My Conqueror and Rig!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Been working on wiring up the four Matador work lights that I mounted on the four corners. I also found out why my fridge plug and rear light were not working ... disconnected wire behind the electric box.

I took one of the clip mount florescent lights and mounted it with commercial velcro above the wolf box storage area and hard wired it.

I am mounting two 12V standard cig size marine grade plugs on each side of the tent mattress (roof of the trailer). Then I can charge and use my laptop with the 12V plug i have for it. Each side of the bed will also have one (each) nifty gooseneck hella map lights for reading. Pretty stoked about that.

I will get pics up when I am done.

D

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Ok, so here is a little glimpse of my handy work.

Trailer builds come from use, experience, and brainstorming.
Some ideas are good ... some not.

So far, I have been pleased with the decisions.

We were wanting to be able to read, or use the lap top (I have a handy 12V charge plug for my apple powerbook!) when laying in the bed at night, so I added two 12V marine grade plugs to each side of the upper bed area. To those, I added Hella map lights (each has a switch on top) that come mounted to goose necks.

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

Here you see the wiring I did when I added the hella mini plugs to plug in the outside matador work lights (one on each side— front and rear) It lights up the area like fort knox!!

IMG_8402.jpg

I took one of the clip mount florescent lights and removed the clips and used industrial velcro to mount it and hard wired it above the wolf boxes.

IMG_8401.jpg
IMG_8401.jpg

And last, one design flaw (in my opinion) was where the drop down room lay against the side of the trailer, there were lots of gaps (bugs! cold air! etc.) I used industrial snaps and placed them where they would keep the tent close to the trailer.

IMG_8403.jpg

Ready for the next adventure!!!

Thanks for looking.

Dendy

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Nice, Dendy.
I'll have to look at those snaps closer. That area certainly was ill-conceived.

I made an awning pole system for the tent flap over the kitchen like we talked about; works great and only cost me $14. I'll take pics this weekend.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks Bill:
Where did you find a pole that fit through the seam at the base of that window flap?
D
1/2" emt that was already laying in my garage. I cut it to length and drilled a hole through at each end. Went to WallyWorld and got 7'10" telescoping poles for $6.88 each.
Bam; awning.

On the last trip (Biblical rain event in SC), I had to ghetto-rig the awning to mitigate drips and facilitate drying. I experimented with various ways of holding the window open with ropes, poles, & bungie cords. The ropes bowed in the middle and created a runnel of water; the pole idea worked the best.
Now I'm looking for a dowel or something that will fit snugly inside so that I can cut the pole in half for transporting; it's too long to fit inside the trailer easily and I have it velcro'd outside.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I had the great honor of camping this past week with Dale Knepp (Rovertrader) and his terrific family. We camped in Balsam NC at a beautiful camp ground, Moonshine Creek Campground.
While it was pushing the upper 90's in Nashville, it was chilly at night and very mild and comfortable where we were staying.
Thought I would share some images:

Here we were traveling down I-40

DefenderRestStop.jpg

Here is the front of the camp:

CampFront.jpg

The Kitchen Set Up:

KitchenExpanded.jpg

Kitchen Close Up:

KitchenOpen1.jpg

A Walk Around, had the Outback set up because with two children, it only made sense NOT to try to get to the bath house in an emergency potty need:

JarrettCamp1.jpg

In this image, you can see where we set up a "bug break" to keep bugs out of the inside of the tent:

JarrettCamp2.jpg

View Back towards the Outback Outhouse:

KitchenView2.jpg

And a look towards the tent entrance:

Outback-Bugbreak.jpg

Here is a view back to Dale's family's camp:

Viewof130Camp.jpg

Again, it was a great time and we hated for it to end.
Thanks for the good times, Dale!

Dendy

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Also, I added a few graphics to the trailer that I thought you guys might enjoy:

One of the great sayings of Land Rover Enthusiasts is One Life. Live It. I had to use it -

OLLI-1.jpg

And Close up:

OLLI-2.jpg

I also had some decals made for the trailer and the truck that state: First Aid Kit On Board.

FirstAidOnBoard.jpg

Enjoy.
Thanks,
Dendy

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Three questions...

Great pictures, but first I have to say I love both your trucks!

1. Can you show me a detail of how you attached the dish drain to the fuel can holder?

2. The screen, is that the piece you ordered from Africa?

3. Did you find the tarp helped with keeping the tent cooler? I have been thinking about these, it seems like it would limit air circulation. I also read on another forum where bugs collected under an awning of a guys pop up, was wondering if the tarp would also "collect" bugs.

ps - I used mine in the rain a couple of weeks ago, no extra pole in my kit.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Dendy- thanks for the kind words!! We in fact were treated to a most relaxing long w/e w/ wonderful friends.
And Bill, we arrived on Dendy's day 2, thus 'allowing' him to help Renee' and I deploy the big tarp. And left a day ahead, again gaining Dendy experience in the tear down and packing :wings:
More pics to follow....

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
And Bill, we arrived on Dendy's day 2, thus 'allowing' him to help Renee' and I deploy the big tarp. And left a day ahead, again gaining Dendy experience in the tear down and packing :wings:
Clever devil....

Great pictures, but first I have to say I love both your trucks!
sssshhhhhhhh; it will go to their heads and they'll insist that you address them "m'lord" or something...

3. Did you find the tarp helped with keeping the tent cooler? I have been thinking about these, it seems like it would limit air circulation. I also read on another forum where bugs collected under an awning of a guys pop up, was wondering if the tarp would also "collect" bugs.
From a Compact perspective with the lighter-weight tarp:
Rollem'up bugs and other wet-loving beasts get between the tarps if it's a very moist day. Last trip we burned a couple of the Off brand stinky stick things and the skeeters were mitigated pretty well.
On a very sunny day our tarp provides shade --- but it's much more beneficial if the humidity is low. It didn't impede airflow noticeably.

Myakka River State Park (top of Everglades) trip:
100_1745.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

Thanks Bill. I will be sleeping in my trailer for 18 nights in the next 3.5 weeks or so... so that is very helpful info!

If I had either of those trucks, I would at least get my wife to address me by m'lord ; )

I agree on your post on teh swing away front wheel. I have already bent mine on trails, it drops VERY low on ditches.

Thanks again Dendy for sharing the pictures!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey, Jay:

I deployed and tore down my large tarp by myself. Can't say that it was terrible, but it was my first time, so ... slow.
My tarp has canvas on one side, and a rubberized membrane on the other. It didn't "slide" well over the rubber roof of the tent, so that was the toughest part.
The biggest challenge was that I was shorted one of my poles. I improvised with a tree as a tie off point.

As far as bugs, the biggest accumulation of bugs (where we were) was grand-daddy long legs. I brushed some 50 or so off as I rolled up the tarp.

We were benefitting from the cool mountain air. We were at an altitude of over 3200 feet. It was cool and crisp at night and mild during the day. I believe that the tarp helped keep the tent a tad cooler. For sure, it helped when it rained on day 1 in the evening. Kept the entire tent area hight and dry.

Thanks for the kind words!

Dendy

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Can I ask how deep are the fold down doors on the side where you guys have your kitchens? I see you're using them as counters. I had planned on doing that, but at 30", they're too deep and it would be hard to reach items in the cabinets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven