My Conqueror and Rig!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I believe they are stainless and of course I riveted them in with aluminum rivets.
So, no downfalls. They came from a place here in Nashville Called Hobby Lobby.
The install device is a POS.

Basically, I winged the install.

Dendy

XJBANKER

Explorer
I believe they are stainless and of course I riveted them in with aluminum rivets.
So, no downfalls. They came from a place here in Nashville Called Hobby Lobby.
The install device is a POS.

Basically, I winged the install.

Dendy

We have a Hobby Lobby here, maybe I will check to see if they have something like that.

Honu

lost on the mainland
marine stores have nice stainless ones :)

you can rivet them in or get screw ones

also you can get turnbuckle ones that are better under load but the turnbuckle sticks out a touch more but they are very strong

being a boat guy all my life till I moved here at least :(

boats and canvas stuff and sailing go together with our tents :)

also a sail repair kit is a nice thing to have if you want to sew canvas !!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Well, as many of you already know, ... I had an offer on my 110 that was simply more than I could walk away from. Several factors influenced my decision. 1) it would allow me to walk away from the note that was owned on the truck (a hefty monthly!), 2) would leave enough profit to get into another Land Rover cash and do just about any mod I wanted, 3) it allowed me to pay off a large amount of other debt ... including getting out from under a 2006 Range Rover note (I was upside down on the truck).

So, I sold the 110 (no stones thrown ... please). I sold the 2006 Range Rover. Shed $2000K month in payments and $85K in debt and ended up with two seriously nice (both one owner) Range Rovers.

My wife's is a 1994 white LWB with matching white wheels. It is a seriously nice, well maintained truck. Best Part. I hold the title!!

Mine is the Expedition Truck — a one owner 1989 Range Rover (purchased from a fellow Expo member(s) - thanks Matt and Dale!). First, I cannot believe how well preserved the Southern California environment can leave a truck! 2) I cannot believe how rust free and well maintained this truck is

It has 124K miles and the previous owner had done some nice things to the truck, but it was leaning more towards off-road than expedition (IMHO).

Here is the truck as it arrived to me:

3863713602_f086ccda20_bjpg.jpg

It has a RTE bumper with a Warn 9000i winch with black steelies and BFG Commercial T/A tires. The head liner was falling and there are some other minor issues with the truck (mechanically speaking- brakes, radiator needs some work, etc.) And the pitch black/purple tinted window tint had to go (never want to do that again!! Remove ... that is!)

So, I put Land Rover take off new Wolf wheels with Goodyear G90 Euro spec tires (tall/skinny). And removed the window tint:

IMG_8879.jpg

Next was a extremely hard to find INTI expedition rack from Venezuela. I found it in Florida (on a Range Rover Classic for sale) and spent the better part of two months negotiating for it). Once purchased, I used USHIP to find someone to deliver it. ( a complete bargain!!!)

Here it is with the lights that were mounted on it when it arrived:

IMG_8894.jpg

Then I changed those lights to Hella 4000's, changed the bumper to an ARB with a Warn 9000 winch and Viking Synth line, added two Land Rover Dixon Bates, front Tow Rings, and two Hella 2000's lamps on the front along with Rovers North (NLA) Limb Risers.

IMG_8908.jpg

IMG_8924.jpg

IMG_8925.jpg

Then I added Rear Lamp Guards and two Vintage Yellow Letter Mud Flaps (kinda my thing!)

IMG_8907.jpg

IMG_8900.jpg

I then had the headliner redone and worked for a great deal of time cleaning the interior (which was simply dirty from 20 years of service).

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8903.jpg

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Continued:
IMG_8905.jpg

Then I added a set of OEM Land Rover Range Rover sheepskins that I already owned:

IMG_9083.jpg

IMG_9084.jpg

And most recently, I added a Wilderness Rack spare tire mount to the top of the roof rack, and a Mantec Snorkel and mounted the High Lift on the rack:

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg

I also added an Atlantic British front Skid Plate.
Soon I will be adding a hood black out and I have an entire South Down under armor to add to the truck including a NLA Fuel Tank Skid Plate.

On the trailer, I have also been very busy: (sorry crossed post from Conqueror Mods thread as well).

I removed the hubs and had them re-drilled and new studs pressed and have mounted the exact tires and wheels I have on my new truck. (spare included), so now I run all the same:

IMG_9036.jpg

Also, I added a third LP tank to the rear as I wanted the one I use to be close to the stove side of the trailer as well as giving me extra capacity for longer stays:

IMG_9037.jpg

And Finally, I already had a flat shovel mounted, but when I sold the Defender, I had a pointed spade on the wing that the new buyer did not want. I removed it and have now mounted it on the opposite side from the High Lift mounted:

IMG_9068.jpg

High Lift Side:
IMG_9069.jpg

Getting close to being done!

Dendy

Dendy, You have been one busy Land Rovering, Conqueror Safari Trailering, son of a gun.

Nice Work. I'll look forward to seeing this thing sometime.

:victory:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Yeah, the 110 was a hard decision, ... but the right one for us.
There are some distinct advantages to the Range Rover Classic:
Comfort!! Air Conditioning that works! Heat that heats! No rain leaks! You can have a conversation with the person next to you! You can actually hear the radio and the GPS! Sun Roof! The floor doesn't become super heated when driving long distances! The Fuel Gauge is steady (doesn't bounce all over the place!) and it is more secure (locks up better).

On top of that, the shorter wheel base allows for better obstacle clearance.

Best of all ... this being a 1989, it is pre ABS and I just put EBC performance ceramic brakes on the truck (no dust, greater stopping), and the 89 doesn't suffer many of the ills that post 89 trucks do.

Those things combined with the fact that I had driven a Range Rover classic for 12 years prior to the D-90 and D-110 made this a much easier transition.

D

Honu

lost on the mainland
also like how the wheels on the trailer match the rig now :)
something I want to do in the near future to my trailer

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
also like how the wheels on the trailer match the rig now :)
something I want to do in the near future to my trailer

Yeah, not only is it visually nice, but it keeps all the wheels and tires the same ... thus keeping all the spares universal as well.

Thanks for the good words all!
D

Abel Villesca

Explorer
Classics are great! I always envy how comfortable my buddies are while I'm dusty and sweaty in the Defender. The trailer and rig look awesome! :victory:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
It is funny, however, ... when you drive a defender, ... your tolerance for things like heat or cold, or noise or wet conditions grows exponentially.

I had almost forgotten what comfort is all about. BTW, I saw your first outing pics with your AT and what a nice rig. Love the pics with the moon in the distance!

Dendy

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Couple more mods

One of our fellow Conqueror owners was having his jerry can holders completely armored because he carries fuel in the holders.
I carry only water in the holders, so I asked him if I could have his two top step tread plates when he took them off.

I installed them yesterday in a quick mod. These simply will keep stones from damaging or puncturing the wedco water cans.

IMG_9092.jpg

and other side:

IMG_9091.jpg

Quick and easy mod, but very functional.

D

XJBANKER

Explorer
One of our fellow Conqueror owners was having his jerry can holders completely armored because he carries fuel in the holders.
I carry only water in the holders, so I asked him if I could have his two top step tread plates when he took them off.

I installed them yesterday in a quick mod. These simply will keep stones from damaging or puncturing the wedco water cans.

I think that I am going to do something like that for mine. I carry fuel in them so maybe do it a little more extensive. looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven