Need to get active-er.

Amauri

Explorer
Bad knees and back here.
When I was in San Diego I too made a point of walking Iron Mt., Mt. Woodson, around Poway Lake on early Sat., Sun. mornings. Cost you a pair of shoes and is pretty easy on the knees. Do the telecomm access road to Woodson, You'll love it. Your often rewarded with a nice view at the top. Marine layer settled in between the mountains, blue sky, gives you that cool spiritual feeling.

:costumed-smiley-007
mtw1.jpg

mtw2.jpg

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Kind of an expert.

Not bragging, but I am kind of an expert on this. You see, I had a heart attack on February 22 of this year and it changed my life. Put all this info together and it is correct. Mainly because it is not one thing. One thing will bore you quickly and you won't keep doing it. One rule is get your heart rate up to 80% max at least 10 minutes a day. Could be as simple as taking the stairs a couple of times. But do anything.
And then watch what you eat. My cholesterol was not high enough to sound an alarm at the doctor, but my Triglycerides were off the chart. Meaning too much fatty foods. Lean to read labels. Little by little my friend.
You made the first step, but it is not easy.
Good luck my friend.
I wish you good luck.

Jeff:wings:

roamingaz

Explorer
I'm about the same build as you; 6'3 260 pounds, and like you I am trying to find a way to get the weight off. When I was a long haul driver I was up to 285 mostly because my diet was truck stop food or snacks and I didn't get much pysical work out because I was sitting and driving for 10 hours a day. When I found a local driving job and home every night I started a low carb diet combined with the physical workout I get delivering beverages I lost a lot of weight, I was down to 200 in less then a year. But after my divorce I stopped the diet and even though I still deliver soda and get a major work out pushing a cart or pallet of soda around all day, I still gained most of my weight back.
So I agree diet is the biggest thing you can do to change your lifestyle and lose the extra pounds. I seriously need to get back on a diet myself and as mentioned here maybe I will get a bike and start riding after work.
Good luck.

ExpoMike

Hey Brian, funny you brought this up. Three weeks ago I joined a local gym after talking about it for the last six months. It has been helping but the biggest thing that has helped the most is a change in my diet. Portion control and watching what I eat has been the biggest impact.

I drink mainly water or ice tea with a rare soda now. Since Lisa and I don't cook, we eat out every night but I have been cutting out things that are not needed. Basically no fries or most fried side items. Grill chicken instead of fried. Lettuce wrapped burger versus with a bun. Two slices of pizza instead of 4 or 5. More salads and laying off dessert.

I also go to the gym 3 days a week for about 1 hour (right after work). So far about 6-7 lbs lost. Also changed my lunches to more fruit and yogurt or Lean Cuisine meals.

Small changes will make a big difference. Good luck bud.

Ruination Fan

Adventurer
San Diego? Buy yourself a decent road bike and start riding, ride to work, ride to the store, ride for fun! Low impact, inexpensive (high initial cost, but very low afterwards), fun, and you can do it anywhere.

x2.....great, easy way to get in some cardio. And its hard to back out of the work out if you want to get home :sombrero:. I started riding road with commuting, then got into it a raced for bit and did some club riding, but i am starting to get into riding my Fixed redline 925 around for the simplicity, and should start commuting again with that once work allows(on call). Depending on the terrain for your commute, you could look into a fixed/single speed road bike/hybrid for cheap. And the best part, no coasting when fixed....you have to work.

jh504

Explorer
X3 on the bike. Riding a bike is a great, fun, way to stay in shape. If you want to lose weight then count calories and ride your bike.

keezer37

Explorer
One other thing I'd like to mention is the backslide. It is the most depressing thing to have happen. After sticking to eating right and committing to exercise and actually loosing the weight. You feel good about yourself and...backslide and gain it all back.
One good thing about the navy and going out to sea for 6+ months at a time was it was a controlled environment. That is, one can get into a routine of eating right (someone else is cutting up all those veggies and laying out the fruit so what the heck, I'll eat it) and exercising. Family is not going to disrupt this routine. I came off a cruise at 172 lbs at 72". No six pack but pretty good. I was back to my 207 lbs within three months after.

It is a life long commitment.

I think the worst diet is that Nutrisystem's "Real food for real guys" it keeps the mindset that you can continue to eat that crap. Negative. Not gonna happen.

It's about lifestyle change.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
this thread is getting de-railed. haha. thanks for the input, though.

I've already made lifestyle changes, to re-iterate.

-I don't smoke
-I drink very little
-I walk vigorously twice a day
-I don't eat dairy
-I don't drink soda
-I don't eat chips or cereal anymore, (though I do
eat a small amount of oatmeal every day for cholesterol
control.)
-I've lost 20 solid lbs in the last year...

I'm not looking for an exercise routine per se....I'm more asking about activities that you do keep you active just cuz they're fun.

Some of you guys have hit the nail on the head...thanks for the post telling me what you do...

:)

Wander

Expedition Leader
I was having a similar problem, not living badly but also not losing weight and in fact gaining.

How is your sleep, moods, energy level?

I am asking because mine were lousy so I went to the Dr and found out my thyroid was under producing pretty bad. So I started taking synthroid and the sleep, moods and energy improved a lot which made it a lot easier to exercise and 60 lbs where gone in about 10 months. I have to be careful if I don't watch what I eat or exercise it creeps back.

One thing I didn't see on your list-water, drink a lot of it everyday, you should be peeing clear fluid and eat fiber rich things like apples-to help you...well you know.

My favorite workout is cycling but that is not a quick workout, running is but I don't really enjoy it nor would I consider it fun.

What ever you decide on try to mix cardio with resistance, it really worked for me.

Good Luck!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I was having a similar problem, not living badly but also not losing weight and in fact gaining.

How is your sleep, moods, energy level?

I am asking because mine were lousy so I went to the Dr and found out my thyroid was under producing pretty bad. So I started taking synthroid and the sleep, moods and energy improved a lot which made it a lot easier to exercise and 60 lbs where gone in about 10 months. I have to be careful if I don't watch what I eat or exercise it creeps back.

One thing I didn't see on your list-water, drink a lot of it everyday, you should be peeing clear fluid and eat fiber rich things like apples-to help you...well you know.

My favorite workout is cycling but that is not a quick workout, running is but I don't really enjoy it nor would I consider it fun.

What ever you decide on try to mix cardio with resistance, it really worked for me.

Good Luck!

yeah, I usually pound two nalgene's a day. Come to think of it, I'm thirsty..haha!

Yeah, I'm with you. I hate running.

Archery's something I think is super fun, but its anaerobic, and only works my upper body. I'm trying to things along those lines.

Hacky sac'ing is something I've considered. Cheap, portable...can listen to my Ipod...other people can join me, etc. Used to love doing it...

...AND its a great, "whole-body" workout.

EuroJoe

Adventurer
good ol' fistycuffs

Boxing!

its great fun and you dont need to get a whupping at the same time. I boxed back home and in Boston and found clubs that were about the fitness rather than the fighting, I have spared a few times but hey i'm a lover not a fighter! :victory: Its a good work out tho, jump rope is really tough but maybe not good for your knees ? but i found the mix of cardio, weights and bag work great fun, a god mix and some interesting people.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Boxing!

its great fun and you dont need to get a whupping at the same time. I boxed back home and in Boston and found clubs that were about the fitness rather than the fighting, I have spared a few times but hey i'm a lover not a fighter! :victory: Its a good work out tho, jump rope is really tough but maybe not good for your knees ? but i found the mix of cardio, weights and bag work great fun, a god mix and some interesting people.

One heck of a stress reliever too! Joe, did you have problems with your hands-knuckles? From years of wrenching and playing giutar I already get soreness and wouldn't want to hasten arthritis. That does look like a great, quick and effective workout.

Terrainist

Explorer
A deck of cards with exercises on them was mentioned previously. Used to run thru a regular deck of cards to dictate the number of reps on a given exercise. Called it "going thru the deck" or something similar.

Come up with the exercises you want to do, pull-ups, crunches, squats, lunges, push-ups. Face cards are 'ten', the rest face value. Start with the deck, flip the card over. If your on crunches, and you flip a '2' over, well you just keep turning over cards until the sum of them is an amount you think is better.

What's nice about it is you are committed to doing the number that is on the card. If you are at lunges and you've already done 80 of them previously, and you flip a face card over.... oh the burn. It will make you work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater