My Conqueror and Rig!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Same Here. You can reach the items that are in the fold out where the plates, etc. store, but to reach inside the belly of the trailer is a stretch. My future plans include a modular kitchen unit on that side, that will allow for the stove to slide out, and a couple of storage drawers, but could be removed if the need for more belly storage presents itself.

My wife is short, so I have to prep items for her if I am away from camp.

D

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok, that's what I feared. Once I mounted the door and saw the reality, I decided the door will probably just flip right down, and I'll have to build a countertop into the space. I'll lose some volume, but should be ok. I was thinking of having wires that I could prop it up if I wanted, to use as a table when needed.

Thanks.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
See response in Red.
D
Great pictures, but first I have to say I love both your trucks!

1. Can you show me a detail of how you attached the dish drain to the fuel can holder?
I flattened the top "arms ... if you will" as they were designed to use with the newer jerry can mount. I drilled two holes (one in each arm) and two holes in the top aluminum step on top of the Jcan holder. I used two bolts with lock washers and thumb screws. Worked great.
2. The screen, is that the piece you ordered from Africa?
Yes, that is the screen version. Eventually, I would like to order the one that sports a zip door, and to the screen all the way around (for places like Alaska ... mosquitoes!) But that will have to come with time. I have to say ... I don't know where Mega got this velcro they use, but the stuff is like a weld hold!
3. Did you find the tarp helped with keeping the tent cooler? I have been thinking about these, it seems like it would limit air circulation. I also read on another forum where bugs collected under an awning of a guys pop up, was wondering if the tarp would also "collect" bugs.
I think I answered most of this above. If we had stayed for one or two nights, ... for sure the investment of time would not have been worth the big awning, but to keep the tent dry in rainy situations, and to allow you to move around in the shade all day ... it was well worth the effort.
D

ps - I used mine in the rain a couple of weeks ago, no extra pole in my kit.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Where did you get the pads or grip for the step sides?

IMG_7998.jpg

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
That "diamond tread" rubber is a self adhesive backed that comes in these narrow "step" size pieces ... or in 1X1 squares. I got this at Northern Tool, but believe I have seen it at Harbor Freight.

I will get back to you on the internal material. The company was on rough times a few weeks back, and they asked me not to give out the info until they got stable legs again.
I will call the guy again this week and wee how things are going.

Thanks
Dendy

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That "diamond tread" rubber is a self adhesive backed that comes in these narrow "step" size pieces ... or in 1X1 squares. I got this at Northern Tool, but believe I have seen it at Harbor Freight.
Thanks
Dendy
Ha! I didn't see that you had added this too.
I got mine at Walmart by the trailer materials. $6.98 for two lengths. Works great and I even used some for backing for the axe's head.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I got mine at Walmart by the trailer materials. $6.98 for two lengths. Works great and I even used some for backing for the axe's head.

Backing where the axe rests against the trailer or actually on the axe?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Backing where the axe rests against the trailer or actually on the axe?
I bought a real splitting axe, took off the flippy-latch-holdie-thing, and mounted two Quick-Fist holders. I put the rubber tread over the stainless pad that was up there and the axe head nests in it better ---- the splitting axe head is wedge-shaped like the skull of many Cretaceous dinosaurs and didn't want to lay flat.

XJBANKER

Explorer

Do you have a picture of your tread installed? I bought two lengths at walmart today, but think that I should have got one more pack. They are $7.98 for two here.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Do you have a picture of your tread installed? I bought two lengths at walmart today, but think that I should have got one more pack. They are $7.98 for two here.
I bought two packs to cover the wheel-wells so that they would be symmetrical. I used the trimmed pieces for the axe backing.

I'll try to remember to snap a picture later. I hate to take pics of it in the garage --- it's like a cheetah in a cage; it just looks wrong.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I bought two packs to cover the wheel-wells so that they would be symmetrical. I used the trimmed pieces for the axe backing.

I'll try to remember to snap a picture later. I hate to take pics of it in the garage --- it's like a cheetah in a cage; it just looks wrong.

I bought another set of the tread and got it on Saturday. It sure is a lot nicer walking up there with something for my shoes to grip too.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Ok, so here is a little glimpse of my handy work.

Trailer builds come from use, experience, and brainstorming.
Some ideas are good ... some not.

So far, I have been pleased with the decisions.

We were wanting to be able to read, or use the lap top (I have a handy 12V charge plug for my apple powerbook!) when laying in the bed at night, so I added two 12V marine grade plugs to each side of the upper bed area. To those, I added Hella map lights (each has a switch on top) that come mounted to goose necks.

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

Here you see the wiring I did when I added the hella mini plugs to plug in the outside matador work lights (one on each side— front and rear) It lights up the area like fort knox!!

IMG_8402.jpg

I took one of the clip mount florescent lights and removed the clips and used industrial velcro to mount it and hard wired it above the wolf boxes.

IMG_8401.jpg
IMG_8401.jpg

And last, one design flaw (in my opinion) was where the drop down room lay against the side of the trailer, there were lots of gaps (bugs! cold air! etc.) I used industrial snaps and placed them where they would keep the tent close to the trailer.

IMG_8403.jpg

Ready for the next adventure!!!

Thanks for looking.

Dendy

Where did you get these snaps and is there a down fall to having them on the exterior of the trailer all of the time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner