My Conqueror and Rig!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
And some follow up shots to the trip with the truck and trailer and kidos.

IMG_9630.jpg

IMG_9673.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

Hope you enjoyed these and are inspired to get out there and go places.

Dendy

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
No it poured rain our last full day there. And I mean poured for a full 12 hours. We actually ended up in Gatlinburg and ate in the dry for a change. We then took refuse in the tent and watched movies on the lap top all snuggled up together. Pretty good bonding time with the kidos.

Elk ... next trip.

D

Trailpsycho

Observer
The road from Cataloochee over to Big Creek Ranger Station and I-40 is a nice drive, I have done it several times. I dont think its "legal" to camper camp at any of the beautiful spots along the National Park road between Cataloochee and Big Creek though....not that that is what you guys were doing...it would be cool if you could. However, as you are coming down from Mt Sterling and just as you hit a village just outside Big Creek, you can take a right (head back up the mountain) on more mixed gravel/black top and do another 10-15 miles you end up on the other side of the interstate...its all in NF instead of National Park-land and there were some pull-outs for camping and 4WD looking inlets last time we were out there...several places to explore and camp...but we were in my friends 2WD Exploder Sport and I had a busted ankle.

While your in Cataloochee, if you take the main road to the ranger's station, you can drive several miles into the valley past the Cataloochee trail-head lot. There were many elk, deer, turkey and just about everything but bear. Cataloochee is a nice spot. Great backpacking out of there toward Mt Sterling or the AT. If you ever want to test your stamina, hike the Baxter Creek Trail from Big Creek to Mt Sterling (~4000 ft elevation gain in 6.4 miles).

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
you can take a right (head back up the mountain) on more mixed gravel/black top and do another 10-15 miles you end up on the other side of the interstate...
That's how we got to Yogi Bear to meet Dendy last year; there was a wreck on the interstate and had to bail. The GPS gave us that route and it was beautiful.

AlexJet

Explorer
The truck after modifications to truck and trailer. Here in the Smokey Mountains:
IMG_7176.jpg

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what is it that white on your 4000 lights? Looks like either snow??? or some sort of a cover. I never seen something like this. I have 4000s on my truck and they came with Hellas white covers with vent holes and big Hella lettering, but I mostly run them with mesh guards.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what is it that white on your 4000 lights? Looks like either snow??? or some sort of a cover. I never seen something like this. I have 4000s on my truck and they came with Hellas white covers with vent holes and big Hella lettering, but I mostly run them with mesh guards.

That was ICE!! It was covering everything that day.
A big thick covering of ice.

D

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Nice rig! It's neat to see other into Expo stuff in the Nashville area :D
JG

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Picked up two more Wolf boxes from a fellow Expo member -- thanks Dean Olson!
Plan to organize the nose come with these two. Seems like that place becomes a catch all and I have to move everything out of the way to find anything!

Anyhow these were still sealed in the original box! Thanks Dean for a great sale!

Dendy

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Oh, and for those that e-mailed me with some notion that I own the Classic and the Defender 110 ... the answer is no.

The Classic replaced the 110 when I sold it.

Ironic that the Range Rover Classic cost more than the 110 when new but you can pick them up for peanuts now. Finding the right one is key.
Personally, while the 110 had a great look, I like the Classic better. It is actually better at pulling the trailer (more nimble).
The truck is more comfortable as well.

One more look:

IMG_9671.jpg

Now back to working on the trailer!

D

UNI

Adventurer
NashvilleRover Post #138: Been working on wiring up the four Matador work lights that I mounted on the four corners. I also found out why my fridge plug and rear light were not working ... disconnected wire behind the electric box.

We will be installing the Matador lights on a trailer and I have a question. When you wired the lights up, are you operating the lights from the on/off switch on the light itself?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Yes, ... I have some switches that I thought about using to be able to turn them on and off from inside the tent, ... but I thought it over-kill.

The trailer is actually pretty small although the image from the rear makes it look much larger, and you can get around it pretty quick.
I can reach all the lights from inside the tent when I am up top sleeping.(just have to unzip the screen a little.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions anytime.

Dendy

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The trailer is actually pretty small although the image from the rear makes it look much larger,

I get that a lot too with my trailer. Some people must have missed the section on "perspective" in grade school art class. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven