My summer project (haha) e350 van build

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160909_173111.jpg20160909_173055.jpg

Arggggg....when it rains it pours!
My 2010 vic is bucking bad. Put new plugs and coils in and its still doing it. No fault codes or pending codes so no idea now whats going on although im suspecting torque converter.

Ny 99 navigators sticker expired

And I got this 02 e350 up on stands and think I just opened a can of worms....

I went to throw new rotors and pads on it, had to pb blaster and torch the crap out of the caliper mount bracket to get it off there.
Found the rotors still pretty decent , just alot of rust and scaling in the vent fins. Caliper is good,guide pins are good, pads were low so might as well slap on new rotors too since I got them.
I had no idea this axle also had drum brakes under the rotor.There is probably only 2-3mm left of brake shoe material left on the drum pads. I didnt plan for this so not sure if I should just ignore it for now and just replace them when I put my lift on hopefully soon.... or go get drum pads and replace them which i have no clue of the process.... does axle need pulled?

Further worms are it looks like the axle seals leaking....its not horrible but noticeable.
I hate doing things half a##ed but need this thing on the road to get to work so the ol lady can drive the nav since the vic is bucking like a bronco and no funds to take it to a shop and no real leads to know what to fix myself.

Opinions/ suggestions?

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160909_164814.jpg20160909_164820.jpg20160909_164831.jpg20160909_164807.jpg20160909_164759.jpg20160909_164753.jpg20160909_164744.jpg20160909_164737.jpg

Not really too concerned about rims/tires right now untill I figure out what im doing about drum pads and axle leak above but figured id go ahead and post pics of the inside of the mystery rims I have that were in question.
I think they are american racing rims but not sure. A quick measurement looks like they are 8" wide with 4 to 4.5" backspace.
All kinds of stamps inside which are hard to read but maybe someone will recognize them.

One of the stamps says ar-172.... pretty sure they are bajas

Last edited:
Those are the parking/emergency brake shoes. I wouldn't worry about em.

But your axle seal is leaking. That's more of a concern, cuz it could get oil into your fresh brakes.

deezdrama

Adventurer
Parking brake.... dang im stupid lol, didnt even stop to think about it lol, been a while since ive pulled rear rotors.

Anyway, the gear lube seems to be concentrated right around the seal, i dont think its bad yet. The old pads were dry.
Im going to have to act like I didnt see it leaking for now lol.
Ill change seals and check rotors when I install the lift.

Anyone know what oil I need to top it off? Do I need to add friction modifier?

philos

Explorer
Yup, parking brake.
Those wheels are indeed AR172.

Does your Crown Vic have EGR? If it's stuck, it can run like ish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deezdrama

Adventurer
Yup, parking brake.
Those wheels are indeed AR172.

Does your Crown Vic have EGR? If it's stuck, it can run like ish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 07 vic has egr so sure the 2010 does too. Maybe ill try cleaning it.

On the van....I have the pass side brakes and rotor done.
On the driver side the rotor wont come off. Its broke free but has springy resistance, its caught on the parking brake pads.
Ive pulled and released the brake while recording video and the mechanism is releasing. Why would there be a lip in the drum to catch on unless someone drove around with brakes on all the time.
Cant find an access hole to adjust the spreader. Not sure where to go from here

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Parking brake.... dang im stupid lol, didnt even stop to think about it lol, been a while since ive pulled rear rotors.

Anyway, the gear lube seems to be concentrated right around the seal, i dont think its bad yet. The old pads were dry.
Im going to have to act like I didnt see it leaking for now lol.
Ill change seals and check rotors when I install the lift.

Anyone know what oil I need to top it off? Do I need to add friction modifier?
Deez, I think we established at some point that you have a factory Limited Slip (which has clutches), so the answer is YES, but some gear oils come with friction modifier in them. A good 75W90 will work fine. While you are under there, it is a real good idea to verify that the axle vent hose is not blocked or dry-rotted. It goes from the driver's side axle tube to a plastic V shaped fitting up above. If it is blocked, the gear oil can't expand when it heats up. If the hose is cracked like mine was, water, road salt, or whatever could get in there. Clean the caliper slides real good (especially on the right rear), and use some slide grease. Cheers!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Top it up for now... If it's down much I'd drain and refill. But then you should also do the seals at the same time... slippery slope.

AR172 - aka, 'Baja'
Originally they were polished when new, and I had planned on polishing them. But it was going no to take a crazy amount of work to get them to look decent, so I had them blasted (too big for my cabinet) and then painted them at home in an Amazon shipping box spray booth... hey, it's disposable!

They're 16x8, 4.5" backspace.

Thanks for that!

Gonna have to copy you.

Sorry for the derail OP.

deezdrama

Adventurer
No prob....

Got the new rotors and pads installed. Small amount of diff fluid leaking at the outer seals but will work on that later when installing lift.

Just put in the new idle pulley and belt tensioner pulley and WOW! Super quiet now.... sounds like a well oiled machine.

The 2 chamber thrush muffler is super loud though. Sounds great at idle but under load it drones so bad that your ear drums hurt.
I have the muffler dumping out right after the cat and y about midway back. I wonder if running 3" pipe to back behind rear tire would calm the drone at all?

deezdrama

Adventurer
not much progress lately. Need to go get some wall/roof sheets and carpet. Couldnt find 1/4" mdf last time I looked and wood wall panels were too much for my cheap a##. Whats an ideal cheap panel to use for the walls? Will be covering with exterior marine carpet.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
not much progress lately. Need to go get some wall/roof sheets and carpet. Couldnt find 1/4" mdf last time I looked and wood wall panels were too much for my cheap a##. Whats an ideal cheap panel to use for the walls? Will be covering with exterior marine carpet.

Just say no to MDF! There's a reason it's not available that thin. 1/4" lauan ply is inexpensive ($12 per sheet at HD or similar) and will hold up great with carpet on it. Lowe's sells reflectix in big rolls. They also sell Peel and Seal if you want inexpensive sound deadening, covering at least 25-30% of all large flat panels helps a-lot. I used rigid 1/2" foil faced high R foam for ceiling insulation between the structural ribs. I taped it in place with house wrap tape before installing my white FRP panel ceiling. You need 1/2" self tappers to fasten or you can use nylon push pin rivets if you drill 1/4" holes.

deezdrama

Adventurer
Got backtracked and had to drive out of state last weekend but grabbed some lauan sheets,foamboard,insulation, and carpet last night.

Quick question.
If i adhere the carpet to the lauan sheet while its laying flat position using indoo/outdoor carpet glue.... how long does it need to dry before installing the panel? And once the panel is screwed in and forms a slight curve , will that curve cause the carpet to want to wrinkle or pull away or anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online