New Jurgens off-road Camper Trailers!! Let's have some input....

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hi

I'm new to the forum, but "experienced enough" with the Jurgens Safari caravans - particularly the Xplorer.

I see you mention some of our discussions on the 4x4Community forum and that you want to make some modifications too.

I was actually searching on the web as a friend "heard that Jurgens decided to pull out of Aus because of to many problems with the caravans". I could only find the usual comments of a hand full of people who bought lemons, same as here in RSA.

Well, I can assure you, we enjoy our Xplorer and it does go through rough country. I clean and service after every trip and it will last for a long time.

Cheers
Christo Steyn

Hi Christo,
Thanks for posting. Actually, Jurgens is doing very well in Australia and in no threat of pulling out. I'd love to hear more of your Explorer experience. Any pictures for us? We're confident that the Explorer will do well over here, especially based on its success in southern Africa.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Thank you for restarting this thread. My wife keeps mentioning about a trailer and nothing I have yet found meets the wish list, but the Xplorer does seem awfully close. I would like to see a floor plan with dimensions and wonder if it is possible to use/sleep inside with the pop top down ? Also, what is the flip-out tent at the front of the trailer, please ?

Hi Frank,
It is indeed possible to sleep in/use the camper without deploying the roof. Perfect fr snowy conditions or storms when you want the extra insulation. The flip-out tent at the front is actually an adapted Howling Moon Stargazer, and can be used or not but is a Queen size bed for another 2 people. The main bed is actually on the backside and is bigger than a full Queen size.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Roualeyn,
Thanks for the explanation. You knew what I meant ;)
We probably would not be interested in using the Stargazer at the front and if it could be deleted from the order, that might help, but nonetheless, it is the large size of the main bed that is attractive and this trailer seems more and more to have the sorts of features we would be looking for - a fixed roof with standing height would make it perfect, but that's probably impractical. I am looking forward to when there will be an example in the country.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
We'll have 1 or 2 in the country around the end of the year. We're pretty excited about them and we'd love to get them out there. We'll keep you in touch.

RSAChris

Hi Frank

It is only my wife and I that use the van, we decided to keep the "main bed" made up all the time. She bought an additional 30mm foam rubber sheet that covers the full bed. It is then also easy to use a fitted bed sheet over only the foam rubber. The bed is then made up quickly. The bed is a king size - I know, that is the sheets I had to buy and it fits perfectly.

The roof pops open in no time - 10 seconds at the most. I fitted 2 solar panels and added a second battery. Now I have no issues with camp electrics - even when stationary for 7 days. [well I plug the Disco in too to keep the dual battery in the car charged as well.]

Bunduguy is correct with the star gazer. Fortunately I got the last Xplorer in 2007 that still had the window in front. The star gazer would also be a problem for me as I now use the front bed as packing space for all the tables, chairs and ground sheets. [no space in the front storage bin, I installed an Aircon there - it gets 40 Deg Celsius in summer in the Kruger National Park... fortunately there is 220V supply].

Ther are pics of our trips on our flickr page at www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns

Feel free to ask more questions, I'm sure the usual crowd on this side of the fence will be glad to answer.

Cheers
Christo

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Christo,

Thank you for your opinions and ideas about the trailer and for the link to all the photos (only gotten through the first eight pages, but WOW ! ! ! :sombrero: you live in a beautiful place indeed !).

The photos show the trailer size relative to your Discovery and Defender and that is a help, thanks. I like that side window mod you did on the Defender, by the way, and neat idea about the BMW seats, too :D

That is an excellent idea about keeping the "main bed" made up all the time. I think my wife would prefer that arrangement, too. That it is king size will make her all the more happy. I am also glad to hear that the roof opens quickly and easily, but more than that it will hold solar panels as well as that was something I was wondering about.

Yes, you were fortunate to get the last one with a window at the front. I think we would prefer that arrangement if it were still possible. We would also be using that space at the front, therefore rendering the tent unusable. It would be great if the front window would be available as an option.

Actually, I was going to ask about aircon and heating. Thanks. Most RV set-ups here would attach to the roof. Please, can you tell me about the one that you used which was installed where the front storage bin was ? Is it a "window" type aircon ?

Anyway, thank you very much for the input. I bet that once folks see your photos, there will be all sorts of questions coming ;)

Last edited:

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Frank and Christo,
We'll be doing all the Xplorers to order, so we'll definitely be able to accommodate a range of customizations. We'll tailor the end result to suit the American needs and styles. We are currently looking with the engineers into the A/C on the van, so we will have it installed from factory. I'm sure we'll be able to do the tent as an option, instead of the standard. We'll be in touch and definitely let you know when the first demo arrives. We'll definitely have it at OX2011.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Roualeyn,
That's great news.
We are hoping to make it to OX2011, especially after my wife saw the photos from this year's event.
Although SA probably doesn't need it, a heater in addition to factory aircon would probably be welcome. Being able to have the front window rather than the tent is most welcome, especially after seeing Christo's photos and that the space on the drawbar will be usable.
Thanks !

RSAChris

Hi Frank

Sorry for replying only now - we went to the farm over the weekend - we had a public holiday on the 9th, we took another day off *** well on Friday.

Yes, the aircon unit I used, is a window or "through the wall" unit. It has the heater built in as well... in Winter, we do experience cold, maybe down to -4 Deg C, but not as bad as you!

Roualeyn, I hope you can convince Jurgens to do the front window/tent as an option - same as with one or two doors. This may open it again for our market as well.

It will be great if the supplier can install the aircon unit at the factory, I sincerely hope you can turn their arm with some of the things we have to do "custom" here.

I cant wait to see what you do with it once it is released on your side.

Cheers
Christo

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Christo,

No worries ! :) Very glad you had time away.

Thanks for the explanation about the aircon/heater arrangement. That makes sense. Also, thank you for the 'hints' for Roualeyn when talking to the factory ;) Hopefully, that will benefit everyone.

Sure hope you will post some of your adventures to the forum - I think lots of folks would enjoy the photos !

Take care !

jeremiahak

Are you guys compiling a list of people who are interested in these? If so please put me on the list. This is exactly what my wife and I have been wanting to get. We have kids so the RTT, or typical expedition trailer won't cut it for very long trips. We are also already spoiled by our 5th wheel. Please keep us posted on these. Thanks

Jeremiah

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Count me as #3 who’s strongly in favor of no front, tip-out tent. I would not need nor want maximum sleeping capacity. Sleeping for two is enough and preferred.

Keeping the trailer 'hard sided' except for the pop-up roof is attractive. Most times lifting the roof for head room (hopefully taller than 6'5" inside), but keeping it all closed-up when in extreme weather or concerned about security, bears, etc.

Hi Roualeyn,
That's great news.
We are hoping to make it to OX2011, especially after my wife saw the photos from this year's event.
Although SA probably doesn't need it, a heater in addition to factory aircon would probably be welcome. Being able to have the front window rather than the tent is most welcome, especially after seeing Christo's photos and that the space on the drawbar will be usable.
Thanks !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater