No more Toyotas

SeaRubi

Explorer
You got that right! That's what killed that police officer and his family. The only thing he could have done was to spin out, and there's no telling what would have happened.

Stephanie

so wait ... is there actually a lockout on the gear selector?! NO WAY!!! Who would even buy something like that ... why would they even build something like that :Wow1::gunt:

By the way, this wouldn't happen in a standard shift vehicle. Consumers need to learn a lesson from this: they should be in control of the car - not be controlled by the car.

man on man :(

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yes, can someone confirm you CAN NOT put it in Neutral when driving?

Also, many of these are drive by wire, right?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

I've never tried it at high speeds but I put my tranny in neutral while rolling all the time (coasting to a stop.) Now, obviously, you can't put it in park, but there's no reason why you can't just bump the shifter up a notch into N (you don't even need to press the button or move the gated shifter over - they're designed that way on purpose.) The only reason people don't do it is (a) they don't know they can and (b) they panic and just mash the brake pedal without thinking about the shifter.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
A pretty common sense response to a car taking off unexpectedly would be to stand on the brakes. I'm at a loss to think of a modern vehicle that has an engine capable of overpowering the braking system. If it does, turn the key off. Don't all modern cars have an interlock that prevents the key from locking the steering column unless a button (or similar) is pushed while the key is being rotated?

Pskhaat

...right, but one would certainly think said police officer would have taken those steps? Just curious.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions

I think in '04 all Toyota went to drive by wire as opposed to cable actuated, correct?

Pskhaat

...my thoughts too. As mentioned I don't believe this is mechanical (though maybe), but rather a problem with the potentiometer (or kin) &| ECU?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
...my thoughts too. As mentioned I don't believe this is mechanical (though maybe), but rather a problem with the potentiometer (or kin) &| ECU?

I would bet it is along those lines.

Back in the day when I was a Driver for a dealership, I had a Benz get the peddle stuck to the floor, my only option and it took me too 110+ MPH was to turn the ignition off. I would bet that this solution (mentioned above) would work for this case if it WERE to happen. If someone is concerned about this they should be able to go out and safely test it in a safe location at lower speeds.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
why don't people just shift into neutral and let the motor bounce on the rev limiter?

or did toyota engineers make a lock-out that guarantees death? (

My 100-series Land Cuiser has a built-in safety feature to combat this scenario. I would guess most late-model Toy's are the same. ???

Simply turn the key off in DRIVE. The ignition cuts the engine though it will not go into the steering lock mode. Simply brake or emergency brake to a stop while steering. The 100 series also has 100% braking capabiity with the motor off. As do last and current gen Runners, etc.

Not sure if my 80 has this ignition safety feature or not.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
So if you can shift it into neutral... then why is this different from any other recall? Anyone who has ever driven an older vehicle should know how to handle this, as this kind of thing used to happen all the time.

... getting back to pity parties and blaming Toyota for the fact that you can't handle a tense situation. Toyota screwed up something. They are fixing it. If you have one of the affected vehicles, then rehearse what you will do if it happens to you, which is highly unlikely.

Don't be stupid. The buck stops with you. Get it fixed if it is a problem. If you have loved ones driving it, make sure they know what to do if the need should arise.

Freaking out without making changes never helped anything.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
So if you can shift it into neutral... then why is this different from any other recall? Anyone who has ever driven an older vehicle should know how to handle this, as this kind of thing used to happen all the time.

... getting back to pity parties and blaming Toyota for the fact that you can't handle a tense situation. Toyota screwed up something. They are fixing it. If you have one of the affected vehicles, then rehearse what you will do if it happens to you, which is highly unlikely.

Don't be stupid. The buck stops with you. Get it fixed if it is a problem. If you have loved ones driving it, make sure they know what to do if the need should arise.

Freaking out without making changes never helped anything.

I heard on the news that Toyota's not sure if it might even be a CPU issue. That's unusual if it is and differs from a simple stuck pedal.

mcm4090

Explorer
But the floor mat recall included Tacoma's and this new recall does not included Tacoma's.

There are two different recalls.
The first one is were Toyota has found it is possible for the floor mat to trap the gas pedal. Mostly do to all weather mats on top of carpet mats.

The second one seems to be a mechanical problem with they pedal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz