My 2016 frontier build and adventure thread!

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys! Thanks everyone for all your input. You were right. I was just being paranoid about the light engine clatter. Just got the truck back from the dealer and they gave it a clean bill of health. Yay. Even let me start up and drive another new frontier that was on the lot to prove that these engines just have some "character". To keep the great news going, my weather tech floor mats also arrived today. So put those in when I got home. Love these things already. I have seen tons of pictures of them, but I'm still blown away by how nicely they fit. Nothing major I know, but these are the types of mods I like. Stuff that gets used daily and are actually justified. Plus I think the black mats really help break up all the grey on the interior.

I have a little shake down run this weekend out to the family farm. Then a bunch of camping and a big trip to Canada at the end of July to plan for. I'm hoping to get my platform and a few other little things done before Canada.

Sent from my iPhone

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
This last weekend I went out to the family farm in Akron Colorado. Saturday we went into town to see the annual classic car show. Pretty good turn out and great cars for such a little town.

Like every year we entered my grandpas '51 international.

Although I'm biased and think the international is the coolest classic tuck ever, there were some other great cars.

And like any great farm town car show there were some great tractors.

There was even an oreion motors reeper, which my pops fell in love with.

After the show we went to the farm which is about 45 minutes out of town. Did a little shooting and exploring. Lots of neat structures and scenery. They have been getting so much moisture out there, I have never seen it so green. The wheat harvest this year is going to be great provided they don't get any hail before they harvest.

It was such an amazing night we decided to have some cigars and camp out in the pasture. Was able to try out our new sleeping pads and bags. Both were great.

All and all it was an amazing trip. Truck handled great.

kylevd23

Observer
On the engine rattle, I had that on my g35 and 07 pathfinder on cold startups as well, very normal, I did switch to 10w-30 non synthetic and that helped it out quite a bit

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey everyone. Hope you are all having a wonderful 4th!! Unfortunately we did not do any trips this weekend but we are going for a long weekend to maroon bells next weekend. So to prepare for the trip I worked a bit more on my platform. Let me start by saying I'm absolutely no carpenter so I knew this was going to be rough and no where near as nice as a lot of the set-ups I see on this forum. My goal was to create something that was easy to build and remove but gave me options for loading up the bed where I would not have to unload the whole bed to get to something on the bottom. It's no where near done and I'm sure I will have to make some changes as I figure out what works and what does not. But for now I think it will be useful. Eventually I will build an extension that goes out over the tailgate so we can sleep on it.

Still trying to figure out the best way to anchor the middle section. It needs to be able to be removed easily but secure when down. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!!

Sent from my iPhone

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys, the wife and I did a little backyard adventure this weekend up to the Maroon Bells area. It was an amazing trip, and I highly recommend it to anyone that has never been. It is absolutely beautiful!
To start the trip off on a good note I decided to get myself and the Fronty some new gear from my buddies company Coloradical.
New hat

New sticker

New patch

After successfully establishing the good mojo for the trip ahead, I loaded up the truck. The new platform worked pretty well. It held everything we needed for the long weekend, with quite a bit of room to spare.

After we got all loaded up we got some good night sleep and headed out around 6 Friday morning. The drive was absolutely amazing. We took I70 to the scenic byway.

First stop was at the continental divide.

We then continued on into the Aspen area. Unfortunately the first place we discovered for setting up camp was closed to ground tents because of bears in the area. So we continued driving and found a great space near the lost man trailhead.

Cont.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Part 2

Couple more pics of the camp site.

Camp was set, time to relax.

The next day we got up early and headed out to Maroon Bells. Neither the wife or I have ever been here even though we have lived in Colorado our whole lives. It is absolutely amazing even though there are people everywhere.

We then started up the trail to Crater Lake to get away from some of the people.

Sent from my iPhone

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
After finishing up at Maroon Bells we headed back to camp for some food beer and R&R.

We slept very well that night. The next morning we slept in and relaxed for awhile. Then packed up camp and started the drive home. We made a stop at the Independence Town Site.

This little guy followed us around for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!

We then stopped in Leadville for some brunch at a great little place called Wilde's Green Hour. Really cool place if you guys are in the area.

After the meal we blasted back home. It was a great trip and a very good shake down run for the Fronty before we head to Canada at the end of July. I love seeing more and more of this beautiful state that I call home. This was just another tick on the bucket list. Thanks for checking in!!

Sent from my iPhone

JakeH

Adventurer
Leadville is pretty awesome, even that creepy little antique shop across from the bar. Twin lakes was great too, but our spare time is spent above silverthorne these days in blue river highlands. Same solitary feel, closer groceries & skiing! Have you made it to the hot sulfur springs in kremmling yet? It is awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob