and the rear support. I will only move the rack up if I need the room.

3d fj

Observer
I looked at almost all the pics in your thread again. I was wondering a few things that maybe you could shed some light on...

1. Where did you get your tongue jack from?
2. Do you know approximately the entire length of the jack from top to bottom? (It looks like the one from e-trailer that i'm considering about 21-22" total length)
3. I couldn't see it in any of the pics, but when you are towing the trailer, are you removing the jack or are you just flipping it up?
4. If you are flipping up the jack, does it hit the tongue box?

I am at the point where i'm deciding on the length of my tongue, the jack size and the box I am going to put on it. Man... I hope mine comes out as nice as yours.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
I looked at almost all the pics in your thread again. I was wondering a few things that maybe you could shed some light on...

1. Where did you get your tongue jack from?
2. Do you know approximately the entire length of the jack from top to bottom? (It looks like the one from e-trailer that i'm considering about 21-22" total length)
3. I couldn't see it in any of the pics, but when you are towing the trailer, are you removing the jack or are you just flipping it up?
4. If you are flipping up the jack, does it hit the tongue box?

I am at the point where i'm deciding on the length of my tongue, the jack size and the box I am going to put on it. Man... I hope mine comes out as nice as yours.

The tongue jack is from amazon (Curt Trailer MFG. 5000 - lb. Pipe Swivel Mount 15" Travel).
The length of the jack closed is 22" total.
I do remove the jack while towing the trailer, it folds up but it will hit the tongue box. We could have made it work but it was just easier to pull the pin and take it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scolpax